Deals and steals

Is it 6.95 for 12 candles or 12 candles that will burn for a total of 100 hours?
Says each 100 hour candle. so I’m guessing there’s 12 candles at 100 hours each.

The 100-Hour Candle twelve pack is a cost-effective, efficient light source for emergency and survival applications. Each 100-Hour Candle is clean-burning, odorless and smokeless, making it a safer choice for indoor use. It features a proprietary blend of paraffin and other liquids to maximize the life, light and warmth of the candle. Shatterproof container is lightweight, yet designed for stability. Simply replace the cap for easy storage and transport.

Amazon has the Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24x50 FFP on sale for $320 right now. That's $100 less than Midway and others, and the lowest it's been on Amazon in years. It has a lot of features for the money: illuminated reticle, exposed turrets with zero stop, side focus parallax from 10 yards to infinity. It also consistently gets great reviews. I've had good luck with Ahlon in the past, so I'm in for this one at this price.

As of Saturday morning, the price has gone up to $350. Still the lowest you'll be able to find this particular model, but not quite as much of a steel as it was a few days ago!

Argos.png

Last edited:
Amazon has the Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24x50 FFP on sale for $320 right now. That's $100 less than Midway and others, and the lowest it's been on Amazon in years. It has a lot of features for the money: illuminated reticle, exposed turrets with zero stop, side focus parallax from 10 yards to infinity. It also consistently gets great reviews. I've had good luck with Ahlon in the past, so I'm in for this one at this price.

View attachment 609366

price is indeed good, and buying from amazon is good as you can swap/return it if you get a lemon. and they - athlons - do have lemons.
glass is so-so, on the level of vortex diamondback, or bit under. not even close to an arken.

Back in 99, there was a guy on the JR Cigars BB (yes, JR Cigars had an active online community back then. Back when Lew Rothman ran the place. Their catalogs were the stuff of infamy. Think J Peterman for cigars. LOL)

Anyhow, one guy was a SERIOUS prepper. Like, he might have been just a hoarder that disguised himself as a Y2K prepper.

One of his good ideas - which I followed - was to go to the craphole stores (like Christmas Tree and such) and get discount candles.

I took him up on that idea around that time. I've got candles coming out my ears, no pun intended. Now, we don't lose power a lot. But I have a ton of candles and I think I paid $20 for the lot of them. All fairly small. None scented. Larger-than-votive sized. Maybe a 2-night or 3-night candle. But I have hundreds of them.

Candles don't go bad. Just don't let them melt in the summer heat. Look around for sales and closeouts in odd stores. THey'll turn up.

He also would steal/take any travel sewing kits he could get. Each one had a needle and several kinds of thread. He had hundreds, if not thousands of them. As I said, he was a hoarder. LOL
I miss Lew and his stories.

30 cents a round, best I’ve seen recently

This is good stuff. It's only a 138PF so it's not loaded hot like some of the NATO stuff for sale lately too. I bought a few cases pre-pandemic and it runs well in everything I've put it through.

Remember Amazon often uses algorithms to offer different deals to each customer based on your history.
Different products maybe, but pricing on an item when it was specifically searched for? I know different vendors have different pricing on items but Amazon Prime is supposed to show the lowest price and price match if there is a lower one. Also that was 'Amazon's Choice" which should be the same for anyone viewing it.

If I could have sent them the two screen shots I would have but their customer service A I responses just give you the same run around of useless information.

I'll let them respond and maybe find out why. I wasn't buying the vise, just curious as to why it came up at a 30% higher price within a minute or two of another person pulling it up.

Last edited:
Different products maybe, but pricing on an item when it was specifically searched for? I know different vendors have different pricing on items but Amazon Prime is supposed to show the lowest price and price match if there is a lower one. Also that was 'Amazon's Choice" which should be the same for anyone viewing it.

If I could have sent them the two screen shots I would have but their customer service A I responses just give you the same run around of useless information.

I'll let them respond and maybe find out why. I wasn't buying the vise, just curious as to why it came up at a 30% higher price within a minute or two of another person pulling it up.

I hear you. I would have thought not but I’ve had it happen to me a few times now when I asked a buddy what he thought of a “deal” and he and I got different prices. Once, it happened while standing next to each other.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that occasionally, if I go back to an item more than 2 times, by the third or fourth visit, the price drops a little. However, if I don’t buy it then, it goes back to the regular price.

Some amount of what I’m observing is likely concomitant and not causal, but not all of it. Also this is my “lived experience” and if you don’t believe it you’re racist. It’s fact. So there’s that.

I hear you. I would have thought not but I’ve had it happen to me a few times now when I asked a buddy what he thought of a “deal” and he and I got different prices. Once, it happened while standing next to each other.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that occasionally, if I go back to an item more than 2 times, by the third or fourth visit, the price drops a little. However, if I don’t buy it then, it goes back to the regular price.

Some amount of what I’m observing is likely concomitant and not causal, but not all of it. Also this is my “lived experience” and if you don’t believe it you’re racist. It’s fact. So there’s that.
IIRC Amazon at one time was offering some sort of handyman service. A guy was explaining how Amazon set the rates based on zip codes. Wealthier people in particular zip codes paid more for a service. Maybe they do the same with buying shit on their site?

I miss Lew and his stories.

I think his best 2 were his scorpion story and climbing Kiliamanjaro. I think the former was prep for hte latter and the latter was at least 2 if not 3 catalogs of stories. LOL

Showing up as 160 for me, too. I don't need one, though, so not about to ask them why...
Showing up as unavailable. LOL. You people have a vice vice. ;)

Back
Top Bottom