Daughter wants a Gun

MaverickNH

NES Member
She’s 27, just finishing an amicable divorce (as amicable as they can be), and is moving from Nashua to Manchester to an apartment that‘s in an OK neighborhood but not immune from violent crime. I asked if she’d like to go to an NRA Refuse to be a Victim class together and she said, how about a gun class instead?

I took her and her younger brother shooting when young, so she’s shot 22 pistols and rifles, and a AR15. My son is just out of the 82nd Airborne as a SAW gunner, so he’s set, and in school down in NC. SIG Academy has excellent courses but is booked solid for months, so I’ll ask a local instructor whom I’ve known for decades for a dad-daughter class at a local commercial range to get started.

She’s pretty slight of stature, but fit and strong, so might manage my SIG P365 or Glock G43. If not, maybe a 380acp - I only have a KelTec P3AT…not a weapon fit for primary use. Her hands would never manage a G19. Are there other good options to consider?

The NRA RTBAV class is still in the plan - there’s so much more to personnel security and self-defense than being able to put holes in a target. She’s been to a Women;s Self-Defense 1-day class with my wife - we’re both martial arts instructors but prefer others teach our kids such skills…who listens to their parents until they turn 40?

Last edited:
365 original size

Or custom build a p80 43 with her to also show her the parts and how it works

Also check out arex deltas if you want something fuller size they are same size as glocks with much thinner grips

365 original size

Or custom build a p80 43 with her to also show her the parts and how it works

Also check out arex deltas if you want something fuller size they are same size as glocks with much thinner grips
Have to disagree on the P80 build.

Building Glocks is fun and not too challenging, but a lot of the parts sold s*ck major a**.

I just had to order some OEM parts for a Glock I build because the striker wasn't resetting. It worked for like 500 rounds, then one day it just stopped, nothing looked broken. It took me a few minutes, and some pics in a private message with other NES members, to figure it out. I said f*ck it and ordered OEM parts.

While it is not a big deal for me, it would be too much for someone that can barely remove the barrel of a gun.

I am also not sure I would want to trust my life to a P80 build.

My recommendations ...

365, I have the X, which if I remember correctly is the compact slide with the XL grips and it is great. That gun should fit most hand sizes comfortably, and SIG flooded the market so there is a ton of support and videos.

She could check out a Kahr as well. Many here dont like the trigger pull, too long for some, but the gun is probably the easiest 9mm to conceal.

Glock 43 is a good choice, up there with SIG 365.

A revolver could be good, but I am not a CCW revolver guy so I can't comment on that.

why don't you let her decide what she can function with? i've always been amazed when men pick the pistol a woman should have. the gun edition of mansplaining.

I second the training recommendation if you can do that. Have her rent a few guns and try them out, then have her pick one. I for one do not think a sub-compact or pocket gun is a good choice for a first pistol, they are harder to shoot and are pretty miserable to shoot for any length of time.

Great advice.

I'm teaching the NRA HFS course at Londonderry F&G on May 28th and seats are still available. My class includes live fire with .22LR, 9mm, AK47 and AR15. More info here:

As for RTBAV, I'm an instructor and know that it is a great course, however damn near nobody teaches it because nobody signs up for it. I tried to run it a number of times, another instructor told me that same and even offered to give me a ton of his student kits, the woman who runs an all woman shooting group in MA also only gets 1-3 people interested in this course and she has a captive audience of 100 women. I tried to run it as a free class with my former MA PD and they wouldn't touch it because it is an NRA course. I'm going to try to do the same thing with my NH PD but haven't had time to discuss that possibility with my (new) police chief yet.

It should fit, both physically and mentally.

My son came into town, and his carry piece was back home. I offered him my PPK - even though he's quite experienced, he said, "I don't want to carry a platform that I'm not comfortable with."

Find something that she likes the feel of, and the "feel" of. She'll be the one using it, after all.

why don't you let her decide what she can function with? i've always been amazed when men pick the pistol a woman should have. the gun edition of mansplaining.
He’s not deciding for her and he is not picking her eventual gun. He is just asking for opinions on options. A father helping out a daughter is not mansplaining. Learn the difference.

When we were shopping for a carry handgun for the wife she kept asking me what she should buy. I commented it's NOT my purchase it's yours. Every gun feels a bit different in the hand, each gun behaves a little differently shooting. She just didn't understand my comments. I took her to Granite State Indoor range and she tried a bunch of 9's and 380's . In the end she loved the Sig P238 . After renting then she began to understand how handguns are such a individualized purchase.

I’ll echo what others have said about renting a few and seeing what fits. I think Manchester Firing Line offers rental?

If it’s not for carry you might be surprised what she likes, my wife (5’ 110lbs) prefers my 9mm 2011 because it’s shoots flat and is super soft because of the weight, she really doesn’t like my 43 because she said it’s snappy, maybe a 42 would be better I’m not sure. She also likes my 30 but it’s a bit fat for her to be comfortable with the grip but with the weight she manages it better then my revolvers and other subcompacts.

I’ll echo what others have said about renting a few and seeing what fits. I think Manchester Firing Line offers rental?

If it’s not for carry you might be surprised what she likes, my wife (5’ 110lbs) prefers my 9mm 2011 because it’s shoots flat and is super soft because of the weight, she really doesn’t like my 43 because she said it’s snappy, maybe a 42 would be better I’m not sure. She also likes my 30 but it’s a bit fat for her to be comfortable with the grip but with the weight she manages it better then my revolvers and other subcompacts.
MFL is just 5mi away and I’m a member 😉

I figured the 1st time shooting in over a decade, an instructor can teach/advise her rather than me. Mom is willing and interested in joining as well. I don’t need to be there but let’s make it a family outing!

Some of MFL’s folks are well-experienced teaching women - I learned a lot from one of their folks myself in the late 90s, when NH-TAG was active there. Then she can try my Glock G19/G43, SIG P365/P238, KelTec PF9/P3AT and see what feels right, how 38acp compares to 9mm depending on weight and ammo, etc. Then rent the other options noted above.

She’ll have an opinion, for sure. If it’s not my P365 or G19, then I’ll gift her one of mine if she prefers. If not, she can buy her own gun.

”Gun Guys” (and Gun Gals) will have many guns but I think she’ll just have one. Mom will just know where the gun she prefers is stored, so she can punch buttons to get it as needed. But she’d rather slice a miscreant in half with a naginata. Either way, the rugs will need shampooing. 😅

MFL is just 5mi away and I’m a member 😉

I figured the 1st time shooting in over a decade, an instructor can teach/advise her rather than me. Mom is willing and interested in joining as well. I don’t need to be there but let’s make it a family outing!

Some of MFL’s folks are well-experienced teaching women - I learned a lot from one of their folks myself in the late 90s, when NH-TAG was active there. Then she can try my Glock G19/G43, SIG P365/P238, KelTec PF9/P3AT and see what feels right, how 38acp compares to 9mm depending on weight and ammo, etc. Then rent the other options noted above.

She’ll have an opinion, for sure. If it’s not my P365 or G19, then I’ll gift her one of mine if she prefers. If not, she can buy her own gun.

”Gun Guys” (and Gun Gals) will have many guns but I think she’ll just have one. Mom will just know where the gun she prefers is stored, so she can punch buttons to get it as needed. But she’d rather slice a miscreant in half with a naginata. Either way, the rugs will need shampooing. 😅

Ahh I see what you’re saying, yea I agree my kids (7&9) listen better to instruction from other adults then myself typically.. not sure if that changes in mid 20’s or not, either way an instructor is probably a better bet anyways since that is what they do.

I'm teaching the NRA HFS course at Londonderry F&G on May 28th and seats are still available. My class includes live fire with .22LR, 9mm, AK47 and AR15. More info here:

As for RTBAV, I'm an instructor and know that it is a great course, however damn near nobody teaches it because nobody signs up for it. I tried to run it a number of times, another instructor told me that same and even offered to give me a ton of his student kits, the woman who runs an all woman shooting group in MA also only gets 1-3 people interested in this course and she has a captive audience of 100 women. I tried to run it as a free class with my former MA PD and they wouldn't touch it because it is an NRA course. I'm going to try to do the same thing with my NH PD but haven't had time to discuss that possibility with my (new) police chief yet.
Same here Len, I’ve been an RTBAV Instructor since ‘16. I’ve kept my credentials up to date, but as the course is NRA it’s
seemingly shunned.

Consider something with a. 22 conversion option available. Will allow for all the practice shooting a finger can handle using the same gun throughout the learning process. It also has the added benefit of learning how to take down the pistol for cleaning etc.

Have to disagree on the P80 build.

Building Glocks is fun and not too challenging, but a lot of the parts sold s*ck major a**.

I just had to order some OEM parts for a Glock I build because the striker wasn't resetting. It worked for like 500 rounds, then one day it just stopped, nothing looked broken. It took me a few minutes, and some pics in a private message with other NES members, to figure it out. I said f*ck it and ordered OEM parts.

While it is not a big deal for me, it would be too much for someone that can barely remove the barrel of a gun.

I am also not sure I would want to trust my life to a P80 build.

My recommendations ...

365, I have the X, which if I remember correctly is the compact slide with the XL grips and it is great. That gun should fit most hand sizes comfortably, and SIG flooded the market so there is a ton of support and videos.

She could check out a Kahr as well. Many here dont like the trigger pull, too long for some, but the gun is probably the easiest 9mm to conceal.

Glock 43 is a good choice, up there with SIG 365.

A revolver could be good, but I am not a CCW revolver guy so I can't comment on that.
I would counter point that to you smell weird...

Kidding if my dad was buying lol which I'm assuming the op is... I'm getting zev everythang, if I'm buying ill probably get cheaper parts

My point being is that the ops daughter will probably feel more comfortable around firearms if she builds one and thus be more inclined to carry it

If you use quality parts a p80 should be fine

But building is the most expensive option

She’s 27, just finishing an amicable divorce (as amicable as they can be), and is moving from Nashua to Manchester to an apartment that‘s in an OK neighborhood but not immune from violent crime. I asked if she’d like to go to an NRA Refuse to be a Victim class together and she said, how about a gun class instead?

I took her and her younger brother shooting when young, so she’s shot 22 pistols and rifles, and a AR15. My son is just out of the 82nd Airborne as a SAW gunner, so he’s set, and in school down in NC. SIG Academy has excellent courses but is booked solid for months, so I’ll ask a local instructor whom I’ve known for decades for a dad-daughter class at a local commercial range to get started.

She’s pretty slight of stature, but fit and strong, so might manage my SIG P365 or Glock G43. If not, maybe a 380acp - I only have a KelTec P3AT…not a weapon fit for primary use. Her hands would never manage a G19. Are there other good options to consider?

The NRA RTBAV class is still in the plan - there’s so much more to personnel security and self-defense than being able to put holes in a target. She’s been to a Women;s Self-Defense 1-day class with my wife - we’re both martial arts instructors but prefer others teach our kids such skills…who listens to their parents until they turn 40?

Plenty of great 380 offerings, I have the M&P 380EZ, love shooting it, so doesn't my wife who's short and has small hands. Never tried the G42 or P365 in 380 but I'd surmise those are great options as well. You can get a dovetail optical mount for the 380EZ/9EZ and I have it on my 9EZ and it's great too.

Best suggestion was already made by someone, rent/borrow a bunch of handguns and have her try them out. She'll be the one to make the best choice for herself.

At her age and condition, she doesn't need to limit herself to 380 or 22.

I'm an old(er) woman now, but when I started shooting, 30 years ago, I weighed 105-110. I was stronger than I looked. My first gun was a S&W .38spl which I could shoot very well. I've owned over 50 guns over the years (most have been sold) but my goto carry gun is still a snubby (638 shrouded hammer). I owned and shot well a sig 226 and a stainless Sig 220. I'd say at your daughter's age, anything from a .45 down she could handle easily. Let her decide. I also vote for some time at the Manchester Firing Range trying a lot of guns. And I'd also suggest she carry since she'll be living in Manchester.

My wife likes her s&w shield ez performance center 9mm. The ez makes it easier for her to rack and manipulate.
My wife can barely rack anything I own (arthritis) but she can rack and load a S&W EZ PC .380 and then put shots downrange on target, keeping up with me and a friend. I know maybe it's not a "manly" gun but it's one of the few pistols where I can put shots on target pulling the trigger as fast as I can.

Back
Top Bottom