• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ75b matte stainless or polished? Preban mags?

DW357

NES Member
Been thinking about getting a CZ75b for my next pistol purchase and see that there is a high polished model which looks really nice and flashy, and also the matte stainless finish. I really like the high polished model (even if I'd look like a Mexican drug cartel boss owning one [laugh]) but I'm thinking it will probably be a PITA to keep clean and scratch free etc. Anyone have experience with both?

Ya ya I know they're not on the 'list' but to keep people from posting "they're not MA compliant", let's just say I can get either one. End of discussion.

I've been reading through older threads and it seems like these are very well liked/made pistols. Although I've read mixed opinions on the out-of-box triggers and the sights aren't great?

Also, are there preban mags available for these? When I buy one, it comes with 2 10 round magazines but was curious if they have preban 'hicap mags'?

Any tips/advice/opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Any of the CZs are ****ing incredible. I don't really like the new plastic gun (the P07 or whatever it is) but the others are all great in my book... just they don't make enough guns to meet demand.

There are plenty of prebans around but you have to go looking. Also lots of clone mags (Tanfoglio, EAA, etc) will fit these guns as well. You may have to change the followers to get the slide to lock back though. Good luck determining whether or not they're preban, but there are a lot of mags regardless. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled in gun store junk boxes and the like.

-Mike

CZs rock. I'm not a fan of polished personally so id go with matte. Enjoy the gun if you go for it.

shipwreck - DTOM

Any of the CZs are ****ing incredible. I don't really like the new plastic gun (the P07 or whatever it is) but the others are all great in my book... just they don't make enough guns to meet demand.

There are plenty of prebans around but you have to go looking. Also lots of clone mags (Tanfoglio, EAA, etc) will fit these guns as well. You may have to change the followers to get the slide to lock back though. Good luck determining whether or not they're preban, but there are a lot of mags regardless. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled in gun store junk boxes and the like.

-Mike

Good to know. Thanks. I'll have to keep an eye out at gun shows and shops. I see Mec-Gar currently makes CZ75 mags but that doesn't help me since they're postban. Although like you said, not sure if someone could tell if they would postban or preban. I'll probably end up putting a WTB ad for preban mags to see if any fellow NESers have any.

- - - Updated - - -

CZs rock. I'm not a fan of polished personally so id go with matte. Enjoy the gun if you go for it.

shipwreck - DTOM

Yeah I'm starting to lean towards the matte finish so I wouldn't drive myself crazy keeping it polished and scratch free 24/7. Thanks!

So they have decent DA/SA triggers? The only DA/SA gun I have is a Ruger P89 and the trigger isn't too bad. I'll probably be putting that up for sale to put towards the CZ.

I have a polished and love it. I looked at both and found the matte actually shows more scratches. Check out the CZ forums on different sites. The polished has been very easy to keep looking new. Just my two cents. I had 5 post ban 16 rd magazines before moving back to MA and now I just have one 10 rounder. Such a waste for a full size pistol. I may be interested in selling it for this reason alone. Good luck.

So they have decent DA/SA triggers? The only DA/SA gun I have is a Ruger P89 and the trigger isn't too bad. I'll probably be putting that up for sale to put towards the CZ.
I have a p01, the DA/SA was a little rough at first. I mean more than DA was really stiff. A CGW spring kit and race sear, all to the good now. Highly recommend it. People say CZs are tough to work on, just go slow and its super easy.

shipwreck - DTOM

I have a polished and love it. I looked at both and found the matte actually shows more scratches. Check out the CZ forums on different sites. The polished has been very easy to keep looking new. Just my two cents. I had 5 post ban 16 rd magazines before moving back to MA and now I just have one 10 rounder. Such a waste for a full size pistol. I may be interested in selling it for this reason alone. Good luck.

Yeah I did read that on another forum. People were saying that you just have to use Flitz metal polish to buff any scratches/imperfections. But I didn't hear that the matte shows scratches more than the polished. I Really do like the polished better even if it's flashy. I have some thinking to do. Thanks for the info!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a p01, the DA/SA was a little rough at first. I mean more than DA was really stiff. A CGW spring kit and race sear, all to the good now. Highly recommend it. People say CZs are tough to work on, just go slow and its super easy.

shipwreck - DTOM

Yeah I wouldn't trust myself working on it. The most trigger work experience I have is changing out a hammer spring on my Ruger Super Redhawk revolver.

If you have time, you should post some pics of your CZ. I'd like to see it and I'm sure everyone else wouldn't mind seeing a shiny pistol lol.

-Mike

Almost had a lead on some preban mags when I came across Hunter's Trading Post' website, they had CZ75 (preban) 15 rd mags for sale but when I just called they have already been sold [frown]. Damn.

i love my CZ's but coming from some fine 1911's - I am picky so spruced them up to perfection. You should decide if you want decocker or manual safety type CZ first, then the size and model based on purpose. For competitions I am planning to use CZ 75 BD and SP-01 Tactical, both decocking models. I would hate manually decocking in a safety model for competitions.

My sprucing up - self service, includes about 300 dollars in parts from CGW, and about 4 hours of fun work. Or you can send to CGW and get the things done.

Reduced DA reach, much better SA reset, 7 lb DA and 3.5 lb SA ! Here's a pic of the 75 BD

i have done the following upgrades to it:

Reduced power trigger return spring
Reach reduction disconnector compatible with SRS
SRS (13# main spring, extended FP, reduced power FP spring, FP block spring and upgraded FP block lifter arm)
upgraded hammer
fiber front (5.5 mm)
LPA adjustable rear

Plus: optimally polished trigger bar, sear cage, sear, lower part of hammer strut.

and more recently thin aluminum grips (not in pic).

if you intend to carry, nothing better than a P-01 (compact). No question, and you can upgrade the internals similarly.

wealth of info at czfirearms.us - good forum helpful people.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
i love my CZ's but coming from some fine 1911's - I am picky so spruced them up to perfection. You should decide if you want decocker or manual safety type CZ first, then the size and model based on purpose. For competitions I am planning to use CZ 75 BD and SP-01 Tactical, both decocking models. I would hate manually decocking in a safety model for competitions.

My sprucing up - self service, includes about 300 dollars in parts from CGW, and about 4 hours of fun work. Or you can send to CGW and get the things done.

Reduced DA reach, much better SA reset, 7 lb DA and 3.5 lb SA ! Here's a pic of the 75 BD

i have done the following upgrades to it:

Reduced power trigger return spring
Reach reduction disconnector compatible with SRS
SRS (13# main spring, extended FP, reduced power FP spring, FP block spring and upgraded FP block lifter arm)
upgraded hammer
fiber front (5.5 mm)
LPA adjustable rear

Plus: optimally polished trigger bar, sear cage, sear, lower part of hammer strut.

and more recently thin aluminum grips (not in pic).

if you intend to carry, nothing better than a P-01 (compact). No question, and you can upgrade the internals similarly.

wealth of info at czfirearms.us - good forum helpful people.

This would strictly be a range gun, not competition other than informal plate shoots once in a great while. Already have a carry gun too so I don't really mind a manual safety or decocker.

Wow, well it sounds like you got a great shooter there with all the upgrades. I doubt I could do that work myself, I'd have to send it out if I decided to down the road. I've never held or shot one so I don't know how the factory trigger is. Thanks for the info!

Factory is decent, the DA is long and hard... Until you make the upgrades, then factory feels like the Middle Ages - but I know that's not fair. If you don't want to invest a lot, do the following in this order:

get a model with rubber (not plastic) grips
replace main spring to 13# (7 dollars)
if you are up for it get the SRS - 60 dollars, this includes the 13# as per my earlier post
replace factory front with fiber front - 40 dollars

You will get 80% of the improvements at a fraction of the cost I incurred.

I have been looking at CZ-75Bs since last summer. I handled a bright stainless and decided that it was just too much bling.
I might have gone for the brushed stainless if one were available, reasonably priced. Doubleing the price for stainless don't work for me.
I got a blued (polycoated) one here in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and am liking it pretty much.
The over travel on the trigger pull could really use a bit of improvement.

I fired a couple of boxes of mixed factory ammo so far and am satisfied with the function and accuracy.
There was a single malfunction but it was with aluminum cased blazer ammo so I'm not concerned.
The mixed ammo, 7 or so different types, kept all the shots in about 2-1/2" at 15 yards.

I have been looking for preban 15 rd mags but have not found any yet. I did find some 16 rounders than were pinned to hold only 10 rounds. The Mecgar mags seem to be good quality. I would be cautious about other brands.

Jack

Factory is decent, the DA is long and hard... Until you make the upgrades, then factory feels like the Middle Ages - but I know that's not fair. If you don't want to invest a lot, do the following in this order:

get a model with rubber (not plastic) grips
replace main spring to 13# (7 dollars)
if you are up for it get the SRS - 60 dollars, this includes the 13# as per my earlier post
replace factory front with fiber front - 40 dollars

You will get 80% of the improvements at a fraction of the cost I incurred.

Good to know. So these are all just 'drop in' upgrades? I'm sure I could find some YouTube videos on disassembly to do these?

Good to know. So these are all just 'drop in' upgrades? I'm sure I could find some YouTube videos on disassembly to do these?

youtube + a couple of punches + hammer + screw driver + slave pin for sear cage (CGW) + (if interested - slave pin for trigger if changing trigger spring) + nose plier + dental pick + work lamp + magnifying head set (mine also has led light) + 220 grit paper + 1500 grit paper + Qtips + flitz (polish) + spare L spring (part 9) since it is easy for it to fly.

I have been looking at CZ-75Bs since last summer. I handled a bright stainless and decided that it was just too much bling.
I might have gone for the brushed stainless if one were available, reasonably priced. Doubleing the price for stainless don't work for me.
I got a blued (polycoated) one here in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and am liking it pretty much.
The over travel on the trigger pull could really use a bit of improvement.

I fired a couple of boxes of mixed factory ammo so far and am satisfied with the function and accuracy.
There was a single malfunction but it was with aluminum cased blazer ammo so I'm not concerned.
The mixed ammo, 7 or so different types, kept all the shots in about 2-1/2" at 15 yards.

I have been looking for preban 15 rd mags but have not found any yet. I did find some 16 rounders than were pinned to hold only 10 rounds. The Mecgar mags seem to be good quality. I would be cautious about other brands.

Jack

I'm torn between the polished and matte models. I'm just a sucker for stainless guns, most of my guns are stainless finishes (revolvers, 1911s, Ruger MKIII, even a shiny mossberg 500). But I don't mind the price for that finish. I can get one for just over $700 which isn't bad.

I did manage to find some unmarked 15 rd prebans on gunbroker.

If you want to check out my polished SS in person let me know. I'm pretty close to Gloucester. I'll sell it for $600 with box, all papers, rubber grips, and one 10 round mag. It has about 350 rounds through it plus about 500 trigger pulls with snap caps. It's very accurate and I think the trigger is actually very smooth. I can't post pics yet until I have more posts or pay to join the site. PM me and I can send pics to you if you're interested.

If you want to check out my polished SS in person let me know. I'm pretty close to Gloucester. I'll sell it for $600 with box, all papers, rubber grips, and one 10 round mag. It has about 350 rounds through it plus about 500 trigger pulls with snap caps. It's very accurate and I think the trigger is actually very smooth. I can't post pics yet until I have more posts or pay to join the site. PM me and I can send pics to you if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer as that's a very fair price but I just ordered new one for $100 more. I should be picking it up later this week.

How come you're selling it?

Last edited:
I wasn't really planning on selling it but since you were looking for one I thought I'd throw it out there. I think you're going to love it. Let me know if you find any pre-ban mags that you aren't going to buy. Good luck with the purchase.

I wasn't really planning on selling it but since you were looking for one I thought I'd throw it out there. I think you're going to love it. Let me know if you find any pre-ban mags that you aren't going to buy. Good luck with the purchase.

Ohh, gotcha. Yeah I can't wait to pick it up. I'm bidding on a gunbroker auction for 2 15 rd unmarked mags, that ends in 3 hours. I'll see if I can find some others for ya.

These were the mags I bid/won on GB which as far as I can tell are/could be preban. They have no markings on them and the seller told me he believes they're older factory mags. In addition, they hold 15 rounds and from the research I've done, the older/preban mags only held 15 not 16 like the newer mags. Lastly, he told me he will be putting more of these mags up for sale later today...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=466623444

These were the mags I bid/won on GB which as far as I can tell are/could be preban. They have no markings on them and the seller told me he believes they're older factory mags. In addition, they hold 15 rounds and from the research I've done, the older/preban mags only held 15 not 16 like the newer mags. Lastly, he told me he will be putting more of these mags up for sale later today...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=466623444

congrats! Looking good.

I had a high polish stainless, sold it to buy a 75 Omega that I use the frame for a kadet kit. A matte black slide on a shiny frame looks weird.

I really like the 75 series and have consolidated to just Shadows and that Omega frame with kadet kit. The new stainless 75's use the same frame as the 75 Shadows, SP01's and Omega. The normal 75 uses an older frame that doesn't fit my hand as perfect as the new frames.

As to preban mags, I have some that are truly preban. They were still in the original packaging and very expensive. I bought some preban Israeli mags in their original cardboard boxes too, also stupid expensive.

I had a high polish stainless, sold it to buy a 75 Omega that I use the frame for a kadet kit. A matte black slide on a shiny frame looks weird.

I really like the 75 series and have consolidated to just Shadows and that Omega frame with kadet kit. The new stainless 75's use the same frame as the 75 Shadows, SP01's and Omega. The normal 75 uses an older frame that doesn't fit my hand as perfect as the new frames.

As to preban mags, I have some that are truly preban. They were still in the original packaging and very expensive. I bought some preban Israeli mags in their original cardboard boxes too, also stupid expensive.

Yeah the Shadows are really nice guns and would love to get one at some point but little out of my price range at the moment.

Those kadet kits are pretty cool and I hear they're very reliable too. Maybe get one of those down the road at some point. Are there cheaper places to order those kadet kits other than directly from CZ?

Where did you manage to score those mags in original packaging? Do any of your preban mags look like the ones I bought in the GB auction link above? They're unmarked and 15 rounds so I think it would be tough for someone to prove they're NOT preban. Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah the Shadows are really nice guns and would love to get one at some point but little out of my price range at the moment.

Those kadet kits are pretty cool and I hear they're very reliable too. Maybe get one of those down the road at some point. Are there cheaper places to order those kadet kits other than directly from CZ?

Where did you manage to score those mags in original packaging? Do any of your preban mags look like the ones I bought in the GB auction link above? They're unmarked and 15 rounds so I think it would be tough for someone to prove they're NOT preban. Maybe I'm wrong.

Those GB mags look identical to my preban mags. I have hoards of new 16+ mags outside MA and there is a noticeablee difference between preban and postban mags. Feel confident that those are preban; the coating, capacity, and no markings make it solidly a preban magazine.

The preban mags in the original packaging I bought before moving to MA from some CZ collectors I know.

The kadet kit is cheaper from other places, but CZ is a good and reliable source. I bought mine from them.

Those GB mags look identical to my preban mags. I have hoards of new 16+ mags outside MA and there is a noticeablee difference between preban and postban mags. Feel confident that those are preban; the coating, capacity, and no markings make it solidly a preban magazine.

The preban mags in the original packaging I bought before moving to MA from some CZ collectors I know.

The kadet kit is cheaper from other places, but CZ is a good and reliable source. I bought mine from them.

Awesome! I would assume $46 for 2 preban mags is a good deal then. This guy has more, I should tell him I'll send another money order for the others lol. There was at least one guy in this thread that was looking for prebans. Thanks for the info/confirmation on the mags.

Back
Top Bottom