• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

D&L SHOOTING SUPPLIES INC

NES Member
http://www.dlshootingsupplies.com/
2663 W SHORE RD,
WARWICK, RI 02889
800-564-1889

So I ventured out to Warwick today just to check this place out. It's a fairly decent size place with quite a few guns. I was so jealous of the guns that they had. I forget what the first gun I looked at was, but the sales person said, "you should take it home" I wanted to cry when I said, "I would if I didn't live in the PRM" so he said, "Why don't ya move to RI then", my reply "then I couldn’t carry these beautiful guns". Overall nice place. Seamed like friendly people. They didn't try to sell me everything the had, and the prices didn't require a second mortgage on the house but ammo prices were a little above average.

Yes I frequent that place quite a bit. And yes his ammo prices are a little steep unless you buy when the owner isnt there then I usally get a deal..... :D

shooter45 said:
Yes I frequent that place quite a bit. And yes his ammo prices are a little steep unless you buy when the owner isnt there then I usally get a deal..... :D

LOL [lol]

D&L Hunting Lodge, Warwick R.I.

I just wanted to let you all know that this place is a breath of fresh air compared with other shops. There were plenty of EBRs and many other rifles and pistols on display. Prices were reasonable. Staff is very friendly and if they don't have what you are looking it will be ordered ASAP.

I will be going back there for supplies when necessary. Hooters is nearby if you like quality chicken.

D&L Shooting in Warwick RI

This has got to be the worst case of gouging ever by D&L!!!! 6 months ago i ordered a stag 2TL and finally recieved it last week. I was told when i ordered it that it would be $1250.00 which i new was $100 over MSRP but i figured what the heck Al was the only one on Stag's web site that was wiling to place the order so it was worth it. So i placed a $200 deposit on the order. I was very excited as this is my first AR purchase.

I get a call from Al that that it was about to ship from the distributor to D&L and i needed to go back in to re do the state paper work because it had been so long. so i did. on the 7th day i called to see if the paper work was back and if the rifle had arrived as expected, between the three people there no one could answer me. I thought it was weird so i went down there. The rifle arrived so all i had to do is sign the state paper work 2 other forms from D&L and pay the SURPRISE BALANCE OF $1400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!($1600 total)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My initial reaction was that there must be some mistake because of the following:

1. the stag web site says the retails price was $1150
2. I was told that it was going to be $1250
3. how could you just spring that on someone after six months with no explaination

THe only thing the guy who was helping me said was "i dont know what to tell you, thats Al's handwriting on the slip"(this was the same guy who didnt bother offering me any instruction on any of the safety features on the rifle)
Minitial reaction faded away real quick after that and it turned into anger. i kept my cool and asked the gentleman, i think his name was Al too but not the owner, to have Al (owner) call me. Well it never happened. i was going to just ask him for an explaination, i am a realist and i know sometime shit happens. Worst case i was going to ask him to meet me half way on the increase or at least throw some ammo my way or something. I RECIEVED NO CALL!!!!! its not even about the money , i will always make more. it is about the piss poor customer service and the outright lie i was fed about the price. I ended up taking the rifle and left that store with the worst taste in my mouth. All i can hope for now is that someone learns from my mistake and shop elsewhere. yeah sure they have a nice store and good selection but it can all be found elsewhere. Honestly i would have walked out of there with $400 worth of accessories and ammo. instead i left pissed off!!! since then i have convinced at least 5 people not to buy there .and i will not stop till i stop shooting or die.

I've become thoroughly disappointed by the price and service at D&L. My favorites are Mid-State, Big Bear, and Bullseye.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at D&L. I have bought a few guns from them and have always had good experiences. Al (the owner) has been helphul and I found his firearms selection better than most, but not necessarily the cheapest. If he has the gun you want and nobody else has it........pay the price or go without; supply and demand.

My advice would be to give Al another call to see if he can justify the price increase and explain why you were treated the way you were at his store. He is usually at the store later on in the morning.

After you speak with him, please let us know what he had to say.

Give Heritage Gun and Coin a shot if it is not too far of a hike for you (Warwick/W. Warwick line). They have been easy folks to deal with so far, and I have not seen them treat their customers like a homeless person staggering into their daughter's wedding (as some of the places in the area have a habit of doing)

And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way. They have been honest and friendly with me, and I support business that do that.

I've had great luck over there, the 5 or 6 times I've been (before and after I moved to RI). The staff always seemed pretty helpful to me. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding.

This has got to be the worst case of gouging ever by D&L!!!! 6 months ago i ordered a stag 2TL and finally recieved it last week. I was told when i ordered it that it would be $1250.00 which i new was $100 over MSRP but i figured what the heck Al was the only one on Stag's web site that was wiling to place the order so it was worth it. So i placed a $200 deposit on the order. I was very excited as this is my first AR purchase.

I get a call from Al that that it was about to ship from the distributor to D&L and i needed to go back in to re do the state paper work because it had been so long. so i did. on the 7th day i called to see if the paper work was back and if the rifle had arrived as expected, between the three people there no one could answer me. I thought it was weird so i went down there. The rifle arrived so all i had to do is sign the state paper work 2 other forms from D&L and pay the SURPRISE BALANCE OF $1400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!($1600 total)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My initial reaction was that there must be some mistake because of the following:

3. how could you just spring that on someone after six months with no explaination

THe only thing the guy who was helping me said was "i dont know what to tell you, thats Al's handwriting on the slip"(this was the same guy who didnt bother offering me any instruction on any of the safety features on the rifle)
Minitial reaction faded away real quick after that and it turned into anger. i kept my cool and asked the gentleman, i think his name was Al too but not the owner, to have Al (owner) call me. Well it never happened. i was going to just ask him for an explaination, i am a realist and i know sometime shit happens. Worst case i was going to ask him to meet me half way on the increase or at least throw some ammo my way or something. I RECIEVED NO CALL!!!!! its not even about the money , i will always make more. it is about the piss poor customer service and the outright lie i was fed about the price. I ended up taking the rifle and left that store with the worst taste in my mouth. All i can hope for now is that someone learns from my mistake and shop elsewhere. yeah sure they have a nice store and good selection but it can all be found elsewhere. Honestly i would have walked out of there with $400 worth of accessories and ammo. instead i left pissed off!!! since then i have convinced at least 5 people not to buy there .and i will not stop till i stop shooting or die.

I don't understand, if you gave him a deposit of $200 and he told you it would be $1250 didn't you get a receipt for the deposit and the price and the final amount due of $1050 not counting tax.If it's on paper he has no recource.

I don't understand, if you gave him a deposit of $200 and he told you it would be $1250 didn't you get a receipt for the deposit and the price and the final amount due of $1050 not counting tax.If it's on paper he has no recource.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

D&L has probably the best selection in the state, but I'm not a huge fan of some of their practices. Like how every gun that leaves the store needs to be in a locked case, and they always seem to forget mentioning it to new customers. Of course they have a great selection of lockable cases for sale. [rolleyes] They're also one of the only shops I know of that charge higher than MSRP on some guns. I'm not saying they shouldn't, if they can get it great, but it's not going to make me rush there. Overall, I'll swing by if I'm in the area and they're open, but I don't generally go out of my way to shop there.

They refused to return a deposit I made on a gun. They said they would only give me store credit. I made the deposit a week before.

OK... just to clear up a few things. I am new to this site and figured I would join because I have a lot to learn in the gun business, especially since mine is family owned at D&L. We try to be as fair and friendly as possible and knowing that my brother and my education for college cost a combined total of around $400K, its a little understandable why prices may be high to some costumers though we always try to keep them very competitive and have always been known to work with people on multiple purchases or if they saw a price cheaper elsewhere. Now I am not familiar with what ever happened with this Stag purchase, but let me tell you this: Obama is probably to blame. Guns MSRP completely changed when Obama stepped into office and yes, many times they were higher than the manufacturers website because believe it or not, our distributors prices went through the roof because of the demand or AR style guns during that particular period. We now currently had Stags for sale $799 and the tactical for $1029 as part of our Christmas sale. I'm personally sorry for your bad experience and hope that when and if you do reconsider using us, you are met with the truly friendly and honest staff that D&L houses.

D&L has probably the best selection in the state, but I'm not a huge fan of some of their practices. Like how every gun that leaves the store needs to be in a locked case, and they always seem to forget mentioning it to new customers. Of course they have a great selection of lockable cases for sale. [rolleyes] They're also one of the only shops I know of that charge higher than MSRP on some guns. I'm not saying they shouldn't, if they can get it great, but it's not going to make me rush there. Overall, I'll swing by if I'm in the area and they're open, but I don't generally go out of my way to shop there.

If you looked at your receipt, it ALWAYS is stamped guns need to be locked in a secure container due to FEDERAL LAW> this is because we are in what is considered a "School Zone" and is a mandatory law for us to abide by. We have ATF agents in the store frequently making sure that we are following this so I hope you understand. And again on the MSRP, supply in demand. It never hurts to ask if we can do any better on the price too, after all, it is RI [wink].

OK... just to clear up a few things. I am new to this site and figured I would join because I have a lot to learn in the gun business, especially since mine is family owned at D&L. We try to be as fair and friendly as possible and knowing that my brother and my education for college cost a combined total of around $400K, its a little understandable why prices may be high to some costumers though we always try to keep them very competitive and have always been known to work with people on multiple purchases or if they saw a price cheaper elsewhere. Now I am not familiar with what ever happened with this Stag purchase, but let me tell you this: Obama is probably to blame. Guns MSRP completely changed when Obama stepped into office and yes, many times they were higher than the manufacturers website because believe it or not, our distributors prices went through the roof because of the demand or AR style guns during that particular period. We now currently had Stags for sale $799 and the tactical for $1029 as part of our Christmas sale. I'm personally sorry for your bad experience and hope that when and if you do reconsider using us, you are met with the truly friendly and honest staff that D&L houses. If you looked at your receipt, it ALWAYS is stamped guns need to be locked in a secure container due to FEDERAL LAW> this is because we are in what is considered a "School Zone" and is a mandatory law for us to abide by. We have ATF agents in the store frequently making sure that we are following this so I hope you understand. And again on the MSRP, supply in demand. It never hurts to ask if we can do any better on the price too, after all, it is RI [wink].
Hey Gunpowder, Since you are representing D&L here maybe instead of blaming Obama for the price increase between order time and delivery time you could take the time to find out just what happened to this customer's Stag sale and try to set things right with the customer? Admit there was a screw up, take the blame and rectify the problem with the customer. That's the proper way to run a business. Sure it's been 4 months but I'm sure that either going through your receipts or emailing him here you can contact the buyer and maybe make amends. If that doesn't make sense then I guess the college education wasn't in business management. Just my 2 cents worth

Last edited:
Hey Gunpowder, Since you are representing D&L here maybe instead of blaming Obama for the price increase between order time and delivery time you could take the time to find out just what happened to this customer's Stag sale and try to set things right with the customer? Admit there was a screw up, take the blame and rectify the problem with the customer. That's the proper way to run a business. Sure it's been 4 months but I'm sure that either going through your receipts or emailing him here you can contact the buyer and maybe make amends. If that doesn't make sense then I guess the college education wasn't in business management. Just my 2 cents worth

No, you are right my college education was for Biology and English... but if you would really like to know, when he ordered his Stag, there was never any price quoted on his receipt because we were unsure of how long it was going to take and if there was going to be any mark up. We did however, tell him what the current price was IF we were to have one in stock. His came six months later (I think thats what it was) and their had been price increases. Look, I did not join this forum and other forums to create arguments, I just wanted to become more involved with the gun world. And yes, I do know about customer satisfaction, you don't need a college degree in that.

Last edited:
OK... just to clear up a few things. I am new to this site and figured I would join because I have a lot to learn in the gun business, especially since mine is family owned at D&L. We try to be as fair and friendly as possible and knowing that my brother and my education for college cost a combined total of around $400K, its a little understandable why prices may be high to some costumers though we always try to keep them very competitive and have always been known to work with people on multiple purchases or if they saw a price cheaper elsewhere. Now I am not familiar with what ever happened with this Stag purchase, but let me tell you this: Obama is probably to blame. Guns MSRP completely changed when Obama stepped into office and yes, many times they were higher than the manufacturers website because believe it or not, our distributors prices went through the roof because of the demand or AR style guns during that particular period. We now currently had Stags for sale $799 and the tactical for $1029 as part of our Christmas sale. I'm personally sorry for your bad experience and hope that when and if you do reconsider using us, you are met with the truly friendly and honest staff that D&L houses.

I have no intention of beating a dead horse here [horse] but just 1 last question. Did the MSRP go down in the last 4 months since you claim to have been selling Stags at Christmas for $1029 ?
Inquiring minds would like to know.[pot]

Just found this on CRALRI. Interesting thread on D&L and their policies.

http://forum.cralri.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4062&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Also Heritage Gun and Coin seems to be the place to go for your best deal in RI on guns and ammo

proofmark wrote:You will not have to wait too long and that desire is going to be put to the test shortly. CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAYS are coming to Heritage Firearms. Our customers will be treated to the firearm of their choice AT COST (new guns only) for delivery by April 15th. This program will celebrate our first year in business and is our way to thank you for your patronage.

Not a customer yet? Well, we will allow you to become one by letting you purchase any firearm at 8% over cost if done BEFORE March 15th. Then you can get the gun of your choice at our absolute cost. Restrictions? You bet. Sales for the firearms must be made with cash as credit card companies charge us for the use of the cards. Delivery must be taken within 30 days of purchase. BCI's must be processed starting April 1st.

All ammo will be priced at 10% over cost but is limited to inventory at hand. Deliveries are still restricted. Trades are always accepted and we do buy gun collections. Always free transfers.

Frank, Dave and Dave.

Customer appreciation days starts NOW...ALL guns will be priced at at FLAT 8% over cost and starting April 1st thru the 15th will be at COST. Plan ahead to figure out how to maximize the savings. Even the 8% is a deal....

D&L Hunting & Outdoors Warwick, RI

It's a large shop with a very big selection of new and used guns, lots of military types. They had quite a few MA compliant guns also. The Ammo selection was good with some harder to find types such as non steel 7.62 X 54R. They had a good selection of hunting supplies and the people working there were friendly.

Last edited:
Great shop, great service and I have sent several of my friends to them and all have left happy. The important thing is their great selection and inventory, including used guns. I have purchased a few used guns from them, both were fired maybe once or twice, and got a great deal both times. There are tons of "used" never fired guns from the run on the gun shops when Obama came to office. I almost prefer buying a good/semi new used firearm because you can return it and swap it if you don't like it, have any problems, etc. If you try to do the same with a new gun, you are out of luck, and will have to sell it back as a used gun. So their huge selection of used/almost new weapons is a big plus, and you will probably find what you are looking for and for less than you intended. Their customer service has been friendly, super helpful (I always deal with George), and they treat everyone equally whether a noob or a seasoned shooter. This is the main reason I patronize their establishment, when someone is new to the sport they need to feel welcomed, and often are confused and uneducated about firearms, or have misconceptions. They know exactly how to work with you to find what you are looking for, and will patiently show you half the weapons in there if you want.

I dont know why but it seems there is always a condescending guy at the counter of most specialty shops, whether it is router bits or power tools, bicycle parts, snowboard/ski gear, etc. There is always some "know it all" who goes out of his way to demonstrate his superior knowledge to you, even when you don't ask for it. Either that or you have a salesman trying to sell you something you don't want, or steer you in a different direction, again even though you didn't ask him to. I have never experienced this at D&L, and this is the big reason I keep going back. I don't buy all of my firearm supplies there though and I agree that some of their prices are a bit high (especially ammo), and their transfer policy is laughable (10% of the total purchase). Be sure to ask for George if you go there, he's a good friendly guy, and he'll take care of ya.

Great shop, great service and I have sent several of my friends to them and all have left happy. The important thing is their great selection and inventory, including used guns. I have purchased a few used guns from them, both were fired maybe once or twice, and got a great deal both times. There are tons of "used" never fired guns from the run on the gun shops when Obama came to office. I almost prefer buying a good/semi new used firearm because you can return it and swap it if you don't like it, have any problems, etc. If you try to do the same with a new gun, you are out of luck, and will have to sell it back as a used gun. So their huge selection of used/almost new weapons is a big plus, and you will probably find what you are looking for and for less than you intended. Their customer service has been friendly, super helpful (I always deal with George), and they treat everyone equally whether a noob or a seasoned shooter. This is the main reason I patronize their establishment, when someone is new to the sport they need to feel welcomed, and often are confused and uneducated about firearms, or have misconceptions. They know exactly how to work with you to find what you are looking for, and will patiently show you half the weapons in there if you want.

I dont know why but it seems there is always a condescending guy at the counter of most specialty shops, whether it is router bits or power tools, bicycle parts, snowboard/ski gear, etc. There is always some "know it all" who goes out of his way to demonstrate his superior knowledge to you, even when you don't ask for it. Either that or you have a salesman trying to sell you something you don't want, or steer you in a different direction, again even though you didn't ask him to. I have never experienced this at D&L, and this is the big reason I keep going back. I don't buy all of my firearm supplies there though and I agree that some of their prices are a bit high (especially ammo), and their transfer policy is laughable (10% of the total purchase). Be sure to ask for George if you go there, he's a good friendly guy, and he'll take care of ya.
EDIT: Same info, wrong thread. See here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...t-Warwick-RI?p=1939132&viewfull=1#post1939132

D&L has a relationship with Swarovski (and Kahles, as Kahles owns Swarovski) where if a customer wants to see and potentially buy an optic from Swaro or Kahles, Swaro's Cranston HQ will send the optic to D&L for the customer to check out.

Best way to go about this is contacting Swaro or Kahles and explaining the situation. Should be of interest to other New Englanders as there aren't many Swaro/Kahles dealers in the area besides KTP, Bass Pro, and Cabela's.

Back
Top Bottom