• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dallas PO enters wrong apartment, kills occupant

Of course most find their way to their own place 99.9% of the time, house or apt. All Im saying is most apt buildings have the same features, color scheme, and layout regardless of the floor or sometimes even between one building and the next. I dont think its reasonable to suggest that its impossible for someone to go to the wrong apt, Ive done it myself. Once youre inside, not even inside necessarily, even just with the door open, thats where this story starts to go off the rails for me.

I still dont see how she got in. Most likely she went to the wrong door, couldnt get in and either knocked or the noise brought this guy to the door. She panicked at seeing a stranger in an apt she thought was hers and shot him. Either that or there is more to this that theyre not disclosing like they had some sort of relationship that went south very quickly.

If she disappeared and they have to track her down, then Im guessing shes going to off herself and we may never know what happened. Due to the racial angle, theyre going to railroad her into prison just to keep the peace regardless of what the facts are.

yes, except it seems the facts are that she went to the wrong apartment and shot and killed a guy in his own home. Failing to see where the railroading comes from...

This is causing a shitstorm down here. The family petitioned the Rangers to get involved and they’ve taken over the investigation. There is a warrant out on the cop but she hasn’t turned herself in nor has she Been picked up. It’s a nice apartment building and the guy who was killed was apparently a stand up dude. Deacon in his local church. This is not gonna end well for the cop.
It should not end well with her.

yes, except it seems the facts are that she went to the wrong apartment and shot and killed a guy in his own home. Failing to see where the railroading comes from...

Yeah, I guess railroading tends to mean sending an innocent person to jail. Maybe I should have worded it differently. What I meant was due to the racial politics at play across the country, especially when it comes to a black person being shot by a white cop, she was going to jail regardless of what the facts end up being. As it is now, it looks like she f***ed up pretty good and shes not innocent and will probably go to jail (and rightly so).

Remains to be seen if the usual hustlers bully the DA for a murder charge rather than manslaughter. Looks like theyd have a hard time proving premeditation as the facts stand today. (ianal) Jury finds her not guilty of murder and we're off to the races. (no pun intended). Then again Hillary skated away because she didnt intend to break the law, so why should this cop, or anyone else for that matter have to pay the piper?

Thing is, this WASN'T a "Police shooting" by any stretch. She may be (for now) a cop, she was in uniform, but she was OFF DUTY and therefore NOT performing her job duties. She is, and should be, entitled to no more or less grace than anybody on this forum. She should have been arrested, had her rights read, and been processed just like anybody else. The only, ONLY time her job should even be considered to be relevant is at trial when the questions about "Situational Awareness", training, etc come up. And for those, the standard should be HIGHER than for you and I. Until then, the fact that she wears a badge sometimes is as relevant as my shoe size is.

Shoe size can be relevant.

Yeah, I guess railroading tends to mean sending an innocent person to jail. Maybe I should have worded it differently. What I meant was due to the racial politics at play across the country, especially when it comes to a black person being shot by a white cop, she was going to jail regardless of what the facts end up being. As it is now, it looks like she f***ed up pretty good and shes not innocent and will probably go to jail (and rightly so).

Agreed. But even if it was white on white and depending on all the circumstances I think it would be impossible for her to not see jail time. If what happened is even close to what has been written I think she's screwed.

Agreed. But even if it was white on white and depending on all the circumstances I think it would be impossible for her to not see jail time. If what happened is even close to what has been written I think she's screwed.
Possibly, but as it stands, no way she has even a chance of not being charged and locked up for as long a sentence as satiates the hustlers.

I know what youre saying, but lets be honest, white on white, no one outside of the Dallas area would of even heard of this. She squirts a few tears on the stand, the victims family feels some sympathy and she at least would have a chance of a light sentence or no jail time. As it is now, nfw. Theyll sacrifice her no matter what to fend off more riots.

As the facts stand now, she looks to be guilty of manslaughter and if it were me or you we'd be looking at a good amount of time in jail. Im just saying theres more at play aside from the facts and shes guaranteed to be put away unless they do something dumb and charge her with murder and she walks because the pre-med wasnt there.

Possibly, but as it stands, no way she has even a chance of not being charged and locked up for as long a sentence as satiates the hustlers.

I know what youre saying, but lets be honest, white on white, no one outside of the Dallas area would of even heard of this. She squirts a few tears on the stand, the victims family feels some sympathy and she at least would have a chance of a light sentence or no jail time. As it is now, nfw. Theyll sacrifice her no matter what to fend off more riots.

As the facts stand now, she looks to be guilty of manslaughter and if it were me or you we'd be looking at a good amount of time in jail. Im just saying theres more at play aside from the facts and shes guaranteed to be put away unless they do something dumb and charge her with murder and she walks because the pre-med wasnt there.

You think that charging decision would be an "accident"? Remember, she's one of the special class.

yup....I can see this as how it turns out.

You think that charging decision would be an "accident"? Remember, she's one of the special class.
Tbh, I didnt think of it that way. Certainly possible. Typically theyre pressured into going for the murder charge I assumed.

They should really find a way to take a second look at the whole "we're all the same, woman can do the job just as well as men", bs. Sorry, but the average woman isnt able to hold her own physically vs the average man. Fist fight, wrestling match theyre losing 95% of the time and the fact that theyre armed is almost guaranteeing that theyre forced to use deadly force to protect themselves. Not saying thats exactly what happened here, but I would guess thats in the back of most police womans minds. Maybe Im wrong, as I cant say Ive seen any stats regarding female use of force. Just have come to the conclusion over time that there are a lot of people who are cops that dont really have the proper mindset going into the career and probably should of done something else. Male cops as well, fwiw.

They should really find a way to take a second look at the whole "we're all the same, woman can do the job just as well as men", bs. Sorry, but the average woman isnt able to hold her own physically vs the average man. Fist fight, wrestling match theyre losing 95% of the time and the fact that theyre armed is almost guaranteeing that theyre forced to use deadly force to protect themselves. Not saying thats exactly what happened here, but I would guess thats in the back of most police womans minds. Maybe Im wrong, as I cant say Ive seen any stats regarding female use of force. Just have come to the conclusion over time that there are a lot of people who are cops that dont really have the proper mindset going into the career and probably should of done something else. Male cops as well, fwiw.

This had little if anything to do with her being a female. I bet it had a lot to do with the mindset of cops as a whole, which is really a systemic problem. Police seemed to be trained to believe everybody is always trying to kill them, so when somebody does something they don't expect, for any reason, even if what they are doing is perfectly normal, or even exactly what the cop told them to do, they perceive it as that person is trying to kill them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFYTtgZAlE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teqn_8tu5D4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCAkgGP9Fbo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6wX2xpdcrI

The statistics dont even remotely support that bullshit. Female officers are half as likely to use deadly force than their counter parts.

Anyone else would have been in jail while they investigated.

She was arrested, booked, and she posted bail. Just like anyone else in the same situation. She's not a gangbanger who's likely to flee with the connections to do so. Somewhere I read it was $300k, can maybe complain about low bail, but it's not like they just let her walk.

She seems a bit young to come up with $300k I wonder if she paid a bondsman; had her parents post; or got it form a police union/assn.

Good to see you back on the board.....hope all went well Rob.

I'm thinking she'll do 5 years for this, plus be bankrupted by a civil suit.

Another reason to keep your doors locked, even when home. I do and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Article says a blood sample was taken to eval her for intoxication.

What a shame. Young man immigrated from the Caribbean, graduated college, and was working at PriceWaterhouseCoopers. Two careers and one life ended, all of it preventable.

Yeah, this whole thing sounds to me like an intoxication issue. So many stories of drunks committing B&E thinking they were entering their own home.

Another reason to keep your doors locked, even when home. I do and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, this whole thing sounds to me like an intoxication issue. So many stories of drunks committing B&E thinking they were entering their own home.

Absolutely. Similar story in reverse, a woman I know was asleep when her husband, a cop, got a call to go to the station in the middle of the night. He left the garage door open. A bit later she heard noises in the house and found a drunk and naked stranger asleep on her couch. Guy had meant to stumble into his grandparents' house somewhere on the same street. Too intoxicated to realize he came in the wrong open garage, stripped naked in the wrong den, and crashed on the wrong couch. Now just imagine if he had been armed.

We don't play those games. Doors are always locked, proximity alarms aimed on the steps leading to them with receiver by the bed, and motion-activated lights.

"
Citing an unidentified law enforcement official with direct knowledge of the case, The Dallas Morning News reported that Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex where both she and Jean lived. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.

When she put her key in the unlocked apartment door, it opened. Inside, the lights were off. Then she saw a figure in the darkness, according to the official, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The officer concluded that her apartment was being burglarized, drew her weapon and fired twice. When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong unit, the newspaper reported.

A spokeswoman for the Texas Rangers did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking to confirm the details of newspaper report.

Mayor Mike Rawlings also said Monday that Guyger had parked on the wrong floor.

The Dallas County medical examiner's office said Jean died of a gunshot wound to the chest. His death was ruled a homicide."
Case against officer who killed neighbor to go to grand jury

... Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex where both she and Jean lived. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.

Confused or disoriented from fatigue?
Regulate hours of service.

Do people who live in big cities really leave their doors unlocked like that?

Dont see any way for her to beat this if it happened the way they say. Poor bastards dead because someone opened the wrong door.

This had little if anything to do with her being a female. I bet it had a lot to do with the mindset of cops as a whole, which is really a systemic problem. Police seemed to be trained to believe everybody is always trying to kill them, so when somebody does something they don't expect, for any reason, even if what they are doing is perfectly normal, or even exactly what the cop told them to do, they perceive it as that person is trying to kill them.

No way to know for sure if her being female had any influence on how she acted. I partially agree as far as some cops mindset. Some are way too jumpy and just dont have the life experience prior to becoming a cop to handle stressful situations. Male or female. Actually the first vid you posted was one instance that I tend to bring up to people when Im telling them this.

Tbh, I think cops that grew up in shitty neighborhoods and/or were around violence when they were growing up are probably better suited to handle a threatening situation and probably do a much better job of accurately assessing exactly how much of a threat someone poses or if they even pose a threat at all.

As for this situation, she was wrong, but in her mind at the time, some dude was in her house. She acted in the same way a ton of people here claim they would act. ("Some guys in my house when I get home, thats a threat and Im defending myself until he's no longer a threat.") Turned the lights on and must of did a hell of a double-take at her surroundings. So up to that point, I have a bit of sympathy for her, but she f*cked up in the worst way and has to pay the piper. His life is over, hers is f***ed, both their families are hurting. Shitty situation all around.

When she put her key in the unlocked apartment door, it opened. Inside, the lights were off. Then she saw a figure in the darkness, according to the official, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

The officer concluded that her apartment was being burglarized, drew her weapon and fired twice. When she turned on the lights, she realized she was in the wrong unit, the newspaper reported.

So she went in, saw "a figure", fired, turned on the lights. Nothing mentioned about shouting out, whether or not the "felon" was facing her or facing away, whether or not he was moving, hand position, nada. She's done, deservedly so.

She was arrested, booked, and she posted bail. Just like anyone else in the same situation. She's not a gangbanger who's likely to flee with the connections to do so. Somewhere I read it was $300k, can maybe complain about low bail, but it's not like they just let her walk.
The big difference was "arrest after we figure out she likely committed a crime" instead "on the spot arrest" that a normal person would probably receive.

So she went in, saw "a figure", fired, turned on the lights. Nothing mentioned about shouting out, whether or not the "felon" was facing her or facing away, whether or not he was moving, hand position, nada. She's done, deservedly so.
Whats the law in TX? Doesnt someone being in your home make using deadly force lawful? I know he wasnt in her home, he was in his home. Just saying that even if he was in her place, there wouldnt be any need legally to bring up him moving, hand position, etc. If theres an intruder in your home youre gtg in TX afaik.

Back
Top Bottom