• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer Peocessors in the South Coast Area (New Bedford Area)

I know... Maybe butchers don't like money... This time of year they could have a huge farkin rake... I've seen youtube videos of pros doing it in under 15 minutes. The processors I use get at least a 100 beans to cut a deer. That's like 400 bucks an hour! And people don't want that... WTF??? Or even half that if they're slower?

I always had someone do it for about the same price youre talking. The problem we had was getting one done in the middle of winter when all the guys who do it are done for the year and have everything put away. Every once in a while, I'll get a roadkill from local pd and no place to bring it to get it done. My daughter and I watched step by step videos and tried it ourselves. Again, this is during cold weather so its not much problem keeping the meat cold. We had one skinned and quartered in a little longer than an hr. (1st time) Getting the cuts of meat isn't too hard. We boned everything out so no saw was used. Sharp knives are really nice to have. We did this in the middle of the kitchen floor with a plastic dropcloth under the quarters. (divorced so no wife to yell at us) We spaced it out over a couple nights keeping the remainder in the fridge. Since we don't have a grinder, we ended with a lot of stew meat and other pieces to use as kabobs on the grill. For the most part things came out pretty well. It was a good experience and we will do it again to save money. It may not look as nice in the package but it tastes the same. If you have your own place with a shed to hang it in, try it. It's a good feeling to know you accomplished it.

After many years of slicing up big cuts from BJ's and such, I think if I actually WENT deer-hunting and got one, I could do the butchering myself. Maybe a few looks online to double check my cuts and such. I used to be grossed out by any sort of animal things. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

I always had someone do it for about the same price youre talking. The problem we had was getting one done in the middle of winter when all the guys who do it are done for the year and have everything put away. Every once in a while, I'll get a roadkill from local pd and no place to bring it to get it done. My daughter and I watched step by step videos and tried it ourselves. Again, this is during cold weather so its not much problem keeping the meat cold. We had one skinned and quartered in a little longer than an hr. (1st time) Getting the cuts of meat isn't too hard. We boned everything out so no saw was used. Sharp knives are really nice to have. We did this in the middle of the kitchen floor with a plastic dropcloth under the quarters. (divorced so no wife to yell at us) We spaced it out over a couple nights keeping the remainder in the fridge. Since we don't have a grinder, we ended with a lot of stew meat and other pieces to use as kabobs on the grill. For the most part things came out pretty well. It was a good experience and we will do it again to save money. It may not look as nice in the package but it tastes the same. If you have your own place with a shed to hang it in, try it. It's a good feeling to know you accomplished it.

I've done it before. I just prefer a pro and not spending the time. The time it takes me is worth way more than the hundred or so bucks to me.

Does anyone know of a place near Attleboro that will rent out cooler space to hang/age a deer (but not process it)? I want to do the processing.

If I get a deer in early archery season, it will likely be too warm to hang in my garage.

Thanks!

You can check with Produce Barn in Norton. But I'd assume they want to process it if they are hanging it.

Back
Top Bottom