• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dang - Antennacraft ST2 down - New antenna recs?

Happened to look up at the pole my receiving antennas are on and the ST2 has folded in half. Will get pictures when daylight resumes.

What is the recommended receive-only antenna these days?

Can't bend it back?

No personal experience, but discones are popular.

Doesn't look bent. Seems a piece actually snapped and the top half is flapping in the wind. Up on the roof three stories up so I haven't got a good look at it yet.

I'm hoping to be able to repair it as they don't make this one anymore, I run several broadcastify feeds off of it.

Haven't been up on the roof yet but here's what I'm looking at.

Completely missing one of the radials and the whole top section split off at the plastic connector. I wonder if I could use a fiberglass 'marker' to get the top section reconnected? Will know better when I get it down.

Attachments

• 2N2A8787.jpg
    2N2A8787.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 17
No gluing this one back together. I added a bamboo stake as a temporary workaround till I can replace it.

My concern is with the bamboo providing an electrical connection when it gets wet. We'll find out tomorrow night, I suppose.

Attachments

• 20230206_162552.jpg
    20230206_162552.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230206_163101.jpg
    20230206_163101.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 19
No gluing this one back together. I added a bamboo stake as a temporary workaround till I can replace it.

My concern is with the bamboo providing an electrical connection when it gets wet. We'll find out tomorrow night, I suppose.
Bamboo plus zip ties. You've done all you can do for it. It's in God's hands now.

Is it receiving?

I provide several. This is Sturbridge, pretty quiet tonight. Sturbridge Police Dispatch Live Audio Feed

Any feeds that I provide I also have a scanner running on a separate antenna that I use for confirmation. I don't tend to listen to the feeds unless there is a problem report or I am away from home.

Hmm. Now that I listen to the Sturbridge feed, it seems the SDR may have drifted a bit with the swinging temperature fluctuations. I do Charlton as well. No issues on that one right now. Both fed off the same SDR and antenna.

Not so sure it's the SDR dongle at this point. That antenna may have been a bit more damaged than initially thought.

Just not seeing the same performance that I was prior to the snap, monitored all day today in the background.

A discone is within my budget but that 'nominal' 2dBi gain is going to kill me. I'm pretty much right in the center of the towers I monitor and need a bit of gain. Probably going to grab another OmniX and use that for Broadcastify streams. Either that or pick up a multicoupler and move the stream Pis back downstairs as none of my scanners are seeing the same issue.

Hell, may just find someone closer to the towers I monitor and see if they'll host the pi for me as I've got a couple older pi units that can handle a single stream.

*sigh*

I've run a DPD Omni X for 15 years now. It replaced my ST2.

-JR

I've run a DPD Omni X for 15 years now. It replaced my ST2.

-JR

Just double checked. I ordered my current OmniX in 2017. Not quite as long as you, but long enough to know it does exactly what I need it to do.

Will most likely just grab one and be done with it. I'll probably have to rub the little lady's feet or back or something so I don't get the stink eye when it shows up in the mail... So, win/win on my part.

I already have the mount for a dual-receive setup with transmit as well.

This used to be on the ground in my yard. Flat roof mount with two j-poles (old directv mounts) off to the sides and support for a 10' mast in the center as well. I'll get this up on the roof soon and re-mount everything.

May have to wait till next month for the ST2 replacement. Put a short piece of unistrut across the top to keep everything in line and prevent twisting / shifting.

Looks like this when set up, bunch of cynder blocks sit in the base.

1675981867644.png

Attachments

• 20230209_165123.jpg
    20230209_165123.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Wondering if I've got a couple of counterfeit RTL-SDR sticks. Been running one for a while with rtl_test -p on a spare pi and the numbers are all over the place. Going to let it run another ~15 minutes to see if it settles down. Maybe overnight.

I've got an ADSB specific dongle that should be here Sunday which will free up an older RTL-SDR stick but right now, with the most recent one I received, I'm seeing PPM in the ~50s. Definitely not normal. It seems to bounce way up and way down, won't hold steady.

Still figure I'm going to order a new antenna to replace the ST2.

Shipping is outrageous these days.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 22-11-20 Payment - DPD Productions - Checkout.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 22-11-20 Payment - DPD Productions - Checkout.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 6
Replacement OmniX showed up today. Screw getting up on the roof in this cold / wind.

Probably a good time to check coax and connectors, make sure everything else is OK before I rebuild. Going to grab some conduit with a 45° angle so I don't have to worry about cable jackets getting abused on the edge of the roof.

Is winter over yet?

Back
Top Bottom