• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer skin on or off for aging 5-7 days?

DJBrad

NES Member
I hung the beast up yesterday evening with the hide on. I was thinking to keep the hide on for the aging time before butchering in my cool basement.

From what I read there is varying opinion on this matter. I’m just lookin at slicing up the best meat possible. I plan on using every bit I can to make sausage and deer smokies too. I will rinse the inside with cold water tomorrow to remove any small debris or hair.

Since the humidity is lower I’d prefer not to age it without the hide since it is “outside” in my garage. It’s about low 30’s in there pretty consistently. Liquid doesn’t ever freeze in there unless we see single digits or lower.

What do you guys do for aging/hanging in the cold winter months if using the outdoors, shed, or garage? I if I had a walk-in cooler of course I would probably skin it as humidity can be controlled easier.

I hang them in my shed. For the most part I have not been able to just let them hang skin on or off for 5-7 days as the temps are generally too variable where I am, any warm (above 40) and I won't let it hang. I consider myself lucky if I can get 2-3 days hanging, usually skin on. Then I get it skinned and into a large ice chest with 2 liter pop bottles frozen to keep it cold. I don't want ice that will melt and get the meat wet.

Aging with the skin off is how I do it most of the time though, especially in the early parts of the season. The downside is you will lose some to drying out and it will need to be trimmed when butchering.

Oh and if you haven't taken the internal tenderloins out, I'd do that ASAP, they aren't that big and dry out real fast.

I hang them in my shed. For the most part I have not been able to just let them hang skin on or off for 5-7 days as the temps are generally too variable where I am, any warm (above 40) and I won't let it hang. I consider myself lucky if I can get 2-3 days hanging, usually skin on. Then I get it skinned and into a large ice chest with 2 liter pop bottles frozen to keep it cold. I don't want ice that will melt and get the meat wet.

Aging with the skin off is how I do it most of the time though, especially in the early parts of the season. The downside is you will lose some to drying out and it will need to be trimmed when butchering.

Oh and if you haven't taken the internal tenderloins out, I'd do that ASAP, they aren't that big and dry out real fast.
Tenderloins out already!

Last edited:
A fresh hide is easier to pull off... special note: Don't let the deer freeze before you try to skin it! TRUST ME! :mad:

...and yes, trying to age it outside for a week is tough...the weather usually will not cooperate in Mass...

Skin fast, chill fast. Fur is full of ticks, eliminate it in the woods if possible. Aging venison just means that the fat goes rancid if warm and taints the meat. I have checked deer at the station, skun it and cooled it in clean water brooks and then quartered and either butchered or cut into sections and frozen it as soon as possible. I have had professional chefs ask me how I prepared newly killed deer because it was the freshest and best tasting venison they have ever had. Hanging skinned meat in a cold environment after it has been killed and then rapidly, quartered and sectioned in a sanitized dry aging location is acceptable. Hanging a wild deer in a shed in questionable over freezing temperatures with flies and ticks is dumb.

YMMV it's only an opinion.

Age with skin on. If your in north central weather will be good to hang for the next week. Just dont let it freeze. If your in a garage or shed itll be fine.

deer ticks and keds are dormant below 35 degrees they just sit there and eventually die. No worries about them. Keep meat clean and dry. Water can breed bacteria.

Never really saw the need to age. Usually a day or two and I have it cut up.
As others said clean it out good in the field. Don’t let it freeze up or it is a bitch to skin out. Take your time skinning and get somebody to help much easier with 2 people and try to keep hair off the meat.
Also if you are going to grind burger I have been using a fatty pork butt and mixing it with one handful of venison to one handful of pork and double grinding comes out good.

Age with skin on. If your in north central weather will be good to hang for the next week. Just dont let it freeze. If your in a garage or shed itll be fine.

deer ticks and keds are dormant below 35 degrees they just sit there and eventually die. No worries about them. Keep meat clean and dry. Water can breed bacteria.
Temps look dandy until next Sunday. 20’s-30’s every day. It’s about 35 in my garage right now. I think Fri/Sat skin and process sounds good.

i love how different we can be, and habits are hard to break. age it or don't age it, whatever works for you. I've done both, and for me, i prefer aging it, no matter how dumb it seems to some people. and i too have had many people ask why my venison tastes so good.

Temps look dandy until next Sunday. 20’s-30’s every day. It’s about 35 in my garage right now. I think Fri/Sat skin and process sounds good.

Thats what I do when weather is good to hang. I think it helps the quality of the meat a bit. Not huge amount though. Killing game cleanly, keeping meat clean and cooling it quickly is most important. Even leaving a large deer in a truck overnight in 20 degree weather can cause the rear ham facing the truck bed to bone sour as it doesnt cool. Split the hams and widen them out to cool. The larger the deer the more you should get the hams apart. Its the thickest part

True dry aging is a whole different process. Hanging deer a week has nothing related to that. Although I think it does let the muscle tissue relax a bit.

Last edited:
i love how different we can be, and habits are hard to break. age it or don't age it, whatever works for you. I've done both, and for me, i prefer aging it, no matter how dumb it seems to some people. and i too have had many people ask why my venison tastes so good.

Most people overcook venison. Then wonder why it tastes like shit. People that marinate it a bit and cook less than medium rare always get good reviews for their venison.

People that want me to cook them a venison steak well done, I tell them im not wasting my venison. Ill cook you something else.

Unless its really been mishandled,like bone sour, freezer burnt, or piss sack or guts got into the meat

Most people overcook venison. Then wonder why it tastes like shit. People that marinate it a bit and cook less than medium rare always get good reviews for their venison.
never once marinated beef nor venison, unless i was making jerky, and even then i try not to over marinate the venison, so the venison taste is masked.

People that want me to cook them a venison steak well done, I tell them im not wasting my venison. Ill cook you something else.

Unless its really been mishandled,like bone sour, freezer burnt, or piss sack or guts got into the meat

This.

Over the years I’ve had to apply common sense. It goes well when exercised. I like the permethrin idea.

I took a close look today and found that accutip sabot obliterated her T12/L1 interspace literally separating her lower spine anteriorly. Those sabots go through with some force.

The unfortunate outcome is some damaged backstraps.

The deer I shot yesterday is cut up and in the freezer today. With temps varying above and below freezing overnight and during the day, you don't want it freezing and thawing repetitively. That's what it would do in my garage. I've let them hang for a few days when the weather was more consistent. My butcher does the same on the deer I have him cut for me. But I've never noticed a difference.

I do like to hang them by the head or front legs so any blood or fluid can drain from the cavity though. Or cut the throat (assume not getting a mount)

Last edited:
Over the years I’ve had to apply common sense. It goes well when exercised. I like the permethrin idea.

I took a close look today and found that accutip sabot obliterated her T12/L1 interspace literally separating her lower spine anteriorly. Those sabots go through with some force.

The unfortunate outcome is some damaged backstraps.

Bullets do a lot of damage. That is part of the beauty of archery. There is no meat loss from the shot (comparatively) I have put an arrow through a bucks heart and eaten it the next day.

I also want to mention the glands/lymph nodes in the hind quarter. If you have never done a deer before you should know about it. You will cut it out automatically if you process your deer bonelessly but it’s best not to cut the gland as you don’t want that on your knife as the contents will transfer to the meat and it will effect the flavor.

If you do get it on your knife Clean it really well before continuing with the butchering.

This video shows what I am talking about:

Bob

Bullets do a lot of damage. That is part of the beauty of archery. There is no meat loss from the shot (comparatively) I have put an arrow through a bucks heart and eaten it the next day.

I also want to mention the glands/lymph nodes in the hind quarter. If you have never done a deer before you should know about it. You will cut it out automatically if you process your deer bonelessly but it’s best not to cut the gland as you don’t want that on your knife as the contents will transfer to the meat and it will effect the flavor.

If you do get it on your knife Clean it really well before continuing with the butchering.

This video shows what I am talking about:

Bob

Tarsal glands. Thanks Bob as that was the exact video I was looking for when I first heard about it from the bearded butchers. I’ve meticulously removed them from squirrels this past season as well.

The deer I shot yesterday is cut up and in the freezer today. With temps varying above and below freezing overnight and during the day, you don't want it freezing and thawing repetitively. That's what it would do in my garage. I've let them hang for a few days when the weather was more consistent. My butcher does the same on the deer I have him cut for me. But I've never noticed a difference.

I do like to hang them by the head or front legs so any blood or fluid can drain from the cavity though. Or cut the throat (assume not getting a mount)

Im hanging a big buck from CT, already quartered up hung quarters in meat bags in my garage. We will cut up tonight

Temps day hits 40, night has been high teens to mid 20s.

Back part of garage is staying a consistent 35-38 degrees.

If I hang from back legs I usually cut throat and a slice on both sides of shoulders to drain. It really is better to hang by the head though.

Just make sure water from the snow you put in there doesnt collect near the neck/chest intersection. Or turn upside down and hang from the head.
If you look close I had given her a “wide smile” beneath the chin.

Just saw this post now and I would do the same if I was on the South shore. In central/north we have had an excellent and stable temp which will drop a bit tonight and through tomorrow. I will spend the day tomorrow to skin and then finish her up. First things I did when she hung was 1.Cut the neck wide and 2.Remove the tenderloins. I also poured a gallon of cold distilled water down the entire cavity to rinse.

Back
Top Bottom