• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Delayed" on new gun purchase from FFL

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Hey everyone,

I was just at my local gun shop to pick up a gun I had on layaway, and when I filled out the Federal paperwork, I was given a "delayed" status. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I can most truthfully say that absolutley nothing has occured in my life that would cause the feds (or any other LE group) to cause an issue or friction on my background check. The owner of the shop was very cool about it, and says it happens fairly frequently, and that the Feds call back and clear it up 99.99% of the time.

As far as my own record, I'm in no way worried, but in a age of identity theft, I must say I'm a bit concerned... The shop owner also said that the Feds pull from multiple databases, and if the one that contains my info is down, that can also cause a delay...

Anyone else have experience with this? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated so I don't sweat it out over the weekend [sad]

Thanks!

It has happened to many people I know with common names. No big deal as it does happen frequently. It still stinks to have to wait though.

FYI, I used to work at a gun shop. If you didn't do anything you should have nothing to worry about. I have seen people who have been buying guns for years all of a sudden get delayed. Don't sweat it.

Did you put your SSN on the form? sometimes this makes a difference,
other times it does not.

Sometimes delayed's get "resolved" quickly, so sometimes its useful to hang
around the store for 10-20 minutes just to see if they call back.

If it happens more than once, though, I'd conduct a bit of a field investigation of sorts to find out why. If its just a delay, you can probably obtain a PIN from the feds to input on the 4473. (basically the PIN gives the examiner more information, I guess, that they wouldnt ordinarily
see.)

-Mike

Sometimes delayed's get "resolved" quickly, so sometimes its useful to hang around the store for 10-20 minutes just to see if they call back.
+1

If it happens more than once, though, I'd conduct a bit of a field investigation of sorts to find out why.
With respect, Who would one call? Have you or anyone you know done this? If so, what was the outcome?

B.J.

I was at FS myself today and there was a problem with the NICs computers. Everything went through smoothly eventually, so no big deal.

FWIW, I used to get denied every single time because of an identity theft problem (another story). I finally ended up applying for a Voluntary Appeal File and now have a UPIN and all my transactions only take 5-10 minutes tops
(and that's only because of NICs examiner incompetence/bureaucracy).

As I understand it, if I had supplied my PIN, this wouldn't have been a problem? I carry the PIN form with me when I go to the gun shop, but I've never been asked for it each time I've bought a gun. Not sure how I could have made this go smoother... And I did (as I always do) put my SSN on the form FWIW.

Thanks for all of your input folks...

The very same... And the Terminator, and the Matrix, and.... Well you get the idea. [smile]

"Snatch"...

Sol: "What's that?"

Vincent: "This is a shotgun, Sol"

Sol: "It's a f***ing anti-aircraft gun, Vincent".

Vincent: "I want to raise pulses, don't I?"

Sol: "You'll raise hell, never mind pulses".

As I understand it, if I had supplied my PIN, this wouldn't have been a problem? I carry the PIN form with me when I go to the gun shop, but I've never been asked for it each time I've bought a gun. Not sure how I could have made this go smoother... And I did (as I always do) put my SSN on the form FWIW.

If you are referring to the Pin# from MIRCS (new Mass license) AFAIK it has nothing to do with the NICS system.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I feel better already! Can't wait to get that bad larry. I think I'll take it to the skeet range, just to see the looks on the older guys faces (not that there's anything with being older, it's just that some of the cronies at my club own shotguns, and nothing else. I don't think half of them even know we have a mag ban, AWB etc...) I think I'll remove it from the case and then once on the range, (pointing in a safe direction of course) I'll re-enact the scene from Juraasic Park with the raptor handler [devil2]

You are correct, BJ...The Pin# you receive with your new MA LTC is strictly for MA MIRCS.

This is as I suspected, that the PIN was only for the state side of things. I remember a dealer stating that MIRCS eliminated the need for a buyer to show their PIN. I assume this is true, as I've never once been asked for my PIN before.

The fed UPIN number I have is entriely different from the PIN used by the MIRCS system if that's what you're thinking about.

Personally, I wouldn't have applied for one myself, but the denied issue was becoming a major PITA.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.htm

VOLUNTARY APPEAL FILE

A final rule was published by the Department of Justice in The Federal Register, outlining the following changes. Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1),(2), and (3), the FBI NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next FBI NICS operational day. If a potential purchaser is delayed or denied a firearm and successfully appeals the decision, the FBI NICS Section cannot retain a record of the overturned appeal. If the record is not able to be updated, the purchaser continues to be denied or delayed, and if that individual appeals the decision, the documentation must be resubmitted on every subsequent purchase.

For this reason, the Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) has been established. This process permits applicants to request that the FBI NICS maintain information about themselves in the VAF to prevent future denials or extended delays of a firearm transfer.
APPLICATION PROCESS

Under this new process, potential purchasers will have the option to supply the FBI NICS Section with information such as name, date of birth, social security number, and any other identifying numbers using the VAF application included in this brochure to request to be entered into the file. The individual’s signature under the applicant’s statement is required to give the FBI NICS Section permission to retain the information in this file. Documents that may clarify records or prove identity (e.g., fingerprint cards, court records, pardons, etc.) will be entered in the VAF along with the descriptive information from the application. Fingerprint impressions are required and must be prepared by a law enforcement agency that must stamp the agency name, address, and telephone number on the fingerprint card. This application, a set of rolled fingerprints, the reason the person believes they should be entered into the VAF and any supporting documentation should be sent to the following address:

Google "Voluntary Appeal File" for more info.

I used to get delayed frequently even though I have no skeletons in my closet and get frequent work related security clearances. Now I use my ss# on transactions and have no trouble. Still felt lousy nevertheless.

I get delayed every time. Because I have a common Hispanic name, though I a Italian, I have NEVER been able to purchase and go since they initiated the system. A credit union in Fall River had a serious breach of private records many years ago, and accounts with my last name were compromised, and I think that is what set it off in the first place.

I can tell you one thing, after sweating the permit process the first time, getting delayed at the gun shop was more than a shock. I thought I was in deep crapola.

One of the problems is that the NICS check system is not allowed by law to keep a record of purchases you have made. Thus, each time you try to buy it is like making your first purchase, and they have to do the whole rigamarole to check you out.

I've gotten pretty used to it now. I go in, buy what I want, and tell the dealer I'll get delayed and I'll see him in a day or so. It kinda sucks, but I think it might help me with spontanious purchasing and save me some money!! After 3 or 4 business days they can give you the gun anyway.

I got all the paperwork for the voluntary record system, but I thought the process of getting fingerprints taken and other paperwork to be more of a problem than just waiting a day or so. Anticipation to me is now half of the fun.

The PIN # if for use in places that don't have a fingerprint scanner, and I've never used it.

Good luck

Bill

Hey everyone,

Just so you all know, I was given the "proceed" yesterday afternoon, and I picked up the monster right away! Pics are forthcoming, so check the gun gallery soon!

Thanks again!

When I was living in Ohio, I got delayed everytime as well. I would just hang out and in about 10 min, they would call back and I would go home with my prize...

But, moving to MA, and I haven't be delayed at all...

Though, nothing happened other than a change of address.

Yep, I get the good ole delay everytime too. It's a big pain in the arse and I almost crapped my pants for my first purchase. Luckily it clears in about an hour or so. I don't have a common name either. Weird

It used to happen with someone I knew who had the same first and last name as a felon, but the middle initial was different. In order for him not to wait he now uses his SS#. He doesn't like doing it, but when he does there's no delay.

I didn't have a problem for 30 years. About 3 years ago I was delayed for 5 days and 2 weeks later I bought another gun with no problem. Since then I've been delayed every time.

There is a up side to it I realized after the 3rd time. I can walk in to any gun store buy a gun with hardly no money in my pocket and put down 50 bucks and come back in 5 days and pay for it.

I didn't have a problem for 30 years. About 3 years ago I was delayed for 5 days and 2 weeks later I bought another gun with no problem. Since then I've been delayed every time.

There is a up side to it I realized after the 3rd time. I can walk in to any gun store buy a gun with hardly no money in my pocket and put down 50 bucks and come back in 5 days and pay for it.

Um....Keith or Darius?...I thought it was 3 days that they had to get back to you on the delay, and if they didn't call back with a denial then you could go ahead and finish the purchase....or am I wrong on that??

Um....Keith or Darius?...I thought it was 3 days that they had to get back to you on the delay, and if they didn't call back with a denial then you could go ahead and finish the purchase....or am I wrong on that??

So far as I know, three business days is the "delay" period. IF there is no further word from NICS in that time, the transfer can go forward.

Back
Top Bottom