• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dealer transfer Fee?

The transfer laws are giving them business they otherwise wouldn't have. Someone buys a gun off gun broker and I make $30 in 5 min time? I'll take it! Hell I would love to get an FFL and just do transfers from 4-6pm mon wed and friday.

It's a combination of new business, customer goodwill, and cannibalization of sales that might have otherwise gone through your shop. The industry have evolved in such a manner that shops not handling transfers are generally considered "unfriendly" to the point where not handling transfers poses more risk to a shop via loss of good will than the loss of a few sales to customers who spend their money on gunbroker and the like.

I can tell you where NOT to go, LEE in Waltham charges $50, and he'd probably charge sales tax too if he could get away with it. [sad2]

Last I knew Pete's Gun Shop in Adams has been charging sales tax on transfers. Not sure if they are still trying that, I don't shop there anymore because of things like that.

Name any other business that will let you use their business license to buy a product they sell, from a supplier of your choosing, and run it through their shop. Perhaps you could go to a bike store and say "There is this bike wholesaler who will sell me a bike for considerably less than the identical model on your floor, but will only sell to a retailer. Can I pay you a nominal fee for handling the transfer through your shop?".

Or, go to a used car lot and ask if you can buy a car at Adessa and have them handle the paperwork for a transfer fee rather than wholesale to retail markup.
Don't do transfers then. My problem is I have done transfers before at this place and it was $25! If you want to charge more then tell me up front. Don't tell me when I am paying it's $25 per person. That's B.S/ They can't charge sales tax they are not selling anything. They are doing a service.

Last edited:
Don't do transfers then. My problem is I have done transfers before at this place and it was $25! If you want to charge more then tell me up front. Don't tell me when I am paying it's $25 per person. That's B.S/ They can't charge sales tax they are not selling anything. They are doing a service.

I bought a G23 off another NES'r back in 2007 and he had the "RAT" do the transfer. The "RAT" charged him sales tax on the $25.00 transfer fee (a service . . . which is not taxable)! Dealers can do anything they want, until they get caught (if illegal act) or lose enough business to rethink their policies.

This is true however look at it the other way. The transfer laws are giving them business they otherwise wouldn't have. Someone buys a gun off gun broker and I make $30 in 5 min time? I'll take it! Hell I would love to get an FFL and just do transfers from 4-6pm mon wed and friday.

You are full of it!!! You do not know what you are talking about!!

I did charge $50 for transfers and even went higher and it is not worth the money.

I've stopped doing transfers but except very good clients and for guns I do not sell.

Fred

Last edited:
I witnessed a transfer @ HTP in Weymouth last week. It took about 1/2 hour and the gentleman also spent about $70-$80 on ammo and other stuff. My buddy will return there for more business because everything went smoothly without surprises.

I don't understand the $40 new versus the $25 used.

This was the 2nd time I was there when a transfer was taking place; the first time a second firearm was purchased (for $650), @ the time of the transfer.

My guess is that gun shops with a decent supply of reasonably priced guns and related stuff along with the willingness and manpower will do well with transfers. Returning business requires no more advertising, just keep doing things right and we'll be back

Rich

Back
Top Bottom