Dad's LTC application process

Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback on this whole process so far. Here're the updates.
Dad called this morning to make his appointment for his class A.

"Hi, I'm calling to make an appiontment for my pistol permit."
"That's me. What can I help you with?"
"Uh, I need to make an appointment to apply for my pistol permit."
LEO asked if dad has his reference letters (town requires three), and his safety course certificate. Yes to both.

He asked if my dad had a license before, dad said yes. LEO said that should make it easier, since he's already in the state police computer. Did a search - didn't find him. Did another search by his social, couldn't find him. So it seems like the LEO took most of my dads info over the phone, saying it'd make the appointment even shorter tomorrow morning (I'm guessing just the fingerprints and picture tomorrow).

The guy told my dad he could come in today, but "the chief is in a bad mood and I don't want to be here when he comes in, so I'm heading out now."

So, dad goes in at 9:30 tomorrow morning with his money order (no cash or personal checks), letters and certificate from the safety class, and he should be all set.

As a reminder, here's how the process went for me.

ok under "reason for applying" put-- I have a constitutional right to own and bear arms and I wish to exercise that rite.

when asked if any lic other than the one you want is acceptable say NO!!

they are required to submit the app u give them, so make him submit it for all lawful purposes. even if they say "we dont issue.. blah blah" its the STATE laws that govern the issuance not the city's opinion or beliefs.

if they deny you GREAT!!! If denied you are entitled to a district court hearing within 90 days of denial.. at that point the PD is required to provide substantive reasons why you are disquallified and the only acceptable reasons are clearly listed in MGL 140-ss 131 and "we don't feel like it" is not one of the reasons.

you have run into yet another tactic used by this f***ing shitty state to take your rights. they count on the fact that most people feel powerless in front of poilce and dont know about their right to a hearing...

the PD almost never shows up to the hearing as they have no "legal" ground to deny the license you requested, at which point the court is forced to order the issuance of the lic.

oh and dont let them dick arround making you wait months to findout if u have been approved... the licensing authority has EXACTLY 40 days from the day u submit the application to approve and issue, or deny and notify in writing of why... if u dont have a license or letter of denial by day 41 u can go straight to the district court hearing and get your lic.. oh and you hav 90 days to demand the hearing and the 90days starts as of day 41 since you applied...

this info prob wont do u any good but it may help your dad..

of course you could just move to a city like Fall River where they ONLY issue unrestricted LTC A in order to avoid the brandishing problems created when a person w/ an open carry lic. walks in to the mall, movie theatre etc... they were having alot of problems w/ people being charges w/ brandishing while they were carrying within the restrictions of their lic. so to avoid this FR only issues Unrestricted LTC A...

good luck

of course you could just move to a city like Fall River where they ONLY issue unrestricted LTC A in order to avoid the brandishing problems created when a person w/ an open carry lic. walks in to the mall, movie theatre etc... they were having alot of problems w/ people being charges w/ brandishing while they were carrying within the restrictions of their lic. so to avoid this FR only issues Unrestricted LTC A...

This is either a joke or an obvious trolling attempt, I'm not sure which. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt- it sounds like it came from a discussion in
a gun store. [laugh]

Anyone I know that's gotten a license in FR has had to jump through flaming hoops to get one, FR is red/bad by default, always has been.

-Mike

This is either a joke or an obvious trolling attempt, I'm not sure which. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt- it sounds like it came from a discussion in
a gun store. [laugh]

Anyone I know that's gotten a license in FR has had to jump through flaming hoops to get one, FR is red/bad by default, always has been.

-Mike

If they had to jump through hoops is because Bouchard (lic officer) can be a pain in the ass if hes in a bad mood. Or your friends pissed him off.

First, I never said it was any easier to get a license in general just that FR only issues unrestricted licenses.

Second, "Anyone I know that's gotten a license in FR has had to jump through flaming hoops to get one,..." second hand knowledge = nothing in the face of first hand knowledge...

Oh and as for "... discussion in a gun store" the info came from my father (fall river police lieutenant) , my grandfather (retired fall river police chief) and fall river's licensing officer

If they had to jump through hoops is because Bouchard (lic officer) can be a pain in the ass if hes in a bad mood.

So whether or not someone should be able to obtain the permit they
need is contingent upon the LO "being in a good mood?" [thinking] Gee, no
wonder people have problems getting licensed in FR.

Or your friends pissed him off.

Possible, but doubtful. Most people just want to submit their paperwork
and be treated fairly, not to fight with the IA or get pissed on.

First, I never said it was any easier to get a license in general just that FR only issues unrestricted licenses.

So, you're saying that FR is no issue by default? EG, they B-ram, or
don't issue LTCs at all unless someone meets the magic criteria?

second hand knowledge = nothing in the face of first hand knowledge...

It's not second hand knowledge when at least several people have posted
their experiences on here. I recall at least one account awhile back
when someone said they had to work the "business" angle with FR in
order to get an unrestricted A.

Oh and as for "... discussion in a gun store" the info came from my father (fall river police lieutenant) , my grandfather (retired fall river police chief) and fall river's licensing officer

Dunno, just all of it sounds funny to me. There's nothing present in MGL where it says that OC somehow circumvents licensing restrictions imposed by an issuing authority. That whole business about brandishing just sounds fishy to me. Then again, a restriction of "no concealed carry" from FR sounds like it might have been par for the course for awhile, which would go in line with what you are saying. So if that's the case, perhaps
I owe you an apology.

-Mike

Dunno, just all of it sounds funny to me. There's nothing present in MGL where it says that OC somehow circumvents licensing restrictions imposed by an issuing authority. That whole business about brandishing just sounds fishy to me. Then again, a restriction of "no concealed carry" from FR sounds like it might have been par for the course for awhile, which would go in line with what you are saying. So if that's the case, perhaps
I owe you an apology.

-Mike

The problem started when they first changer to the class a, b etc... from the old licenses back in 93, 94 not sure which, I have had a concealed carry lic since before the change. when they first switched there was alot of confusion as to how someone had to carry depending on what lic they had. due in no small part to the local PDs failing to properly inform their officers of the changes BEFORE they were enacted. there were several cases of people being arrested for brandishing in locations like the park or mall while they were carrying w/ a class B lic. I dont know if anyone was ever "charged" with anything once they were taken in to custody, i would have to imagine that once they got to the station they would be able to clear things up but, there were talks of suing the PD etc... at that point FR started issuing unrestricted lic only in order to avoid more problems,

now by stopping to issue the "lower" licenses it does make the requirments to get a lic slightly higher but, but i would be willing to bet that the problems people may have in FR stem from the law stating that... being charged with any crime punishable by 2 or more years in prison/jail will disqualify you for a LTC...

thats not an exact quote obviously but it is the gist of it and the important word there is CHARGED not convicted just charged... many many many "stupid little" crimes fit in to that category any number of dumb things one may have done as a kid like shoplift or graffiti, getting caught drinking underage at a party or other things that aren't violent or drug related and in most cases prob not a good reason to deny the lic. however it is one of the many shitty laws mass has and im sure some cities take it more seriously than others...

the average person who posts their woes here isnt go just say "they denied me and all i did was get caught trespassing on in the state forest at a keg party when i was 18.." or something to the like...

now don't get me wrong fall river is an absolute shit hole that should be nuked off the face of the planet, but if all u have on your record is little things like speeding tickets or driving w/ a suspended lic or whatever, they will issue and at least here u know what lic you are going to get

I assume Dad is going to get the Waltham neutered license too?

There is no reason a U.S. Veteran should be issued anything but an unrestricted LTC A and it should be free of effn charge too

I assume Dad is going to get the Waltham neutered license too?

There is no reason a U.S. Veteran should be issued anything but an unrestricted LTC A and it should be free of effn charge too

Yep, the licensing officer told him they don't give unrestricted license sto first timers. Though technically it's not his first time. Argh. [angry]

Back
Top Bottom