• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer & Snow

MaverickNH

NES Member
I'm pretty new at deer hunting, so wondering what folks might have to say about deer hunting and snow. Opening day 31Oct NH Muzzleloader looks like snow in the MHT area. In my area, Any Deer 31Oct-2Nov, thereafter antlered deer only.

1603802838584.png

Snow is good and bad. A little bit for tracking is great also makes following a blood trailer a lot easier if need be. 3' of snow sucks for getting around in the woods or if you get snow with a layer of ice on top its super loud. Also a white background makes a deer stand out a lot better.

Snow is good and bad. A little bit for tracking is great also makes following a blood trailer a lot easier if need be. 3' of snow sucks for getting around in the woods or if you get snow with a layer of ice on top its super loud. Also a white background makes a deer stand out a lot better.

Yeah, three feet of snow can suck, but what I put in bold is money. Deer have awesome camoflage and they know it. Sometimes they'll just stand there and watch you walk by. What is great is that first snowfall. They still think that standing still works, even though they're brown against a white background. It's like driving in the snow for people. Everyone has to learn all over again on the first snowfall.

Yeah, three feet of snow can suck, but what I put in bold is money. Deer have awesome camoflage and they know it. Sometimes they'll just stand there and watch you walk by. What is great is that first snowfall. They still think that standing still works, even though they're brown against a white background. It's like driving in the snow for people. Everyone has to learn all over again on the first snowfall.

I was walking to my stand through thick Laurel at sunrise, and a doe let me pass her at less than 5 yards away before she took off. I thought I was gonna have a heart attack when that happened.

agree with what’s been said but don’t think deer just bunker down when it rains or snow. Unless it’s a blizzard they still gotta eat. Lower temps typically mean they need more food and movement.

That works both ways.

Bob

I have been watching this guy he is local to New England has some good info and good videos on tracking

Another New Englander specializing in tracking is Hal Blood of Maine.

I'm specifically going deer scouting one final time this Saturday because of the snowfall Friday night to prepare for gun season, which starts on 11/11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another New Englander specializing in tracking is Hal Blood of Maine.

I'm specifically going deer scouting one final time this Saturday because of the snowfall Friday night to prepare for gun season, which starts on 11/11.
Ill actually be hunting saturday not scouting. My season starts sat morning in nh! Oct 31 is opener for muzzle loader. You've never considered a muzzle loader for nh hunting to get some earlier days in? I actually use my muzzle loader during fire arm season in mass and southern nh. Its more accurate than my shotguns and I can hunt with it oct 31 to dec 31with nh and ma licenses.

Ill actually be hunting saturday not scouting. My season starts sat morning in nh! Oct 31 is opener for muzzle loader. You've never considered a muzzle loader for nh hunting to get some earlier days in? I actually use my muzzle loader during fire arm season in mass and southern nh. Its more accurate than my shotguns and I can hunt with it oct 31 to dec 31with nh and ma licenses.

I have considered muzzleloader hunting and I prefer the self-contained centerfire cartridge with smokeless powder. Just makes the logistics easier. Next year I want to try long range hunting in clear cuts, so I'll be getting into more modern cartridges like 6.5CM or PRC.

Upland hunting keeps me busy before firearms season.

I have considered muzzleloader hunting and I prefer the self-contained centerfire cartridge with smokeless powder. Just makes the logistics easier. Next year I want to try long range hunting in clear cuts, so I'll be getting into more modern cartridges like 6.5CM or PRC.

Upland hunting keeps me busy before firearms season.
Makes sense. Just striking up a conversation about it that's all. I've had a busy small game season so far in Southern nh and got a little game in the freezer from some short walks in the woods.

You are obviously in more northern management zones if your rifle hunting. I live in mass right on border so hunt zone m in nh which is shotgun only during fire arm season so my situation is quite different. Mass us shotgun only anyway so for alot of reasons a muzzle loader with a scope can be better than thr shotgun anyway for certain terrain.

You are obviously in more northern management zones if your rifle hunting. I live in mass right on border so hunt zone m in nh which is shotgun only during fire arm season so my situation is quite different. Mass us shotgun only anyway so for alot of reasons a muzzle loader with a scope can be better than thr shotgun anyway for certain terrain.

D2E, D2W, G1, and maybe F. I thought about buying a RI shotgun tag but I took off Thanksgiving week, so, I'll have NH opening day, weekends, and that week to fill my NH tag.

The snow was a day early and left 2-3 inches of scrunchy snow - not crunchy - to somewhat muffle footsteps. I was in the woods before first light with a very gentle breeze in my face. Couldn’t be better, except the temperature dropped from 23F to 19F by 8am, warming up to 25F when I called it at 915am.

Tons of coyote tracks and a few turkey but no deer tracks. The trees were normal for mast this year but variable. Some none at all and others heavy, so feeding locations probably vary too. I’ll look for tracks elsewhere later. I usually hear a few shots in the distance opening day but none this year. Maybe the critters are hunkering down until it warms up some.

It’s great to observe nature waking up to sunshine. A flock of overnighting sparrows decided to take wing as I sat still - first one or two, then dozens and dozens. A few cardinals. A mouse poking up and skittering over the snow crust before dipping back into another hole.

While only 20F, the rising sun heated tree bark and and stream was rising through the woods - a good tip on the gentle breeze direction. Glistening ice crystals on leaves and the pines still shrouded in icy snow.

Hopefully deer later!

Last edited:
Definite increase in activity by me. And lots of critter tracks this morning. I opted to sit out sitting in the tree though.

Yesterday saw zero deer tracks in the spot I hunted opening morning if muzzle loader. Game cams and info I got from locals told me there should have been deer moving through the property. Full moon and clear sky after two days of rain may have effected the movements? I don't know. I'm thinking about it.

At the two properties I went scouting, I saw:

*Moose scrapes, poop, and tracks
*Deer poop, scrapes, and tracks
*Sign of a hunter dragging a deer out of one area I want to hunt, such as fur, blood, and disturbed leaves

Surprisingly, very little snow. North of Concord, all the snow had melted. I saw some small patches on a ridge connecting two clear cuts and a selective cut, but not much more.

Its supposed to snow again on Tuesday.

Had a good herd come through this morning. Could only see the tops of their backs so no shot......they were on a Ridgeline came out a different place than I had expected. I scouted a little when I packed up and picked out a better spot with a better vantage point. I'll figure them out.

Snow worked well me for me last year on the day after the shotgun opener. We had about 4-5 inches fall that day and tracking was impossible. The doe I killed was bedded down with three others. That was the 180 lb Momma. I just kept my eyes peeled into the hedge openings and there they were 15 yards away looking right at me while I raised my Browning and fired an Accutip for the kill.

Got a Buck in Southern Mass Friday Morning in heavy snow. He was walking his scrapes at about 9:30 in the morning. It had turned over to snow at about 8:30. Popped up at 40 yds and turned broadside to me at i hit him where the heart connects to the lungs . He went a total of 10 yds and piled up dead. First kill with my new Crossbow.

Back
Top Bottom