Deceased person's firearms

Can the person who has control of the deceased's firearms transfer them by way of inheritance to himself and others?
Can they all be transferred at once? Is there a limit?

Thanks

"Inheritance" requires a Will with direction on what is to become of the property. Family or even the Personal Representative are not free to dispose of assets "as they like". If someone doesn't leave a Will, the state they died in has laws that dictate the disposition of personal property.

"Inheritance" requires a Will with direction on what is to become of the property. Family or even the Personal Representative are not free to dispose of assets "as they like". If someone doesn't leave a Will, the state they died in has laws that dictate the disposition of personal property.

^This. The person who "has control" of them is not the owner of them now. They belong to the estate until the estate is settled.

It looks like they removed the link, but here is what I found with google and then on the Wayback machine

following. My best friends dad had an LTC and a couple pistols. He died like 5 years ago. Since he was married all his property goes to his wife. Im not even sure she knows the guns are there. No idea how theyd handle a transfer since shes not licensed.

said it before, in a couple of threads, look into "gun trust".

Seeing an attorney Wednesday to update my will, living will and power of attorney.
Taking existing gun trust to make sure it's referred to as/if necessary in my will.

^This. The person who "has control" of them is not the owner of them now. They belong to the estate until the estate is settled.
^This. If the person holding them takes it upon themself to "dispose" of them without authority to do so and someone complains, they could face felony charges of grand larceny.

^This. If the person holding them takes it upon themself to "dispose" of them without authority to do so and someone complains, they could face felony charges of grand larceny.

I don't know why people seem to think that when someone dies, its 'finders-keepers' when it comes to their guns. Might as well take their bank account contents and car while you're at it.

What if you have granted a person power of attorney or appointed someone in your will, or executor, to dispose of your remaining property?

What if you have granted a person power of attorney or appointed someone in your will, or executor, to dispose of your remaining property?
Power of attorney dies when the person dies. Appointing someone means that they are to carry out the wishes (that were in writing) in the Will or follow state law for intestate deceased. Doesn't give them a license to "do what they want" with the assets. They are accountable to the probate court and if they screw up, they can face criminal charges.

following. My best friends dad had an LTC and a couple pistols. He died like 5 years ago. Since he was married all his property goes to his wife. Im not even sure she knows the guns are there. No idea how theyd handle a transfer since shes not licensed.

A licensed gun owner brings her and the guns to a FFL and the FFL does the transfer. Pretty straight forward.

Bob

My nephew knows, that if anything happens to me, He and his dad, are to grab my guns and ammo right away. They are on permanent loan then. Some are marked "never sell".

The problem with this, quite seriously, is that your nephew knows - the state doesn't.

I have a living will, power of attorney, will and a gun trust.
Because I don't want agents of the state, (or local or federal), making decisions in the event that I'm not capable of making those decisions.

If they were married and he died, isn't she the sole owner of the estate?

If that is the case, aren't any firearms hers to dispose of as she sees fit?

In that case, we have the MA problem of ownership and legal possession being two different things, but in any other state, she could just sell or give them away. In MA though, since she doesn't have an LTC or FID, she would have to have someone with those credentials take possession, take them to a dealer, and have the dealer do the transfer, right (I am assuming she is along for the ride for the whole thing just to keep the owner/possessor thing happy)?

I can see the case where we have an executor of an estate trying to handle things as they are not the owner, but again, if following a will an liquidating an estate, wouldn't the same sort of thing apply? Someone who can legally possess the firearms and the executor go to a FFL and sell them?

Back
Top Bottom