• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dedicated Waterfowl Shotgun

I’ve been bit by the waterfowl bug hard. I still really enjoy upland, and deer hunting, there’s just something about waterfowl that gets me all jazzed up. So with that being said I’m looking for a reliable, budget friendly dedicated waterfowl gun. Must have a 3 1/2” chamber and be a semi. While I’d absolutely love a Browning Maxus II or A5 in vintage camo, it’s just out of my budget right now.

I’ve been looking at the Tristar Viper MAX.

Anyone have experience with Tristar? The shop I like to frequent has a ton of different Tri Star on the shelf and says he sells a lot of them with few complaints. I know Turkish shotguns can be hit or miss, so I’d like to get first hand experience.

Thanks

I hang on to old wood and metal. But everyone who I know and has got real knowledge experience run Bennelli or cheaper but just as effective Franchi.

Look hard at the Remmy 1187 or 1100. Solid guns for that type of terrain and abuse.

Don't need 3.5". It's just marginally more pellets out for a significant $ overall for gun and shells. I got rid of the 3.5 chambered shotties and use 3" heavy.

I bought a Tristar Viper G2 Youth in 20G for my son last spring.
He's got about 400-500 rds. though it without a hiccup.
Thing came with 3 chokes and even had shims to adjust the stock if needed. Not a bad deal

If I was looking for a 12G on a budget then it certainly be on my list but I'd still try and find a used Berretta if I could.

I’m running a Stoeger for waterfowl. Haven’t had any issues, pushing 10 years now. Inertia operating system like the Benelli, so recoil is a little more than a gas gun. 3” shells are fine unless you want to do some long range goose shooting.

My crazy duck hunting buddies all run Benelli's because of the weather resistance. Duck guns get wet, muddy and freaking dirty compared to their upland friends. My Super Black Eagle has a chrom lined barrel and ran great the couple of times I've gone. I'll admit, lying there in the mud and swamp waiting for ducks is not my thing and I'll agree with an earler comment on 3.5 inch shell knocking the hell out of you. It took about a dozen #4, 3.5 inch shells to knock a cap loose off my back molar....

At Battlehawk Armory

Look at the Impala Plus inertia driven......

Impala Plus Nero (all black) is $370
Impala PLus Camo is like $450ish

I've seen these guns run at my club. 4 different guys have them and they have never not functioned during a round of skeet with low power shells.

If I was in the market for a duck gun, or semi auto for that matter that's what I'd buy.

I've been using a Stoger M3000 for the past 5 years and it's been a wonderful experience. My son is using a Weatherby SA-08 20 gage and it's pretty awesome as well.

While I can't comment on the Tri Star semis, I have their 28 ga O/U Setter and it's been flawless. I have shot a metric sh!t-ton of birds with it and zero problems. Wasn't sure if I'd stick with 28ga and at the time this one was $200 cheaper and kinda a no-brainer to take a peek at 28 ga hunting. I've kept it and have no need to ever 'upgrade' it.

Ended up getting the Tri Star. I searched for a Beretta and a Benelli, and the Franchi was close to the price of the Browning I’m listing after, so what would have been the point.

I didn’t do too bad though. Got the Tri Star for $675.

Initial impression, I’m impressed. Quality fit, finish, and materials. I like the magazine cut off, and the fact that it uses Benelli Mobil chokes. I have a full set of extended Carlsons I can use.

And the attention to detail is nice. The magazine follower is a nice bright color, instead of the standard black. Guess it doesn’t take much to make me happy.

I will say I’m not a fan of the weight at 7.5lbs. But I may just be spoiled by how light my CZ 1012 is. I also don’t care that Tri Star calls for and “break in” period, tells you to shoot 50rnds of “high velocity” ammo. That stuff ain’t cheap!

I’ll update I’ve I’ve gone through the “break in”, had it out for some skeet, and hunting.

Ended up getting the Tri Star. I searched for a Beretta and a Benelli, and the Franchi was close to the price of the Browning I’m listing after, so what would have been the point.

Initial impression, I’m impressed. Quality fit, finish, and materials. I like the magazine cut off, and the fact that it uses Benelli Mobil chokes. I have a full set of extended Carlsons I can use.

And the attention to detail is nice. The magazine follower is a nice bright color, instead of the standard black. Guess it doesn’t take much to make me happy.

I will say I’m not a fan of the weight at 7.5lbs. But I may just be spoiled by how light my CZ 1012 is. I also don’t care that Tri Star calls for and “break in” period, tells you to shoot 50rnds of “high velocity” ammo. That stuff ain’t cheap!

I’ll update I’ve I’ve gone through the “break in”, had it out for some skeet, and hunting.
Looking forward to your follow up review. While I'm not that familiar with semi and pump TriStars, I know the O/U's. Their heft comes from the solidly built steel receivers in that case.

I also don’t care that Tri Star calls for and “break in” period, tells you to shoot 50rnds of “high velocity” ammo. That stuff ain’t cheap!

A couple box's of magnum duck loads will break it in just fine

Looking forward to your follow up review. While I'm not that familiar with semi and pump TriStars, I know the O/U's. Their heft comes from the solidly built steel receivers in that case.
I've had 20 and 28 gauge Tri stars semi autos. Very good guns as well. They run fairly well with moderate loads. Light loads can be an issue (Herters). But decent guns as long as you keep the gas area clean.

Just get the beretta xtreme plus and be done. I tried to do the budget route. Always ends up costing more.
Not necessarily these days with the Turkish guns that are out there. Impala plus and Tri stars Ive seen run better than some Berettas. In fact, out of 4 guys that have Impala plus guns at my club, I have yet to see one of those guns not function.

I've seen many Berettas not throw shells.

Congrats on the Tristar, and agree is a little heavier, but runs pretty true. I have a SBE3 in 20 gauge and a Franchi Affinity3 12 gauge for waterfowl. If anyone is looking for the reliability of a Benelli but doesn't want as high of a ticket price, can't say enough great things about the Franchi. Got mine for a grand less than the Benelli, shoots just as well and as reliable as the SBE3.

Good luck with the new blaster. I've never heard of Tri-star, please report back after a few trips in the crappy weather for an AAR.

I broke mine in with a few boxes of 12g 3in buckshot. If that doesn’t smooth out any burrs, I don’t know what will. Weight is a good thing for a waterfowl shotgun, soaks up the recoil of heavy duck loads.

Back
Top Bottom