Daunte Wright Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Edit: Shot by cop who thought she was using a TASER

I don't believe he was actually stopped for the air freshener, thats what his mother (I think?)was yelling about on the live stream when this all started
According to the article posted he was stopped for that. If that's not the case I'll change my opinion but thats just what the story said

According to the article posted he was stopped for that. If that's not the case I'll change my opinion but thats just what the story said
Yeah Im just saying what I had seen/read about it last night. Without being there and seeing it I doubt we'll ever know the truth at this point. Its possible he was both a scumbag and also did nothing wrong to deserve being killed in this instance

Yeah Im just saying what I had seen/read about it last night. Without being there and seeing it I doubt we'll ever know the truth at this point. Its possible he was both a scumbag and also did nothing wrong to deserve being killed in this instance
O yeah im sure he was a dope lol he did run

Other than the statements of "driver had warrants" have you seen any more detail of what the warrant was for? I haven't.
No, they're keeping pretty quiet on the fact he had warrants so I'm sure they're going to be very quiet on what the warrants were for unless it fits their narrative.
If we don't hear what they were for then you know they were pretty bad.

That what his mother said he was stopped for. We haven't heard the official reason yet.

"Wright Was Pulled Over Because of an Air Freshener in the Rearview Mirror of His Mother’s Car, His Family Says"

Yes I did. I'm not taking sides here, just providing information because of some of the questions asked.

The problem is you're providing wrong information.

The fleeing felon rule is not about being able to shoot someone with warrants who tries to run. It allows the use of deadly force when the person has committed a felony, is running, AND where the cop has probably cause to believe that the person poses a significant threat of death or bodily harm to someone.

Did you read this before you posted it?
"A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

— Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner

The problem is you're providing wrong information.

The fleeing felon rule is not about being able to shoot someone with warrants who tries to run. It allows the use of deadly force when the person has committed a felony, is running, AND where the cop has probably cause to believe that the person poses a significant threat of death or bodily harm to someone.
And that cop may have had probable cause to believe he posed a significant threat if death or bodily harm to someone.
There is not enough info available yet to form an informed opinion.

According to the article he had only begun to drive away. If anything the cops shooting him were the only ones putting other people (like his passenger, or anyone that got hit by the car with the ventilated driver behind the wheel) in physical danger,

That what his mother said he was stopped for. We haven't heard the official reason yet.

"Wright Was Pulled Over Because of an Air Freshener in the Rearview Mirror of His Mother’s Car, His Family Says"
Ooo I missed that I thought the mom claimed it was tints and they corrected it to the air freshener

According to the article he had only begun to drive away. If anything the cops shooting him were the only ones putting other people (like his passenger, or anyone that got hit by the car with the ventilated driver behind the wheel) in physical danger,
We'll have to see if his criminal past gave the officer the probable cause required.

This has all the makings of a runner trying to run over an officer/hit a cruiser. I'd just wait on making declarations of whether or not the officers who pulled were in the right or wrong until further information/footage becomes available, because the story keeps changing on the part of the deceased's family.

Probable cause to believe that he was about to kill or hurt somebody?
This is the law in MN. Do with it what you want but you seem to have your mind made up even with the very limited information you have.
I've yet to form an opinion on the situation.

Minnesota statute 609.066 outlines three conditions under which the use of deadly force by an officer is justified:

1) To protect the officer or another person from death or great bodily harm.
2) To capture someone who the officer believes has committed or attempted a felony involving or threatening deadly force.
3) To capture someone the officer believes will cause death or great bodily harm if the apprehension is delayed.

In practice, the law boils down to a "subjective" perception about whether an individual officer felt threatened, Densley said.

"If they believe they saw a gun, even if that gun may have been a cell phone or a wallet or may have been nothing at all," Densley said, "if they believe they've seen that and therefore have made decisions accordingly, that would then be justified under that existing law."

I've yet to form an opinion on the situation.

If you say so.

Minnesota statute 609.066 outlines three conditions under which the use of deadly force by an officer is justified:

1) To protect the officer or another person from death or great bodily harm.
2) To capture someone who the officer believes has committed or attempted a felony involving or threatening deadly force.
3) To capture someone the officer believes will cause death or great bodily harm if the apprehension is delayed.

You do realize that the felony referred to in #2 in the above list is one that he's trying to escape from right, not just one that he might have had warrants for (i.e. an old felony)?

If you say so.

You do realize that the felony referred to in #2 in the above list is one that he's trying to escape from right, not just one that he might have had warrants for (i.e. an old felony)?
I'll wait until all the facts are in before forming an opinion.
I don't know how any intelligent person can justify forming any opinion with so little information.

Regardless of facts in this case I have alot of respect for officers that deal with Black folks at all after the year we just had. You couldnt pay me enough to put on that uniform and try to police these people, any and all mistakes could ruin your life or worse and the media will call it justified.

I don't know how any intelligent person can justify forming any opinion with so little information.

I haven't formed an opinion any more than you have, the difference though is that I'm not ready to pat the cop on the back or make excuses based on the reported facts. Innocent until proven guilty and all, and from what we know so far he got shot dead as he was driving away from a traffic stop.

I haven't formed an opinion any more than you have, the difference though is that I'm not ready to pat the cop on the back or make excuses based on the reported facts. Innocent until proven guilty and all, and from what we know so far he got shot dead as he was driving away from a traffic stop.
I'm not ready to pat the cop on the back either or make excuses for him, neither of which I have done here.
I am willing to not judge or form an opinion until all the facts have been released.
Unfortunately many have already formed opinions and started up the looting and rioting again.

We'll have to see if his criminal past gave the officer the probable cause required.

Wonder what it was in his past that would justify killing him in the present.

I think we are all waiting for the real facts before forming a real serious opinion. But discussing the the suitability of the statutes you posted, like @new guy did, does not mean they have formed an opinion yet. Merely an opinion about the statutes you posted. I don't get anything from your posts, that deadly force is permitted in a situation where the offender has past warrants and is trying to fell.

Pulling someone over for an air freshener hanging off the rearview mirror seems pretty stupid nowadays. I drive home every day and see every single car pretty much with five masks hanging from the rearview mirror😂😂

Wonder what it was in his past that would justify killing him in the present.

I think we are all waiting for the real facts before forming a real serious opinion. But discussing the the suitability of the statutes you posted, like @new guy did, does not mean they have formed an opinion yet. Merely an opinion about the statutes you posted. I don't get anything from your posts, that deadly force is permitted in a situation where the offender has past warrants and is trying to fell.
My posts only provide the information that is available. One of those statute's may have been ground for lethal force or it may not have. I posted the statute's so people would know what could be used as justification for lethal force.
People were posting a lot of opinions about it so I figured I would post the actual facts.

Once again my idea for reform is proven to have merit. Overturn all these stupid f***ing laws about window tint, obstructed windshields, loud music, modified exhaust, etc and you will reduce these stupid police fishing expeditions. Less police contact = less police killings.

My posts only provide the information that is available. One of those statute's may have been ground for lethal force or it may not have. I posted the statute's so people would know what could be used as justification for lethal force.
People were posting a lot of opinions about it so I figured I would post the actual facts.

Are you an actual lawyer in MN, or is what you posted an internet fact? Based on the facts you posted, I would have a hard time seeing how a cop would think deadly force was a permissible option. But, like you said, very few facts are out. We can reserve judgement, like the BLM protesters who are in the streets right now. I'm sure they are reserving their judgement, too.

It's not a fact that a cop can shoot someone who's fleeing just because they have outstanding warrants. But it does seem to be your opinion that they can. [smile]

He had outstanding warrants and tried to flee.

Except he was a lifelong criminal with outstanding warrants.

He didn't get shot because of an air freshener, he got shot because he had outstanding warrants and he tried to flee from the police.
I don't know if it's SOP to shoot fleeing felons but let's not make this about an air freshener or window tint.

I'm not sure if it's SOP to shoot a fleeing felon but it wasn't about the traffic stop. He was fleeing because he had outstanding warrants.

No, they're keeping pretty quiet on the fact he had warrants so I'm sure they're going to be very quiet on what the warrants were for unless it fits their narrative.
If we don't hear what they were for then you know they were pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom