Delay

Just venting, upon waiting a month which wasn’t bad for a target/ hunting because restrictions are always given in Medford, I go to purchase a firearm and I’m told I have to wait now because the NCIS check is delayed does anyone have any info on this, they told me that it is common but not to worry, It will pass and either way I can pick it up April 8, it is all paid for.

Happened to me. I signed up for UPIN from the feds, haven’t been delayed since but I’ve heard some still have even with a UPIN.

Happened to me. I signed up for UPIN from the feds, haven’t been delayed since but I’ve heard some still have even with a UPIN.
After thinking about it I was getting nervous that I would be denied but thinking how could I if I got my LTC they told me it won’t be denied as I already paid for in full the gun it’s just a buzz kill LOL there is no reason I should be denied but still

After thinking about it I was getting nervous that I would be denied but thinking how could I if I got my LTC they told me it won’t be denied as I already paid for in full the gun it’s just a buzz kill LOL there is no reason I should be denied but still

don’t expect govt systems, workers or policies to work well.

when you go to pick it up, they probably won’t have it cleared still.

Background checks are taking days nowadays. No worries, if you got a mass ltc, you’ll eventually get your gun(s). Just one last .gov kick in the crotch on your way to freedom!

Background checks are taking days nowadays. No worries, if you got a mass ltc, you’ll eventually get your gun(s). Just one last .gov kick in the crotch on your way to freedom!
Yes, they told me April 8 regardless I can pick it up like I said it’s all paid for, probably will be sooner they said!!👍🏻👍🏻

Don't count on it being sooner. Especially with all the NICS checks being done.

Only 1x has my delay turned into a proceed EARLIER than the 3-days.

YMMV.

I get delayed every single time. My dealers are cool and let me Brady out in 72 hours. Like you, I've only ever received a PROCEED once before the Brady timeout.

I get delayed every single time. My dealers are cool and let me Brady out in 72 hours. Like you, I've only ever received a PROCEED once before the Brady timeout.
I understand that paid for has nothing to do with it, I’m just worried about not passing the second check but I don’t know why. I would think if the first one was passed this would be as well is all I really want to know. 👍🏻

last weekend I went to pickup my firearm purchase, NICS check took at least 20 minutes and came back as a delay. Send in the fingerprints and all that crap to get a UPIN to avoid a delay and the bastards still delayed me. Ridiculous dealing with this BS

One factor is your name. Common name - high probability of getting a delay. I knew a guy named D. Smith and he got delayed every single time. I have never gotten delayed. My last name is so unique that every other person in the country who shares it is a close relative (brother/sister, uncle/aunt, cousin, niece/nephew) of mine. Fortunately none of them have ever been in trouble with the law.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys put your SS number on your 4473? Every one I've filled out I've always included it and I've always been delayed. I think I've come to the realization that it doesn't matter, so I'm not going to include it any longer.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys put your SS number on your 4473? Every one I've filled out I've always included it and I've always been delayed. I think I've come to the realization that it doesn't matter, so I'm not going to include it any longer.
If you're getting delayed with it try it without. We have somebody who doesn't get delayed without it that does get delayed when he does include it. That and especially if you get delayed anyways just stop providing it.

If you're getting delayed with it try it without. We have somebody who doesn't get delayed without it. That and especially if you get delayed anyways just stop providing it.
I recently made a purchase through an FFL and decided not to include it and I still got a delay. I'm waiting for the 72 hrs. to pass now. I've contemplated the UPIN, but the guy at the shop said he's seen people with it still get delayed. I just wish I knew why, it's not the end of the world but it is irritating.

I recently made a purchase through an FFL and decided not to include it and I still got a delay. I'm waiting for the 72 hrs. to pass now. I've contemplated the UPIN, but the guy at the shop said he's seen people with it still get delayed. I just wish I knew why, it's not the end of the world but it is irritating.
Yeah, so really though I wouldn't ever bother including it. Just means putting your social out there more otherwise. Get a UPIN they are being approved electronically fairly quickly at the moment and can't delay you any more than you already are.

But was it “fully” paid for?
Lol, yes it was, that's why I can't understand why they wouldn't let me take it home. Maybe I should write them a nasty letter, I'm sure they'd be interested to hear about my displeasure with their system and work hard to improve their timelessness with processing background checks 🤣

i have never provided my SSN and never had a delay. However my middle name is extremely unique (or weird) which I always assumed helps. Shit I gave both my boys unique middle names in part to make their 4473’s easier. Not joking.

The process for a background check is that the FFL enters the provided information into the computer and the FBI computer tries to make a decision on whether you are a good or bad person quickly. If it cannot decide, it goes to "researching" which means a human has to look at it. If the human does not bother (too busy talking at the water cooler) or they cannot quickly decide (they have to call a MA court to find out if you completed your CWOF), then you get a delay.

Your SS only gets looked at by a human and not by the computer (or so they told me when I asked a chatty person on the other end of a manual check). So if your SS matters, you are already a problem because you went to "researching". If you have ever been arrested it is likely because of this and the FBI computer not understanding the disposition (CWOFs are a non-starter) or don't have the disposition. Or it could be a common name.

UPINs will fix most problems.

I think putting your SS# on the form is 100% always wrong. Remember that FFLs have to retain your records for 20 years or until they cease operation, whichever comes first. And when that time comes, they ship them all to the ATF in WV who then digitizes them. It has everything an identify thief needs all in once place. Seems like a really really poor idea to include your SS#

Just relating my experience. I have bought, I think, 23 or 25 firearms in the last year+, have always included my SSN, have a very common name (at least for Massachusetts) and have only once or twice had an hour or two delay, but both of those times I think the issue was system wide, and not specific to me.

I got delayed even with a UPIN. My last purchase. I honestly thing it’s like winning the lottery now I if you don’t get delayed. They never cleared the delay either, had a good dealer to deal with.

I have a UPIN and my last 2 purchases with it on the 4473 I got delayed. I applied for it because I suddenly started getting delays. The only thing I can say is that the delays seem to be shorter in duration. I was at 4 seasons this week and got delayed but was roaming around the shop for half and hour and it came back proceed while I was there so I don't know if the UPIN helped or not.

Back
Top Bottom