CZ VS Sig

cfbackrow

NES Member
I have the opportunity to acquire a new CZ 75 SP-01 shadow custom for the same money as a used Sig 226 elite stainless....anyone shot both? Quality of each? They are not cheap guns so I don't want to rush into one... I believe pre bans are available for both for reasonable money..any other issues I should consider?

I have a Sig X-Five 226 and many CZ's. I don't own an SP-01 but have shot them... and love them.

The Sig is big... really big. How big are your hands. For me the CZ always fit me like a glove.

Having said that the Sig is a laser beam. As several good friends say, shooting the Sig X-Five is like cheating.

My gut tells me I'd go for the new CZ but you don't have a bad choice.

both are awesome.
for fondle value i would go sig elite stainless
for straight up shooting and performance, hands down SP-01 shadow custom

also for "market value", i would think a new SP-01 shadow custom is worth more $ than a used sig elite stainless, unless the sig is a some special variant.

No question, SP-01 Shadow. I've shot an accurized Shadow (not done by CZ custom) and it is VERY accurate and fits my hand very well. It's also got some weight to it which helps with recoil/follow up shots. A SP-01 shadow is on my list of future guns to buy but I need to save a bit for it (tax return buy maybe??[laugh]). A new SP-01 shadow that's been customized by cajungunworks would run me just over $1,500 after shipping and transfer fees. Not sure what this particular one is going for or what a used Sig 226 elite goes for.

I have some preban mags for my CZ75b and a recently acquired preban mag still in the CZ wrapper/packaging.

Ditto what squib said.

In this state the value of the CZ should be higher than the used Sig.

And if you do pass on the CZ... PM me the details of it. I may be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the standard CZ 75B and a friend who is a much better shot than I can pick off soft drink cans out to 50 yds no problem.

Hold them both, and, if possible, shoot them both. Some people will prefer one or the other, some people will just like or dislike them both. Ergos are what's most important. I love both brands, they're both fine, high quality pistols. I don't think one is really more accurate than the other. It comes down to what feels better to you. As for resale value, who gives a shit? You'll drop several times the price of the firearm into ammo and accessories anyway, and it's not like top tier pistols depreciate like a japanese hybrid car.

Glock??? Kidding either is a fine firearm I happen to have trouble racking cz slides too small and I have sausage fingers/ hands. It really depends on your preference slim grips cz fat grips sig. Even if you swap grips the sig is chunky. Triggers each have their merits. Unfortunately you can't shoot them first that'd be your best test. Because no offense I doubt your going to push each pistol to its limits accuracy wise. But you will undoubtedly shoot one better than the other. In this case though see if you can try before you buy. But you'll get back what you put into the gun if you aren't a fan

for those of you that are knowledgeable ...is the price difference between the SP-01 shadow and SP-01 shadow custom worth it?

I think it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Competition? Custom. Just a range toy? Shadow (though the standard shadow would be plenty good in competition, just not to the extent of the custom model). Even just the shadow is a somewhat custom gun, just not to the extent of what CZ Custom does to them. Also depends on what the price difference is between the two. If you just want a range gun and they're $500-$700 difference, I guess I'd lean towards the Shadow but if it was like $100-$200 difference I'd just pay the extra $ and get the custom.

Last edited:
Is a Sig Elite really that much better than a standard P226? My W German P226 is so accurate it's hard to believe it's worth upgrading to an Elite.

I vote CZ.

I have the opportunity to acquire a new CZ 75 SP-01 shadow custom for the same money as a used Sig 226 elite stainless....anyone shot both? Quality of each? They are not cheap guns so I don't want to rush into one... I believe pre bans are available for both for reasonable money..any other issues I should consider?

The shadow wins hands down, no contest. You really need something like an P226 X-Five to even begin comparing the two, at least that fight would be fair.

-Mike

• New style sights consisting of Fiber Optic front and Competition Style rear promote faster and more accurate target acquisition.
  • Shadow is fitted with a newly redesigned hammer originating from the CZ 75 Champion. This hammer is slightly wider and has modified sear engagement for smoother release and more positive ignition.
  • 85 Combat style slide without firing pin block helps to smooth the trigger pull and improve distance of trigger reset.
  • 85 Combat Style trigger with over travel adjustment helps to remove excess rear ward trigger movement.
  • Higher cuts beneath the trigger guard and beaver tail enable a higher grip on the gun, which helps to reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip.
  • Lighter recoil and main springs originating from original CZ 75 Specifications help to create a smoother more consistent action.
  • Safeties as found on the CZ 75 SA are fitted as standard; these provide a larger surface area for better positioning of the thumb.
  • Extended Magazine release allows for ease of reach and more positive ejection of magazine under stressful situations.
  • Fully beveled magazine well, substantially improves speed and ease of reloading.

its a shadow custom so I think its had all that work already done...at least I hope it has for the price I'm paying

Yes, it's all pretty much done. There used to be a skinflint shadow (about $800) but those guns might as well be unicorns now, CZ Custom gets most of the shadows now and they get done, and all the mods are well worth it. You won't be displeased. About the only thing you may end up changing is the grips and that's mostly a matter of taste/style/feel. The wood grips on the SCT I had werent bad but I think in the long run I would have went with the aluminum panel jobs found on some variants.

-Mike

I think it depends on what you plan on doing with it. Competition? Custom. Just a range toy? Shadow (though the standard shadow would be plenty good in competition, just not to the extent of the custom model). Even just the shadow is a somewhat custom gun, just not to the extent of what CZ Custom does to them. Also depends on what the price difference is between the two. If you just want a range gun and they're $500-$700 difference, I guess I'd lean towards the Shadow but if it was like $100-$200 difference I'd just pay the extra $ and get the custom.

There's also the problem that the skinflint shadows (the cheap model with the rubber grips) are actually kinda hard to find. A few years ago you could get them easily but I don't see a ton in circulation. I think CZ Custom ends up with most of them now and they get turned into SCT, etc, and Accu Shadows now.

-Mike

SP01 Shadow, hands down. Then send it to these guys to be slicked up: http://cajungunworks.com/

Yep David at cajungunworks is a master of CZ gunsmithing. I sent my 75b to him last winter to get his pro package and upgraded sights installed. Incredible work. Probably my favorite handgun I own, next to my Dan Wesson PM9. Sometime I'll save up to get one of his cajunized shadows...

There's also the problem that the skinflint shadows (the cheap model with the rubber grips) are actually kinda hard to find. A few years ago you could get them easily but I don't see a ton in circulation. I think CZ Custom ends up with most of them now and they get turned into SCT, etc, and Accu Shadows now.

-Mike

Yeah I can't seem to find just a standard SP-01 shadow that hasn't been customized by CZ custom or cajungunworks.

I have a CZ Shadow custom and prefer it over the SIGs I own (P226 Stainless and X5 All Around). The SIGs are better built with much more attention to detail and are probably the finest stock semi autos I own, but required custom trigger work which cost a bundle. The problem with the SIGs is that their design is dated. The CZ has a design that places the barrel closer to your hand which results in less muzzle flip. This means that the Shadow has less muzzle flip than the X5 which weighs four or five oz more.

Be careful when buying a Shadow if you are interested in competitive shooting. I have an Accu Shadow which was banned from IDPA competition last year. Make sure your intended purchase will meet the rules of your chosen discipline.

Ditto what squib said.

In this state the value of the CZ should be higher than the used Sig.

And if you do pass on the CZ... PM me the details of it. I may be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[laugh2] Shot both. Used a P226 in IDPA for a while and switched to my G34. (although for simple target shooting I'd prefer the P226 to the G34) Shot a CZ Custom shop accuShadow and fell in love with it. Been looking for one for 3 months now to use in USPSA.

So after more research and questions it looks like the CZ is the base shadow custom....has the rubber grips that Mike mentioned.....still worth the money? I don't want to send it out for any upgrades I really just wanted a out of the box shooter

So after more research and questions it looks like the CZ is the base shadow custom....has the rubber grips that Mike mentioned.....still worth the money? I don't want to send it out for any upgrades I really just wanted a out of the box shooter

That just means all you have to do is buy new grips[wink]

This gun

i like that its a decocker only

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-tactical-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/

cz-usa-cz-75-sp-01-tactical1-500x333.png

Back
Top Bottom