Defense 5.56 ammo in Mass?

Varmint

NES Member
Was in Cabela's and they didn't have much in the way of what I understand is the current thinking in defense 5.56.

They had some SSA 77gr OTM ($19) and some SSA 65gr (?) bonded ($22). Is SSA good?

Can you guys recommend anything reasonably priced, that I can pick up in Mass or NH? I want to have some low penetration defense 5.56 in case god forbid I ever need to use my AR around the house. This is more for SHTF, since I don't keep my AR loaded or accessible under normal circumstances. I have plenty of AE XM193.

Was in Cabela's and they didn't have much in the way of what I understand is the current thinking in defense 5.56.

They had some SSA 77gr OTM ($19) and some SSA 65gr (?) bonded ($22). Is SSA good?

Can you guys recommend anything reasonably priced, that I can pick up in Mass or NH? I want to have some low penetration defense 5.56 in case god forbid I ever need to use my AR around the house. This is more for SHTF, since I don't keep my AR loaded or accessible under normal circumstances. I have plenty of AE XM193.

Hornady 223/556 TAP 75GR is a good SD round...normally goes for 19-21 bucks per 20.

For SHTF, I'd stock up on cheap, reliable ammo. For me, it's Wolf Gold 223.

Hornady 223/556 TAP 75GR is a good SD round...normally goes for 19-21 bucks per 20.

For SHTF, I'd stock up on cheap, reliable ammo. For me, it's Wolf Gold 223.

Thanks - yeah, I've been stocking up on AE XM193 cause it's so cheap at Cabela's now with the gift cards and coupons.

They didn't have that Hornady last time.

Thanks - yeah, I've been stocking up on AE XM193 cause it's so cheap at Cabela's now with the gift cards and coupons.

Same here. Between their current sale and getting gift cards on sale on eBay I've been doing better than buying in bulk.

The Hornady Zombie ammo was on sale too and I believe is poly tipped.

Ditto on something poly tipped, but really anything loaded super hot is fine for HD because at that range you're pretty sure that round is going to fragment even if it's just XM193.

The closer you get to an AR the more deadly it is due to fragmentation/tumbling.

I'm reloading what is basically accurate XM193 with 55gr FMJ Hornady heads and IMR4320 for $225/k. Sub MOA groups from my 16".

If you shoot your AR a lot, you need to look at reloading. $350/k for what amounts to 3-4 MOA ammo is pretty much highway robbery with no vaseline.

[video=youtube_share;tku8YI68-JA]http://youtu.be/tku8YI68-JA[/video]

Skip to 8:36 for a leg wound from a point blank 5.56 round an officer put into his own leg. Bullet enters and exits about 8 inches apart.

Plenty of ballistic gel pics and videos out there focusing on the fragmentation/tumbling effect of 5.56 which is a design feature of the round and part of the justification for moving to it over .30/.308.

Back
Top Bottom