• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

David Kenik’s “Close Quarters Shooting Course”

I attended Dave’s Close Quarters Shooting Course at Harvard Sportsmen Club on a beautiful Saturday this June. David greeted us all at 9am sharp. He gave us a short background intro on what to expect for the day and then we were off to the clubhouse for 2 hours of classes. Dave provided an in depth lecture about handgun self defense and then real-life confrontation/self defense scenarios. We paired up to learn and try some self-defense hand to hand techniques. Dave provided Airsoft guns for some of the training, as some shooters had questions about action-vs.-reaction. The close quarter encounters, even with a fake gun, were real eye openers for all!
Our outside work began with Dave running thru range safety followed by an explanation of what we would be doing for the next 6 hours. Drills start out with single targets and then shooting as a group. Dave is a safety Nazi, and a good one, so don’t take anything personal. Emphasis was on shooting from the draw, shooting multiple targets, extreme close range shooting, shooting on the move, finding and shooting from cover, shooting to get to cover, basic hand defense while drawing and equipment torture. You will be cleaning gear for hours when you’re done. A lot of shooting is done at bad-breath distance, so you must be familiar with your gun. This is not a beginner’s course. Take either the Armed Response or Basic Defensive Handgun courses David offers and you will be ready for this one.
When David tells you to bring 500 rounds of ammo, you just might use that last box, so bring 600. All the basics are covered and many techniques are just brilliant with well thought out tactics that just might save your life on the streets. I highly recommend his training courses and they are a must if you carry a firearm for protection. Every practiced defense skill in your corner might save your life some day. This course was what I was looking for. Dave lives the life he teaches; you’ll like him a lot, but be prepared for one extremely intense individual. Remember, there are no points for second place in a gunfight.

Just wondering if anyone here on northeastshooters have taken any of David Kenik's courses? If so, any comments on his teachings, techniques? Or maybe someone has taken another course Kenik puts on?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try an Advanced Search here?

I know that he's put on some classes in the area and perhaps (I haven't looked) someone has written a review that you might find here?

yes tried that and was not successful. Might have overlooked something.

Another question, and reason why the training forum only shows posts from the last 24 hours? Any way to change that to show posts from a month or so like the other forums?

Does anyone know what David Keniks "credentials" are? I mean, where did he get the experience from which he teaches? If I remember correctly I thought it said somewhere in his book that he just took a lot of classes and compiled all his notes into a book. I have not verified this info. Anyway, before I consider taking anyone's class I always like to have a thorough understanding of their background and experience.

-Cuz.

Does anyone know what David Keniks "credentials" are? I mean, where did he get the experience from which he teaches? If I remember correctly I thought it said somewhere in his book that he just took a lot of classes and compiled all his notes into a book. I have not verified this info. Anyway, before I consider taking anyone's class I always like to have a thorough understanding of their background and experience.

-Cuz.

+1

great point. I have read his book as well as told by fsguns his classes were well worth it. Took them up on their word and enjoyed David's class. Hopefully he will see this thread and post some info. If not, I will send him a PM asking him to comment.

Thanks to all!

To say that I took a few classes and “took notes” would be simplistic to say the least.

I have attended classes from many world class trainers in the private citizen, law enforcement, and military realm. For my own training regiment and in the classes that I teach, (which is constantly evolving) I take the best techniques from the instructors that I have worked with. They are often combined and modified to work for “Joe Citizen” as the tactics and techniques appropriate for the private citizen are usually different than those for LE and military. These differences are due to dissimilar terms of engagements, lawful use of lethal force, equipment, training regiments, and the lack of partner or team components. My techniques are tested and evaluated on the range and in hands-on force-on-force scenarios.

What I teach are techniques that work for the average CCW person taught from a perspective of private citizen who CCWs on a daily basis. I have been carrying for over 25 years. Some of what I learned is from doing things the wrong way—due to a lack of professional training for too many of those early years. I teach so others don’t make the same mistakes. I know what works for me and I explain why and how I came to that conclusion. As SpeedyTT said, I live what I teach, and teach what I live.

In addition to my private training, I am also the President of the Police Officers Safety Association that offers enhanced training the law enforcement officers nationwide. Additionally, I am a contributing editor to Intermedia Outdoors (formally Primedia), Harris Publications, and SWAT, and have been published in Handguns, Book of the AR15, Rifle Shooter, Combat Handguns, Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement, Barrett Annual, Tactical Weapons, and SWAT.

This gets to a fundamental question - from where does credibility spring?

Some think that an instructor is only credible if they have done merc work, been in a police or military unit, or won a national shooting title (which is how people like Voigt/Barnhart/Jarret get contracts teaching for various government agencies). Others feel that credibility can be obtained through scholarship of the tactical arts. There is no doubt some merit to both schools of thought.

But, if you look for real world credibility there are certain experiences that LEO or retired LEO just won't have:

- Dealing with the consequences of pulling a gun and having the assailant call the police to report "I was assaulted by a man with a gun."

- Dealing with the post-incident interrogation from the perspective of a civilian without connections.

- Facing trial for pulling or displaying a gun in a self-defense situation. I know two people who were found "not guilty" on this charge - I suspect they have a degree of credibility in explaining the ordeal that your typical "been there, done that, faced the elephant" grizzled instructor will never have.

- Dealing with the various nuances of civilian carry that do not apply to persons with de-facto immunity from prohibited zones, and who receive, rather than issue, and apology if they "made" while carrying and contacted by on duty LEO.

But, if you look for real world credibility there are certain experiences that LEO or retired LEO just won't have:

Good point. Also 99.9% of military will have no experience with those things.

B

I think each person needs to decide their own criteria for credibility. For me it is intelligence, knowledge of the subject matter, and intellectual honesty. I don't care how they got it as long as they have it. Certification, classes, real world experience, and being published can't compensate for a mind that is not thinking.

Last edited:
I should clarify as one person who PMed interpreted my comment in a way I did not expect. I am not commenting on David Kenik. I have not met him, trained with him, or read anything he has written. I was making a generalization about how you cannot gauge credibility solely by the metrics I specified. You need to meet them, study their ideas (writing, conversation, lecture), and make a decision for yourself. Talent and insight will evidence themselves quickly. It's a learning process and you will probably be burned a few times before learning to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It doesn't matter whether it's gunsmithing, programming, martial arts, bonsai, action shooting etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom