• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

D-Day 73 years ago

I know the main invasion started on 6Jun but wasn't the beach landing cleared by Navy Frogmen a day earlier?

nope, I was wrong...carry on.

Last edited:
Can't speak for the other points of landing but standing on Omaha Beach a November ago was frightening just imagining what those poor bastards faced. May they rest in peace.

Brave Men fighting for their Brothers to the left and to the right. Pushing on. Never Yielding. This is the American Fighting Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine. God Bless and well done.

My father-in-law landed on Omaha beach. Joe was a short fella and when he jumped off the landing craft into the ocean, loaded with gear, he sunk to the bottom and was over his head. Another soldier fortunately saw him, grabbed him by the collar and pulled him up and into shallower waters.

He was shot on day two or three, patched up at a hospital, and then sent back into combat.

Here's the thing. Joe was one of the meekest, mildest human beings I've ever met. He wouldn't say sh*t if he had a mouthful. And when he spoke of these war time experiences it was really hard to realize what he was involved in.

Joe was born the same day as JFK, May 29th, 1917. Both JFK and Joe would have turned 100 last week. Sadly we lost him some years ago.

When going through my mother-in-law's belongings we found something amazing. Joe had kept his landing map from Omaha beach. It's tattered and yellowed, but still an amazing piece of history. He left it to my son, who BTW is in the Army now.

RIP Joe. You done your family and country proud!

My Dad was there as a 23 year old PO1 aboard the USS Glennon (DD-620) until it hit a mine and went down off of Utah beach. He was one of 38 wounded. He was hit in the neck with shrapnel. He was very lucky as it was very close to spinal column. 25 brave Sailors were also lost.

With out a doubt the greatest generation

18882230_1591853727505005_8377029295320865346_n.jpg

Not one word of this in the local papers or news sites today. [sad2]

I guess I was expecting too much [thinking]

My grandfather was on that beach. He was one tough son of a bitch.

Bless him. I think all of them were pretty much tough SOBs. It's a shame that 13,000 dropped bombs missed the German fortifications due to low clouds, haze, etc, otherwise, it might have been much easier for the allies to storm Omaha.

Both of my grandfathers were part of operation overlord during the Allied invasion of Normandy. My grandfather, on my mothers side, was one of seven brothers that served. They had a victory ship christened in their honor. One of the brothers, Daniel, was a POW in a Nazi camp.
They all made it back. But they are all gone now. God bless all those brave men.
e4abf1ad5f4637c7de98190e15cb7820.jpg
5b89c13a3d827e3f09a0f6c42625e098.jpg
3858063669e575c9705e0538698b5eb6.jpg
0324a6d6b1dcd31e5557b10b2a4282df.jpg
6cf07bcc0553d5f83da25a4410e0c716.jpg
3f4bc5e7676f073d270308e6cf244abf.jpg
6fd9bb8005ae5c8039e26ccacdd26ef8.png
a896141941cd47223d70dc16e74694c4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bless him. I think all of them were pretty much tough SOBs. It's a shame that 13,000 dropped bombs missed the German fortifications due to low clouds, haze, etc, otherwise, it might have been much easier for the allies to storm Omaha.

Not necessarily. There were German 205mm emplacements in the Cotentin that held out, still firing the entire time, until D+8, despite continual naval shelling and aerial bombing.

Those Germans knew how to build. Taking those strongpoints always required boots on the ground, worn by tough men.

Last edited:
I didn't see anything on necn news about the anniversary of D-Day or in our local paper out here in franklin county. (sad) Plenty of news about high schools and how bad they are for using native american mascots though. [rolleyes]

Greg

My dad landed on Omaha Red and went all the way to the Rhine. 90% of his unit died on the beach. They were in the second wave. It never left him...

My Grandfather was in the front lines in Normandy on D-Day. He go blasted in the stomach with a machine gun from a Nazi. Thrown in the dead pile. One of his friends was walking by and heard him moaning. They dragged him out and he ended up making it. Looked like he had 8 or 9 bellybuttons and definitely had what we now know is PTSD(back then they just called it shellshocked).

My Grandfather was in the front lines in Normandy on D-Day. He go blasted in the stomach with a machine gun from a Nazi. Thrown in the dead pile. One of his friends was walking by and heard him moaning. They dragged him out and he ended up making it. Looked like he had 8 or 9 bellybuttons and definitely had what we now know is PTSD(back then they just called it shellshocked).

Wild. Glad he made it.

My Dad was at Utah beach that day...Never said much about any war stuff till the day after I enlisted...Used to bust my chops about Navy guys eating so well.. Told me about trading a Lugar for a apple pie from a supply ship messman

Not one word of this in the local papers or news sites today. [sad2]

I guess I was expecting too much [thinking]

I don't watch TV other than news at dinner (Wife turns it on over kitchen table), but had a Masonic Lodge dinner meeting last night. When I got home my Wife commented on nothing being on the news about D-Day. I did get in some conversations at the Lodge after the meeting, one Brother told me about his Family involvement in D-Day, some amazing survival stories. My late Father went over D+10.

RIP to all those brave souls of the Greatest Generation.

[halfmast]

Back
Top Bottom