• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DD Free Float Quad Rail really necessary on a Carbine?

Just ordered my Stag Carbine upper. Now I'm researching quad rails. I'm going for quality on this build, and I plan on mounting an optic (aimpoint or Eocech - havent decided yet). I'm wondering if a free float is really necessary for this rifle. I'm operating at distances of up too 150 yards max. However I do plan on mounting a vertical hand grip and a tac light. Will these accessories put enough strain on the barrel to warrant a $250 free float? For the money I'll save I'll be well on my way to an optic.

If not... Can anyone suggest any quality (non free float) qaud rails for my carbine. No plastic crap.

Thanks dudes.

I love my DD Omega Free-Float. But I don't see any real accuracy difference that's noticeable with an unmagnified optic and my generally poor trigger control.

I read an interesting article in G&A Book of the AR, 2008. Author Dave Spaulding did a test on free floating and accuracy. His results were as follows:

Baseline groups:
"I benchrested [Stag] Model 3 [20" barrel] on [plug for tactical sandbags] and shot a series of 5-shot groups. [weather report] My best groups measured 1 1/4", my worst 2 1/4" "

Post float:
"This time my measured 1/2", an improvement of 50%. There's no reason to suspect that other rifles or other forends would give significantly different results, so in my opinion, free-floating a barrel does increase its accuracy at a noticeable level. "

He then asked if the cost is worth it and left it up to the shooter to decide that.

If you're happy with 2 MOA then no, if you want groups the size of your thumb, yes.

My equipment should out perform my skills and I should strive to match the equipment performance. That's why I'll be free floating during my build. As for accessory mounting, the rails are worth it, so maybe a drop in unit would be your compromise for economy & options.

Hope this was helpful

It's not just the weight of the accessory's, any type of sling torque or shooting position torque will affect point of impact as well.

The DD rail is worth the money, I wouldn't expect great accuracy out of a Stag so it you'll have to decide how much money you want to put in to it.

Back
Top Bottom