• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dealer websites

Since there's differerent licenses in Massachusetts, it would be of great help if the gun shops list what minimal-license is required for each firearm they sells.

Too many people (w/FID or LTC-B) that I send to check out websites, only for them to come back to me saying, they don't know which item on the site they can purchase under their license.
Unless the store owner wants to spend his/her time of the day answering that question on the phone (?)

I know LTC-B is confusing but with and FID you should know what you can and can't buy

I suspect that most gun shops don't have a very large profit margin and that their owners are already working 60+ hour weeks. There is only so many hours in a day and so much money in the till.

I suspect that most gun shops don't have a very large profit margin and that their owners are already working 60+ hour weeks. There is only so many hours in a day and so much money in the till.

I had thought about a service that would come in periodically to update the site for them (inventory, sales, etc.). If someone does it on the side, maybe there are deals to be worked out. If I had any skill, I'd take some stuff in trade. But alas, I have no skills.

I had thought about a service that would come in periodically to update the site for them (inventory, sales, etc.). If someone does it on the side, maybe there are deals to be worked out. If I had any skill, I'd take some stuff in trade. But alas, I have no skills.

But with the used inventory changing so quickly, I'm not sure how useful that would be.

If a system was done right, removing inventory could be as quick as a 30-40 seconds of extra time per transaction.

As far as adding inventory, I am not well informed enough to know how much stock one shop will get in at any one time or another to give an estimate on what it would take to keep an up to the minute accuracy of incoming shipments. But building a semi-smart system that will keep track of what you have had on hand previously and allow you to just +1 it back into stock would be simple as well to at least make that part easier.

Anyways it is just a thought, I've been wanting to combine my two interests (web development and firearms) since I got into this, but if the mindset is generally that it's not useful to keep inventory and pricing on the internet (my counter to this is that everyone here seems to love going to fsguns.com, but maybe that's just because of their pricing) then I can probably spend my time dreaming up sites for other small retail spaces.

If a system was done right, removing inventory could be as quick as a 30-40 seconds of extra time per transaction.

As far as adding inventory, I am not well informed enough to know how much stock one shop will get in at any one time or another to give an estimate on what it would take to keep an up to the minute accuracy of incoming shipments. But building a semi-smart system that will keep track of what you have had on hand previously and allow you to just +1 it back into stock would be simple as well to at least make that part easier.

Anyways it is just a thought, I've been wanting to combine my two interests (web development and firearms) since I got into this, but if the mindset is generally that it's not useful to keep inventory and pricing on the internet (my counter to this is that everyone here seems to love going to fsguns.com, but maybe that's just because of their pricing) then I can probably spend my time dreaming up sites for other small retail spaces.

I'm a firm believer that every store should have a website. I'm less apt to drive half an hour each way to see what's in stock than I am to check a website. I understand there are cost and PITA issues, but maybe some website designer nerd could provide a convincing argument. Maybe that person could offer his/her services for cheap/free for a month or two to show how increased web traffic relates to increased store traffic. It's hard to argue with numbers.

Of course, the flip side is that local shops aren't competing with online dealers for firearm sales.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom