CZ VS Sig

This gun

i like that its a decocker only

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-tactical-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/

cz-usa-cz-75-sp-01-tactical1-500x333.png

Me too. They're not easy to get though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta read thread titles slower.
I thought it said: "CVS Sig"
I know they stopped selling tobacco but was unaware they had a FFL...

Question for CZ owners - if the gun has no decocker, how do you train with it - do you flip the safety on before holstering? Do you manually decock with opposite hand? The latter would seem a bit dangerous.

I see a lot of conflicting advice - a lot of reviewers will say you having to pull the trigger to decock (like before field stripping) is dangerous, then sometimes even in the same review they'll recommend doing dry fires and/or snap caps for training.

Question for CZ owners - if the gun has no decocker, how do you train with it - do you flip the safety on before holstering? Do you manually decock with opposite hand? The latter would seem a bit dangerous.

I see a lot of conflicting advice - a lot of reviewers will say you having to pull the trigger to decock (like before field stripping) is dangerous, then sometimes even in the same review they'll recommend doing dry fires and/or snap caps for training.

You either run it like a 1911 (C1, cocked and locked) or you thumb the hammer down using whatever you think is the safest method. It sounds hairier than it actually is. Everyone thinks "oh if I slip the guns gonna go off blah blah blah" but it's not that difficult, particularly if you have a slicked up gun that has a reduced power mainspring. It's one of those things that's hard to explain. If I unloaded the pistol and handed it to you, and told you to do it a few times you would probably be like "that's not so bad." The main disadvantage is it's not something you set about doing quickly. The "thumb roll off" method is also pretty safe. Of course theres a debate about where to decock it to. Most CZ folks decock into the half cock notch, although I -THINK- for USPSA production use you have to decock the thing all the way, but I'm not 100% sure of the rules on that. I would think the half cock would be enough, because thats where a BD version would leave the hammer if you decocked the gun with the lever. Sigs do a similar thing but it's not as obvious unless you know how a Sig works.

-Mike

Action shooters who use CZs start hammer down. They lower the hammer manually. I haven't seen one ND, but that is a possibility if you aren't paying attention.

You either run it like a 1911 (C1, cocked and locked) or you thumb the hammer down using whatever you think is the safest method. It sounds hairier than it actually is. Everyone thinks "oh if I slip the guns gonna go off blah blah blah" but it's not that difficult, particularly if you have a slicked up gun that has a reduced power mainspring. It's one of those things that's hard to explain. If I unloaded the pistol and handed it to you, and told you to do it a few times you would probably be like "that's not so bad." The main disadvantage is it's not something you set about doing quickly. The "thumb roll off" method is also pretty safe. Of course theres a debate about where to decock it to. Most CZ folks decock into the half cock notch, although I -THINK- for USPSA production use you have to decock the thing all the way, but I'm not 100% sure of the rules on that. I would think the half cock would be enough, because thats where a BD version would leave the hammer if you decocked the gun with the lever. Sigs do a similar thing but it's not as obvious unless you know how a Sig works.

-Mike

You have to decock all the way

Action shooters who use CZs start hammer down. They lower the hammer manually. I haven't seen one ND, but that is a possibility if you aren't paying attention.

Do you know offhand if hammer down is the intercept/half cock or all the way down? I think in USPSA its all the way down but I haven't checked in forever so I forget which.

ETA: Supermoto answered it, nm

-Mike

My CZ75s have decockers (which I prefer) but my CZ82s have safeties.

I manually decock them rather than keeping them cocked & locked. It takes some practice and attention to what you're doing but it's not "dangerous". Keep it pointed in a safe direction.

CZs have a firing pin block that engages when the trigger is released. I release the trigger as I lower the hammer so the block engages, preventing an accidental discharge if the hammer slips.

-Mike

Ok thanks - yeah, I've done manual decocking with unloaded guns, when I was a total noob, and I probably used my shooting hand thumb on the hammer, which is probably a real bad idea. Using the opposite hand thumb sounds a lot safer I imagine.

I have the opportunity to acquire a new CZ 75 SP-01 shadow custom for the same money as a used Sig 226 elite stainless....anyone shot both? Quality of each? They are not cheap guns so I don't want to rush into one... I believe pre bans are available for both for reasonable money..any other issues I should consider?

DO NOT BUY THE CZ.

Just send me over the seller's contact information right away so I can ummm.....so I can....just send me the information dammit.

DO NOT BUY THE CZ.

Just send me over the seller's contact information right away so I can ummm.....so I can....just send me the information dammit.

I'm a moderator. Send me the contact information so I can relieve them of that dangerous CZ -- it's one of those generous things I'll do for the community. [wink]

The prebans don't look any different from the new ones, frankly, other than the style of basepads, etc. CZ mags are about as primitive as they get. And the finish wears like shit so they'll look 20+ years old in a couple dozen range trips. [laugh] Thank god the guns don't wear like that, lmao. Not to mention there are a ton of 3rd party/knockoff mags made for the platform as well, although in some cases you may need to upgrade the followers to make the slide lock open when empty. I think I had some old tanfo or witness mags that worked fine in mine but they definitely needed the followers replaced. The little shelf on the followers changes shape slightly between designs and that's enough to make them work/not work.

-Mike

I'm finding that some of the new ones look just like the above except follower is blue...I thought I scored a few from dealer he had new old stock from Europe that look exactly like your pics for a decent price but he won't ship to mass...

I'm finding that some of the new ones look just like the above except follower is blue...I thought I scored a few from dealer he had new old stock from Europe that look exactly like your pics for a decent price but he won't ship to mass...

Do the mags with blue followers have markings on the body of the mags? Most of the blue follower mags I've seen were new ones made by MecGar with "MecGar" stamped on the side of the mag.

The only other thing I can recommend for finding preban mags is check GB, gunsamerica, and gunauction.com every so often. That's how I grabbed my preban mags last year. I usually search for "CZ 15 round" or "CZ 15 rd".

Also try PMing "The Anchor". If I recall, he was able to grab a bunch of preban mags back in the spring. Might be able to work something out if he still has them and if he's willing to part with some of them...

Last edited:
Got the CZ and took it to the range...its heavy...I can't believe how well I shot it...the Fiber optic sights really helped my tired eyes...took awhile to get used to the trigger...in SA its very light and the reset is almost immediate..is that normal for CZ?

Got the CZ and took it to the range...its heavy...I can't believe how well I shot it...the Fiber optic sights really helped my tired eyes...took awhile to get used to the trigger...in SA its very light and the reset is almost immediate..is that normal for CZ?

Well, if you're shooting an SCT it's pretty normal. [laugh]

-Mike

Yes![bow]

Back
Top Bottom