Deals and steals

I’ve been using this one for the last few years. Works great. I don’t have a C-wire so I have to run batteries
I bought this one using the MassSave program. I then bought some 24V transformers to plug them in as I don't have a C wire. I kept my old ones in case I want to switch back. My total cost was about $50 for 3 thermostats to get them running.

My old ones were the 5+2 programmable, but clicking through all the buttons to change the program meant I rarely did. The setup on the Sensi app is very easy and flexible. The wi-fi control is the big winner, though, since it allows me to change the heat as needed. I find I use less heat since I can simply turn it off if I won't be home or will be home late. It provides decent reports about usage so you can see if one particular zone is running a lot.

I don't have cooling, so I'm not worried about them shutting that off. They do have the voluntary program on cooling where the utility can increase the temperature on high use days. I think they can up it to 78, but you have to have cooling and you have to sign up for that.

Overall, it was a great deal for me as it allowed me to get some extra features at a very low cost.

Smart thermostats draw more power than traditional designs. The easiest way to do this is to scavenge it from the 24 Vac system that carries your control signal.

In heat only systems, it's common to find a two wire control design - usually red and white (R-W). These systems often don't have both sides of your AC circuit because it wasn't needed previously.

The most correct solution would be to replace the wiring with a 3-wire cable ( R-W-C, where C is "common" and often blue). Most people don't want to pull wires through their walls, so the alternative is to pull your W wire down to the opposite pole from your R wire.

So I have a thermostat with just 2 wires, controls the heat, no AC. Can this be used to control via WiFi, or do I need that 3rd wire?

So I have a thermostat with just 2 wires, controls the heat, no AC. Can this be used to control via WiFi, or do I need that 3rd wire?
i have older sensi thermostats for who knows how many years now, it is controlled via cloud based app via wifi - so that needs an wi-fi connection working, for the schedule to work.
if you are paranoid enough, you can setup it on wifi, upload schedule into it, then disconnect from wifi - and it will keep that schedule indefinitely. not sure why to be paranoid, as there is no real outside control of your thermostats from what i am aware of, but, to each their own.

i have older sensi thermostats for who knows how many years now, it is controlled via cloud based app via wifi - so that needs an wi-fi connection working, for the schedule to work.
if you are paranoid enough, you can setup it on wifi, upload schedule into it, then disconnect from wifi - and it will keep that schedule indefinitely. not sure why to be paranoid, as there is no real outside control of your thermostats from what i am aware of, but, to each their own.

Thanks. So the c-wire people are talking about is for the AC?

Looks like I can't order it because I don't have any of those utilities, I have town power. GF will order it for me because she needs one so her kid doesn't crank up the heat to 80 in the basement for the 18 hour gaming/masterbation sessions.

Thanks. So the c-wire people are talking about is for the AC?

Looks like I can't order it because I don't have any of those utilities, I have town power. GF will order it for me because she needs one so her kid doesn't crank up the heat to 80 in the basement for the 18 hour gaming/masterbation sessions.
The “C” wire is just constant power 24volts… Most of the new App/WiFi T-Stats need a constant power.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!~

I got these.

These things are 5 1/2 inches overall. They are pretty tiny. I would not be throwing them on an outside course/range. They might get lost behind a blade of grass. They will go good with my miniature army shovels (entrenching tools) I got another time. Those were OK, as the kids could use them at the beach. Or the miniature "pint glasses" that were actually the size of shot glasses

Maybe these knives will make nice sandwich spears.

Last edited:
I got the same thing, except cheap generic brand. Works extremely well. The downside is you can't wirelessly charge through it.
They actually have a wireless charging one it’s a little different also not on their black Friday special.

20% off Chin Mounts

I use this guy's mounts for my GoPro. He 3D prints them and goes on the chin and perfectly contoured and helmet specific, mounting a camera on the chin is the best at really capturing what it's like when you are the rider IMO

Chin Mounts | Best Motorcycle Helmet Mounts
So it does a really good POV video is what your saying?

That unit has a battery I think, so I can still use it?
Depends on the design. Most will work on battery. Some will eat up batteries super quickly if you do that. If you only have a two wire system, you'll need an adapter if the unit you bought doesn't like running just on batteries. The adapter is easy enough to install.

VLTOR MUR upper receiver for $165.

So no deals, just thermostat school eh?
I would use an everyday thermostat like this :
set thermo at 68 during day if home,
drop to 63 or 64 at night, or if not home
repeat, no need to have programmable or remote access.
heat comes up fast when needed, never down low enough to freeze pipes.
so WHY ?

I would use an everyday thermostat like this :
set thermo at 68 during day if home,
drop to 63 or 64 at night, or if not home
repeat, no need to have programmable or remote access.
heat comes up fast when needed, never down low enough to freeze pipes.
so WHY ?

Must not be married or have kids.

70 is the daytime setting. 74 for night time.

Wife works from home. At 70 she complains that it’s cold. Complains about the fan I put on at night too.

Yeesh. 68 day/ 65 nite.
At 70 /74 I'd be nekkid and outside alot. Might bump it up if the wife says she's cold. That usually means tired tho.

At 70/74 I don’t have to peel of 7 layers to get to my wife, which I like. I enjoy seeing my wife walk around in less clothes, not more.

Back
Top Bottom