• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer scent ?

Anyone use a deer scent to attract deer to your blind or stand? If so what did you use that worked for the early season.?

I use doe urine in mock scrapes. I also rub a bit on the soles of my boots for the trip to and from my stand. My last buck was busy sniffing and pawing at my mock scrape when my 12 gauge sabot dropped him.

Ive used it as a cover scent more or less. Usually straight doe urine. Not Rut doe urine. I'll put it on my boots walking to the stand. Put it in a container with Q tips cut in half then throw them in a 360 degree circle around your stand. Basically trying to create a cover area. Sometimes the deer will stop and follow it getting you a bow shot. Best pre and during rut.

Remember, a doe in rut scent to a doe means they don't want to be anywhere around it during rut because they then have the chance of being severely harrassed by a buck......so they tend to leave the area. Because at that time, most of the does not in heat are avoiding bucks at all costs.

I have had very little positive results with scent. As with anything for “cover” if they can smell the cover they can smell you as well. I have had a little success putting it out in an area i have a clean shot and have had some stop and sniff it long enough for a shot. I still use scents but after decades really cant point to many successes i attribute to scents specifically. Just an opinion.

I don’t/rarely use them. I have had a mixed bag of results:

I had one young buck hit the scent stream and he came trotting in.

I have watched does hit the scent stream and turn around going back the way they came. Don’t use a doe in estrus scent if you are willing to fill a doe tag. Does don't want to be harassed by a randy buck if they aren’t in heat.

Many hunters don’t really know how to use them and use them improperly educating the deer. This is probably the biggest issue.

Hunters handle the scent bombs with bare hands, put them out too early and too late and then there are the scents themselves.

A lot of scents are a blends from multiple deer and what ever other contaminants get into the urine.

If you are going to use scents stay away from the stuff from the big box stores and go with something from a farm that isn’t common and from a single deer.

Bob

Natural = Y
Synthetic = N

I have used doe in heat and tinks during the rut and have found it effective. New problem is that some states are banning the use of natural lure, due to fear it could spread CWD. This has prompted the development and sale of synthetic deer lure. I'm not a wildlife biologist / scientist, but I'm convinced that they can't produce something as effective as the natural product. It seems they are trying to offset millions of years of evolution in an animal that has a sense of smell about ~10,000 times that of humans. According to whitetail101, the deer's long nose has 297 million olfactory receptors, humans about 5 million.
The less you can do to alert / tip a deer off, the better.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom