Day at the range with the kids

speedy

NES Member
My 11 yr old daughter has been to the range multiple times but not my 7 yr old son. Today I took both. Took 500+ unicorn rounds "22's" , and got them firing a ruger 10/22 takedown, a mini Henry, and my Golden Boy (iron sights only).They had a blast.

Later on, I introduced both to my 5.56. They took to it very well. They landed a few bullseye at 100yrds with glass.

While driving back home, my daughter told me that she felt taller when walking to the car, and really confident. She was not sure why. I asked her, "what do you mean?". She said, I just felt really good about myself.
I almost teared up. She is an accomplished hockey player, softball player, and she has never expressed feeling that way with the sports she plays. She is a good kid, and I think she learned something about herself today. It was a really good day...still is.

Last edited:
This is awesome, and my daughter has made me tear up more in the last 3 years than I have in the 31 prior, lol.

7 huh? God I can't wait to take my little girl to the range.

Awesome work! Amazing when the kids try something and achieve how good they'll feel! My son was having troubke shooting trap all last year. Could never get more than 6. I love trap and he kept going last year but over the summer I could feel he was getting frustrated.......opted to go play with his friends rather than go to the club on trap nights all through august and September. He is 13. I kept encouraging him to go......not forcing him......and explaining that some things take work to get better at unlike most things at school these days where everyone is considered equal. Well......he started going again 2 weeks ago and seemed to figure it out.......hit for 13 and 15 last week and yesterday hit for 16 and 17! The older guys at the club congratulate him for sticking with it and you could see the pride in his eyes! Its awesome being a dad sometimes.

Good deal to the op......I know how ya feel!

My 11 yr old daughter has been to the range multiple times but not my 7 yr old son. Today I took both. Took 500+ unicorn rounds "22's" , and got them firing a ruger 10/22 takedown, a mini Henry, and my Golden Boy (iron sights only).They had a blast.

Later on, I introduced both to my 5.56. They took to it very well. They landed a few bullseye at 100yrds with glass.

While driving back home, my daughter told me that she felt taller when walking to the car, and really confident. She was not sure why. I asked her, "what do you mean?". She said, I just felt really good about myself.
I almost teared up. She is an accomplished hockey player, softball player, and she has never expressed feeling that way with the sports she plays. She is a good kid, and I think she learned something about herself today. It was a really good day...still is.

I don't know how you didn't. I did just reading it.

Nice job Dad [thumbsup]
My son has been shooting since he was 5
At 14, I put him on his first solo stand for deer with his Grandfathers black powder rifle.
An hour later he made a perfect heart shot on one.
I'm not easy, but i'd be a liar if I said there wasn't a tear on the cheek.

I don't mean to hijack the thread to promote Appleseed, but I will anyway, because this coming weekend Appleseed is hosting a youth shoot at Harvard (Saturday, Oct 18). If you have trouble acquiring .22LR for the kiddies, PM me because we have a small supply for youth shooters only. Loaner rifles may be available if you notify us in advance. PM me if you need equipment or have other questions.

As an Appleseed Instructor, I've seen many parents and kids enjoy a similar day at the range together as speedy's experience with his son and daughter. It's a wonderful thing. Plus, you get to hear the wonderful story of our heritage. THINK OF THE CHILDREN---TEACH THEM TO SHOOT!

Event tickets:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard...-18-2014-youth-only-event-tickets-12603612745

Last edited:
I don't mean to hijack the thread to promote Appleseed, but I will anyway, because this coming weekend Appleseed is hosting a youth shoot at Harvard (Saturday, Oct 18). If you have trouble acquiring .22LR for the kiddies, PM me because we have a small supply for youth shooters only. Loaner rifles may be available if you notify us in advance. PM me if you need equipment or have other questions.

As an Appleseed Instructor, I've seen many parents and kids enjoy a similar day at the range together as speedy's experience with his son and daughter. It's a wonderful thing. Plus, you get to hear the wonderful story of our heritage. THINK OF THE CHILDREN---TEACH THEM TO SHOOT!

Event tickets:
http://www.eventbrite.com/e/harvard...-18-2014-youth-only-event-tickets-12603612745

Man.......I took my son to a 22 plate shoot at country pond F and G last weekend and we had a blast. If it weren't opening day of pheasant/rabbit I'd be there for sure! The time says 8:30am to 4:30pm.........do you have to be there right at 8:30am for the entire event or is it something that just goes all day and we could arrive at like 1:00pm?

Its great to bring the kids. My 6 yr old started this yr and is doing well.
I also like the when the fudds get all flustered.... when my pink gun shooting girl dints the 50 yd steel with irons...

We had a blast. My son Is already asking we we are going back.
We are busy with hockey season, I also assist coach both teams. But I have already penciled in a few days to take them back.

Back
Top Bottom