Deal on led shop lights

Beware of these Ocean State Joblot lights. I replaced my whole shop with these, while I don't miss the fluorescent lights since the LED's seem brighter, about 10% of these new lights begin to flicker after they warm up at varying times of warmup. The flickering is so bad they have to be turned off. I have returned a dozen of these and I still have a couple that flicker. Pain is the ass
I guess you get what you pay for in this case

Beware of these Ocean State Joblot lights. I replaced my whole shop with these, while I don't miss the fluorescent lights since the LED's seem brighter, about 10% of these new lights begin to flicker after they warm up at varying times of warmup.
The manufacturer has an okay rep, but I suppose there's often a reason why product ends up at Ocean State Job Lot.

I picked up a pair this evening. Will put them up tomorrow in the workshop.
Ocean State in Gardner also had pairs of LED tubes that can replace florescent tubes in "most" normal florescent fixtures for about $2 less. I picked up 2 sets of those as well. Good news is they're actually quite bright. Bad news is "most fixtures" does not appear to include 3 and a half of the current fixtures in my workshop. Cold weather performance is a big deal to me as my workshop is in a separate building that is only heated (somewhat) when I'm out there.

Would led lights mess with reloading electronic scales less than fluorescent lights? I thought fluorescent lights could cause interference?

What kind of interference?

I used to use CFLs in my reloading room, but they piss me off because they buzz and have terrible CRI, so I replaced them all with LEDs.

I've never had any interference that I could see.

Costco has 4' LED light fixtures at ever decreasing prices. I've added one or two in the garage. In NH they work a lot better in the cold.

That is key. Waiting for a light to 'warm-up' in an unheated outbuilding is something I have little patience for. Then again, I have little patience for many things these days...

What kind of interference?

I used to use CFLs in my reloading room, but they piss me off because they buzz and have terrible CRI, so I replaced them all with LEDs.

I've never had any interference that I could see.

LED's seem to buzz as well, but it sounds more like sizzling than the fluorescent humming.

Costco has 4' LED light fixtures at ever decreasing prices. I've added one or two in the garage. In NH they work a lot better in the cold.

Costco also used to have 4' LED tubes that work in a conventional fluorescent fixture without removing the ballast and rewiring. I picked up 4 sets of them a couple of years ago and replaced all the tubes in my garage. It was a good move. They produce more light and they just work. No more cold tube startup or not issues. I can't speak on if there are any energy savings but just the fact they turn on consistently all the time, produce more light and would appear to have a longer lifespan is all the evidence I need to say it was a winning move.

Last edited:
Does anyone want some T8 fluorescent shop lights? I may be replacing 3 in the garage. Dingy lighting is the pits. Waiting for them to come on is ridiculous. Winter time is just insanity.

I've replaced a few cfls and bulbs with these in my basement.
I like them because everything that you need to mount them is in the box.
It takes about two minutes to install the light.
My wife was pleased to get more light in the laundry folding area.
I have not needed to plug one into another yet but the socket is built in for this.

Jack

FACD78FB-A277-44F6-91B6-D08831B38F65.jpeg 5A49EC53-47AD-4713-91BF-79549A51330C.jpeg 8EB73B0F-07F0-4865-A39B-A77C4B6A64C9.jpeg 18B9DC5E-5034-4AEE-BF92-34C58194A2A7.jpeg I’m just seeing this thread now. I put up new LED strips yesterday that I bought at Home Depot. Got them for free with a gift card but I think they were $25 each. Here’s some before and after pics.

What is new in LED "shop" lights? I just moved a bunch from my basement to the attic. I want to replace everything in the basement with the same kind.

I have T12, T8, T5, and several types of LED. Want LED for everything, and will put all the mongrel/mutt crap in my father in law's basement, which has 2 single incandescent 60 watt bulbs coated with spider webs.

What are you looking for? Job lot has great LED shop lights for 20 bucks each. There are adjustable ones you can change the color of the light from yellow to bright white. And you can get strips and make indirect lighting for your space.

Last edited:
What are you looking for? Job lot has great LED shop lights for 20 bucks each. There are adjustable ones you can change the color of the light from yellow to bright white. And you can get strips and make indirect lighting for your space.

That seems too good to be true. How many watts/lumen?

What is new in LED "shop" lights? I just moved a bunch from my basement to the attic. I want to replace everything in the basement with the same kind.

I have T12, T8, T5, and several types of LED. Want LED for everything, and will put all the mongrel/mutt crap in my father in law's basement, which has 2 single incandescent 60 watt bulbs coated with spider webs.
Check these out. True industrial grade products link tons of information re color temp, lumen output, distribution. Check with a local electrical supply house. Bet they have stuff they'll cut a deal on.

Those are good
LED Garage Lights 2 Pack 150W 15000LM with 8 Deformable LED Panels, Screw in E26/E27 Basement Light Ceiling LED Shop Light, Adjustable Garage Lighting for Workshop Warehouse Workbench Attic, 6500K Amazon product ASIN B092QD8CTWView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092QD8CTW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JD2R45QCKBZ736795SJJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nice, but I don't think the pullchain on my attic lights would be workable around that base.

Might just get a screw in adapter, and plug a few shop lights in to that. Ideally, would have a switch run some hard wired lights, so you can turn on the left half and the right half of the attic, or both.

Also trying to get rid of the mish mash I have in my basement, send all those to the father in law's, who, like I said, has basically nothing other than dirt encrusted windows and cobwebbed old circlite and some other crummy 60 watt pull-chain light.

At the Habitat for humanity stores they sell led shop lights
The dual four foot fixtures were $15 each six months ago
They are all new, I have 12 in one location with no failures

Back
Top Bottom