Daunte Wright Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Edit: Shot by cop who thought she was using a TASER

this trial is a farce in similar ways as the rittenhouse one was. Like the chauvin trial, the racist Louis Farrakhan devotee AG Keith Ellison I took over the case and poured money into the prosecution. If wright were white rather than 1/2 black, 1/2 white Ellison would have never been involved and it’s doubtful charges would have been pressed at all. This is a political trial, nothing more.

Wright was a 20 year old, high school dropout, had open cases for gun possession, aggravated armed robbery, fleeing police previously, etc and at the time was fleeing police again, assaulted police and had a warrant for failure to appear in court. She definitely meant to take hime but legally she was justified in shooting him too to prevent him from fleeing.

Regardless of the legal issues, Wright was a dirtbag and society is better without him in it. It’s unfortunate he procreated 3years prior to his death.

I listened to jury selection yesterday on Rekieta law. The judge is BORING. When I say she’s boring, I can’t emphasize how monotone and bland she is. She’s brutal. Hopefully she shuts up during the trial and that’s more interesting. Porter has one of the top defense lawyers in MN as her counsel. A few of the jurors selected thus far seem like they’d be good for the defense. I believe they’ve selected 5 so far, they want 14 total (12 will be the jury, 2 alternates.

Why can’t people just stay with their own kind? This mixing of races is proven to be problematic.

So I have been sort of following this trial along with getting all the details on the Maxwell trial. If I'm wrong please someone correct me, but here is my understanding of some of the key facts and I will admit I'm not exactly a cop lover but in this case this officer is definitely not guilty.

1). Potter was issued a different stun gun to use as a duty weapon that was different from what other cops in the department carried.
2). Her stun gun is roughly the same size and shape of the Glock pistol she carried. In a pinch it would be difficult to tell them apart, especially in that fraction of a second of a self defense situation.
3). She admitted it was an accident on her part.

Now where I feel the correct response here is should she go to jail potentially for the rest of her life for making a mistake? This was not an act of malice. This was not a case of a blood thirsty cop looking for a black man to kill. Think of all the times when one person helps another on the side of the road changing a flat tire or anything else. If that person died from an accident while trying to help should the good samaritan also go to jail? We don't put people in prison for accidents whether it's cop related, a hunting accident, changing a flat tire, whatever. Where do we go from here, are we going to be putting managers in jail when there are freak workplace accidents that result in a death?

We're already moving our society in this law of the jungle direction and you can see it clear as a bell right here in Massachusetts of how this is going to work out. I've argued with liberals who think that because I carry a gun I have some kind of moral and ethical obligation to save their lives and I said "keep wishing. If you're getting stabbed to death I'm breaking out my smartphone and asking you the obvious question: Any last thoughts before you pass on to the afterlife?". This is where we are. Help someone else, you got jail. Make a mistake and you go to jail. We are becoming immoral people with no sense of ethics.

The left knows that they can't grab for the guns because the constitution stands in the way so instead they are whittling away at self defense and trying to get jurors to stand in that spot and assume they will always make the correct decision in a fraction of a second. I saw in the Rittenhouse trial how the prosecutor "stretched out the video" of the incident by stopping it and adding commentary as if to imply to the jury that Kyle had several minutes to plan a response when in reality it was literally the blink of an eye.

Because she only fired once I can believe she mistakingly pulled out her firearm instead of the taser. If she fired multiple times I would not even consider that she made that mistake.

But having all those years on the force and all that training it still makes one wonder.

But I agree with you. And because she only pulled the trigger once I do not believe it was intentional murder. I can give her the benefit of the doubt on that aspect of this.
Agreed on all points. Tunnel vision won here.

And I will add this and just say it for the hundredth time, if the kid just complied he would be either out committing crimes or working and raising his kid but he would be alive.

from what little information I know of the case and from the video, I think the shooting was accidental. She is yelling taser then immediately realizes after she fired that she ****ed up. I think its genuine otherwise she would have to be a straight psychopath to fake all that in order to murder someone. I am looking forward to watching this trial on Rekieta Law once the opening statements start.

I listened to jury selection yesterday on Rekieta law. The judge is BORING. When I say she’s boring, I can’t emphasize how monotone and bland she is. She’s brutal. Hopefully she shuts up during the trial and that’s more interesting. ...
Don't soft-pedal it.

Andrew "@Law of Self Defense" Branca spotted this Voir Dire gem;
the judge getting more info about a jury pool member's
friend who was the victim of a fatal stabbing in Minneapolis.

Warning: put down the beverage before hitting <Play>.

Hat tip: Legal Insurrection blog

1). Potter was issued a different stun gun to use as a duty weapon that was different from what other cops in the department carried.

Day one was today, opening statements and 2 prosecution witnesses

Opening statements: prosecution woman presentation sounded like a dramatic reading at some coffee house , not horrible but she wasn’t good either. The defense was good, was a bit too detailed at one point but kept it relatively short and too the point. The prosecution as in so many cases is trying to say the dead person, daunte Wright, was an angel. The prosecution was obsessed with repeatedly mentioning Kim potters ammo was hole point (stupid because it’s department issued, not her choice. And the prosecution’s opening statement implied the only issue for the stop was an air refresher from the mirror and expired tags. (They should be honest rather than let the defense introduce the complete picture, but they’re stupid)

First witness was daunted mother who cried a lot, talked about her angel and kind boy. She gave hime $50 so he could go get his car washed and gas. She was “very close to him”, etc. on direct it was sympathy stuff, his childhood and crying to get the jury to feel her pain. It didn’t do much for the case in my opinion.

On cross, daunte didn’t have a license, had never had a license, had no insurance for the car. But mom let him use it and gave him money. Whatever sympathy the jury had, they lost it there.

2nd witness was the cop who made the stop on daunte. He’s been a cop for 3 years but with 2 other small towns prior to Brooklyn center MN. He was being trained that day by Kim potter, a FTO. It was his stop, he initiated it, daunte had bad tags, air freshener from the mirror, was driving with the wrong turn signal on. Area has high gun crime, high murders, lots of drugs and crime. On the stop the trainee officer Luckey learned daunte was driving without a license, no insurance (gave the cop someone else’s insurance that was 3 years old, car smelled of pot, had pot shake on the center console, had an open protection order against him, had an open bench warrant for a gross misdemeanor gun charge. Not exactly the angle the prosecution portrayed.

Daunte tried to flee when being handcuffed, trainee and patrol Sargent (3rd cop at the stop) were half in the car as wright was struggling and attempts flee. Trainee Luckey said he would have used a taser on daunte too, felt it was justified. Potter shot wright but thought she was tasing him. Prosecution is saying potter wasn’t even justified to use the taser. Their own witness refuted that today. 2nd witness Luckey was very helpful to the defense, on redirect the prosecution tried to impeach their own witness. They aLeo showed the body cam of Luckey after potter shot daunte, she collapsed on the sidewalk and was crying hysterically. The video is very clear she did this by accident and was shocked she accidentally had the gun in her hand. If it’s an accident, it’s not a crime unless they show she acted recklessly or negligent. Potter was a cop for 26 years, never once fired her gun or taser on duty. Prosecution tried to play up how extensive cop training is (we all know that’s BS)

Day one reminds me of Rittenhouse and Zimmerman where the prosecution wItnesses were more helpful to the defense than prosecution. It seems all the other cops liked potter and I seriously doubt any of the cops the prosecution calls are going to say much to hurt her. They absolutely need to call these witnesses to build their case in the evidence, they don’t have a choice.

On the defense witness list is Kim potter, use of force expert, etc and also the former police chief of Brooklyn center MN.

I thought the case was trash from the day she was charged and today didn’t change that view at all. Should have never been charged, like Zimmerman and Rittenhouse, this is a political prosecution. If daunte were white or Asian, maybe even Hispanic, we would never have heard about it. The MN AG is prosecuting this, not the local DA.

I believe it was an accident. I hope because of this, the cop goes free.

I fear if this happens, there will be riots, looting and arson. I hope this fear doesn't influence the jury.

I don't understand why. Accident or on purpose, Wright and many others that preceeded him and were the cause for riots were dirtbags. The world is better off without them. But I guess everyone was a good boy if you can get some free Nikes.

I fear if this happens, there will be riots, looting and arson. I hope this fear doesn't influence the jury.

I don't understand why. Accident or on purpose, Wright and many others that preceeded him and were the cause for riots were dirtbags. The world is better off without them. But I guess everyone was a good boy if you can get some free Nikes.
The Eurie Stamps shooting was an accident, and the victim was not one of those "well, the world lost another dirtbag" type of shootee.

Officer Duncan of the Framingham PD was never charged, and kept his job as a police officer.

Perhaps Stamps did not rates riots and protests because he was an older, peaceful citizen not a member of the criminal class.

The Eurie Stamps shooting was an accident, and the victim was not one of those "well, the world lost another dirtbag" type of shootee.

Officer Duncan of the Framingham PD was never charged, and kept his job as a police officer.

Perhaps Stamps did not rates riots and protests because he was an older, peaceful citizen not a member of the criminal class.

Not familiar with the case, but a quick read makes this sound like a great time to be pissed off and riot. (for those like me who don't know it - 68 year old black guy - house incorrectly raided - held at gunpoint, not resisting and accidently shot - I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but that's the gist) Why wasn't anyone righteously upset? He even fits the race part to tie in with "cops murder black guys" - this case should get sympathy.

"Shitbag resists cop and gets killed" gets everyone going crazy. I just don't get the sympathy for criminals.

Why the hell does anyone care that a dirtbag got killed?

Or do people just want to riot?

I don't believe it was a conscious intentional use of a firearm.
To use an insight I had this morning,
grabbing the wrong weapon off the wrong side of your duty belt under extreme pressure
seems analogous to a typo caused by hitting the wrong key on your keyboard under stress.

Yes, I know that most typos don't kill somebody.
To leverage a corner of the law that Alec Baldwin is highlighting
(and that I don't actually want to memorize),
I know that use of the average computer's keyboard doesn't require
as much care as the use of a firearm.

I know this analogy sounds as callous
as Granny Winebox referring to 4-figure paycheck bonuses as "crumbs").

Officer Duncan had Eurie Stamps on the floor while holding an AR pointed at his neck, safety off, finger inside trigger guard. The "An accident for which criminal charges are not appropriate" (DA's comment before the so-called investigation was complete)

Interesting contrast on people’s feelings about the Baldwin shooting and this one.

I’m pretty certain she indeed mistook her pistol for her taser and it was an accident. I’m not so certain that it’s still not a crime. It shouldn’t be okay to kill someone because of your own mistakes and not be held accountable.

Interesting contrast on people’s feelings about the Baldwin shooting and this one.

I’m pretty certain she indeed mistook her pistol for her taser and it was an accident. I’m not so certain that it’s still not a crime. It shouldn’t be okay to kill someone because of your own mistakes and not be held accountable.

This. Involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide type charge. Clearly not murder.

It’s cold in Minnesota, there won’t be riots. I doubt there would be in the summer either, if the trial was then. The political people wanted riots for the election, they don’t want them now. Also, I doubt anyone cares Wright is dead.

Wright was wanted on a warrant and was attempting to flee with two cops partially in the vehicle, potter had the legal right to shoot him with her gun even if she purposely drew her gun.

Today the prosecution spent almost the entire day, maybe 7 witnesses on the accident wright caused by fleeing. Beyond boring and irrelevant to the reason for the trial.

Wright was wanted on a warrant and was attempting to flee with two cops partially in the vehicle, potter had the legal right to shoot him with her gun even if she purposely drew her gun.

Today the prosecution spent almost the entire day, maybe 7 witnesses on the accident wright caused by fleeing. Beyond boring and irrelevant to the reason for the trial.

Well he crashed because she shot him. The vehicle was stationary when he was shot. Nice mischaracterization.

Well he crashed because she shot him. The vehicle was stationary when he was shot. Nice mischaracterization.

The testimony by prosecution witnesses thus far is Wright was in the passenger seat and trying to put the car in gear and he had a previous instance of fleeing from the police which these cops knew about when they ran his name in the system. His actions were very clear in the testimony thus far, he was getting in the car and attempting to flee

That the car was stationary actually is damaging to the prosecution case. The prosecution is trying to say the actions of potter were reckless because the car was in gear or motion when she fired and that action caused the injuries to the passenger in wrights car, his hookup partner of 3 weeks, and the elderly couple Wright hit when he fled. That’s why all the witnesses on day two were all regarding that crash and not the shooting.

I just saw an article with her belt layout. If that is her belt, her taser isn't cross draw. So he taser draw is a opposite hand draw same as her pistol draw.

That tells me a lot about what went wrong. As pretty much EVERYONE has now on the record has stated, cross draw for the taser. Stops the strong hand from doing what it normally does and forces a break in motion. No sympathetic muscle response to the act of drawing.

It's a little ways down on the ticker at this point.

I just saw an article with her belt layout. If that is her belt, her taser isn't cross draw. So he taser draw is a opposite hand draw same as her pistol draw.

That tells me a lot about what went wrong. As pretty much EVERYONE has now on the record has stated, cross draw for the taser. Stops the strong hand from doing what it normally does and forces a break in motion. No sympathetic muscle response to the act of drawing.

It's a little ways down on the ticker at this point.
Her Taser is in a cross draw position. The grip of the Taser is opposite the grip of the handgun. If it was on the gun side the grip would be the same. When she puts the belt on it should place the taser opposite her gun. On a side note horrible duty holster. The Safariland 295 were banned from use by LA PD cause they offered poor retention. Her holsters retention snap is cracked and broken.

Back
Top Bottom