• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Davis v. Grimes

An update. Last night our motion to amend the complaint with new people was denied. This is not a big deal, it's procedural in nature. We didn't "lose" the case or anything like that. As the judge pointed out in his denial, we can file a new case. So we will be filing a new case with those plaintiffs in the future. This morning, the judge stayed the case pending a supplemental briefing on the need for more discovery. This is also not a big deal. It's procedural in nature.

Short version, more waiting.

See the below link and look for the stuff from Dec 14 and beyond. We don't know what it means, but you can reach your own conclusions. You can bet we will be making sure to get Weymouth to clarify what their filings mean.

http://ia601602.us.archive.org/28/items/gov.uscourts.mad.149330/gov.uscourts.mad.149330.docket.html

My interpretation: "We said we restrict all first-time applicants except special people, now we've changed our minds and only restrict people who don't beg us enough. Please don't make us actually defend our practices in person in front of a judge."

My interpretation: "We said we restrict all first-time applicants except special people, now we've changed our minds and only restrict people who don't beg us enough. Please don't make us actually defend our practices in person in front of a judge."

Spot on!

Too bad there is not a way to contact all LTC holders in Weymouth and get them all to ask for restrictions removed and to further make sure that all new applicants simply state they want a LTC without restrictions and push the point.

BTW: Here is a preview of the defendant's MSJ.
...but also that those same individuals have the common sense not to carry a concealed or unconcealed weapon while walking down Main Street.14
Within their MSJ is the state defining legal carry in public, even concealed, as something licensed individuals should have "the common sense" not to do? Is it the state's expectation that those who can legally carry not carry in public?

Spot on!

Too bad there is not a way to contact all LTC holders in Weymouth and get them all to ask for restrictions removed and to further make sure that all new applicants simply state they want a LTC without restrictions and push the point.

Im a weymouth LTC holder with restrictions. When I applied I was told they would only approve a T&H LTC and don't even think about asking for unrestricted. I'll write a letter. What would it need to say?

Im a weymouth LTC holder with restrictions. When I applied I was told they would only approve a T&H LTC and don't even think about asking for unrestricted. I'll write a letter. What would it need to say?

Wait a few weeks and we may have more information on what that letter needs to say.

Ooh, the Batty plaintiffs licenses are especially interesting since they got their unrestricted LTCs and then the chief did a "take-back". I would think that strengthens the case for a specific harm suffered by the plaintiffs.
They're not the only ones. There are others from Winchester who have had their LTCs 'recalled'.

They're not the only ones. There are others from Winchester who have had their LTCs 'recalled'.

I hope the chief enjoys explaining to the Board of Selectmen and town counsel how he managed to cost the town what will be thousands of dollars in legal fees. Given what this winter has done to the snow removal budget, I'm sure the Board of Selectmen will be eager to spend a pile of money on this.

Wow, they sure know how to drag things out..
I don't mean to be impatient, but I'm 69 years old.
Seems like these restrictions on my so-called "carry" permit have been going on since about 1974.

When you get older and weaker, you come to realize that any thug who wanted to,
could just shove you to the ground and kick you into a coma in about 2 minutes.

Hey, maybe they'll let us restricted LTC folks carry non-lethal stun-guns? [laugh]

Cheers,
Rich

Seems like these restrictions on my so-called "carry" permit have been going on since about 1974.

Hey, maybe they'll let us restricted LTC folks carry non-lethal stun-guns? [laugh]

Cheers,
Rich

There is another case dealing with stun guns. Until than still ilegal to posses and the court seems to be scared of the quote "universe of weapons"

We just filed the amended complaint in the new case. This should go a little faster now. At least there will be more activity for a while.

There is another case dealing with stun guns. Until than still ilegal to posses and the court seems to be scared of the quote "universe of weapons"

Is there an end in sight?

What do they think, this is Star Trek?

We just filed the amended complaint in the new case. This should go a little faster now. At least there will be more activity for a while.

Was your reply for Davis v Grimes

Was wondering the same thing. Is this now a "new case"?

Looking quickly at the trial records, both parties responded to the judge's instruction for memorandum, which he required prior to deciding on the summary motions to dismiss.

So there is still no decision at the district court level. Once there is a decision at that level, I would expect the loser would appeal to the appellate court. And after a decision at that level, I expect another appeal to SCOTUS.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

ok then, how is Davis V Grimes going?

Technically, it's probably going to go away. Weymouth and Peabody are issuing mostly unrestricted at the moment and this is a win for us in the sense that things have improved in those two towns. But it's a loss in that there is no court ruling. There is a new case that we have filed which will pick up where this case has left off. That's against New Bedford, Winchester and Lowell.

Technically, it's probably going to go away. Weymouth and Peabody are issuing mostly unrestricted at the moment and this is a win for us in the sense that things have improved in those two towns. But it's a loss in that there is no court ruling. There is a new case that we have filed which will pick up where this case has left off. That's against New Bedford, Winchester and Lowell.

Lowell ...... Very nice.

Here's a link to the new case: Batty et al v. Albertelli et al.

At the bottom of that page is a link to a PDF of the Amended Complaint, which was filed last week.

Bump, and I just donated what my meager means will allow.
Thank you, and good luck with the Batty case.
Hopefully my town will get the message too.

Cheers,
Rich

I think a lot of people gave up on licenses after1998. They all just went off the radar.

Back
Top Bottom