• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

dc

Heading to DC for a Funeral at Arlington. Have never been to D.C. Looking for suggestions from the brain trust on what section of DC or Virginia to stay in for a few days that is in walking distance or public transportation away from most of the DC attractions. I would appreciate any suggestions Thanks!

I stayed in Arlington, easy access to the subway into all the DC attractions. I stayed at my cousins house so no help on Hotels.

I stayed in Rockville, a lot cheaper than DC and it's a half hour commuter rail trip into the center of DC

Heading to DC for a Funeral at Arlington. Have never been to D.C. Looking for suggestions from the brain trust on what section of DC or Virginia to stay in for a few days that is in walking distance or public transportation away from most of the DC attractions. I would appreciate any suggestions Thanks!

My condolences on your loss. [halfmast]

If you have time take a look at their APP, it helps with the day of the funeral events and the rest of the cemetery.

Arlington National Cemetery > Visit or the desktop version: ANC Explorer

Long, long time ago I had to go to DC a lot for hearings and things. We would stay in a neat Hyatt in Bethesda. Short walk to the Metro (Red Line, I seem to recall): straight shot to downtown, clean, on time.

The trouble with the foregoing is that it was a long, long time ago.

I stayed about. . . ah crap, this is 12-13 yrs ago. NVMD.

We were outside the city. But the hotel - in an industrial area - had a shuttle to the metro which whisked us into the city proper. I got the sense that getting in and out of DC was pretty easy.

We only had a day. We went to the National Archives b/c my girls couldn't believe that the Constitution and DoI still existed. :). We also wandered the mall, took in Link as well as the Vietnam Memorial.

Would love to go back and hit the Smithsonian. Maybe the National Gallery of Art. Spy museum. I'd have to make a week of it.

We're going in october. I booked us at The Virginia Suites in Arlington gton. About a 5 minute walk to the Marine Corps Memorial and Arlington Cemetery.

Should be plenty of public transportation from Bethesda or Silver Spring. Wouldn't be a bad idea to rent a car either. Parking garages in DC aren't nearly as bad as they are in Boston or NYC. I think I paid $20 for the day in one that was only 4 blocks from the Capitol the last time I was down there 3 or 4 years ago.

If you plan to do a lot of site seeing around the Mall, then it may be worth the extra money to get a hotel there instead of having to take the Metro in and out. I lived in Alexandria and hated taking the Metro in. I would either drive or ride my bike.

Courtyard by Marriott Fairfax Fair Oaks is within walking distance of the NRA National Firearms Museum.

Back
Top Bottom