• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Delayed

That sucks - sorry to hear about that - hope you didn't have to drive too far.

Drove 1.5 hrs this weekend to pickup a gun - had fingers crossed that I didn't get my first delay.

I get delayed every single time, because some scumbag has the same name as me. I've never had a shop not release a firearm on the 4th day, and if they did I'd demand a refund, or alert the ATF.

it's never happened to me but i'm sure it will someday.

it seems the people who get delayed have common last names, which i'm guessing means the stupid background check system isn't too sure who the f*** is who. scary stupid.

the extra retarded part is that the feds can't implement some system to help clear those who are repeatedly delayed for no reason.

it seems the people who get delayed have common last names, which i'm guessing means the stupid background check system isn't too sure who the f*** is who. scary stupid.

the extra retarded part is that the feds can't implement some system to help clear those who are repeatedly delayed for no reason.
Isn't that what UPIN is?

I get delayed every single time, because some scumbag has the same name as me. I've never had a shop not release a firearm on the 4th day, and if they did I'd demand a refund, or alert the ATF.

Why alert the ATF?

An FFL is under no legal obligation to proceed with any transfer if they haven't gotten the green light from NIC's after the 3 business days have elapsed.

Isn't that what UPIN is?

Voluntary Appeal File...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_appeals_brochure_eng

if it works then why don't i see people using it?
do you have direct experience w a UPIN?

Either they're unaware of it, or they don't like the idea of the Feds retaining any records of their firearms purchases in a central database.

if it works then why don't i see people using it?
do you have direct experience w a UPIN?

The process is not widely publicized. Many people simply don't know their options because they rely on cops and gun store clerks for legal advice.

I have not needed a UPIN yet, but would certainly get one if I got delayed.

Jack

I gave them my pin. I thought that would ensure I'd be fine. This was an out of state buy from g broker. So I paid a while ago. Stinks tho take have all your stuff in order, take cpl hours off work, sit in traffic and tolls and get that news. Any idea on time frame for this or a time frame to bitch?

I gave them my pin. I thought that would ensure I'd be fine. This was an out of state buy from g broker. So I paid a while ago. Stinks tho take have all your stuff in order, take cpl hours off work, sit in traffic and tolls and get that news. Any idea on time frame for this or a time frame to bitch?

You gave them the PIN associated with your MA LTC.

It has nothing to do with the NIC's check or delay.

The UPIN some of us are posting about is issued by the FBI/NIC's.

I give my upin every time. Knock on wood have not been delayed since i got it a few years ago. Upin is not the same as your regular pin

Guess I kind of feel like an idiot. Was unaware of VAF application for one. Maybe it is time to look into it. Just had never crossed my mind to investigate being delayed before since I have done numerous transactions and all went through right away. Oh well...I guess it is now the waiting game and hoping to get a call from them

There is no such things as a 30 day NICS delay.... Find another FFL

I sent my duece's GB Quentin Def lower to this FFL because it was a new shop in the area. Wanted to throw them some business and give myself an excuse to check it out. Hate to tell you, but its at the shop's discretion. I had another FFL call him and grill the policy. He said "no proceed, no firearm. Thats my policy."

He offered to send it to whatever FFL I wanted but at this point I was invested and waited it out. Right before app expiration, I got a call to get it. FFL was only proactive when he realized 30 days was fast approaching and he was getting called by me twice a week.

EDIT: I wont be going back there either. Live n learn but lets be clear that I was giving a young shop owner a little business and exploring the shop. This isnt my primary FFL.

Last edited:
I get delayed all the time another person with my name.....I have never gone past the 4 day rule...if it did and they said still waiting I would forget the sale and move on

Any dealer that won't release a firearm after 72 hours should be named and outed. That is disgusting.

To those who don't know. Per ATF rules, if a delay is not cleared within 72 hours (or it might be 3 business days, I can't recall the specifics), the FFL can transfer the gun WITHOUT an approval. Some FFL's are afraid to act within the law this way. They should be outed and not frequented by any of us.

Don

Because people are too lazy to fill out the UPIN VAF application.

-Mike

I think it took 10 min to fill out. Only part that sucked was getting finger printed for the form at the PD, that took 30 min because some idiot was whining about their life to the cop doing the prints and wouldn't shut up. When I sent mine in, I think it took 7 months, that was during '13. It's probably under 4 months now since the surge has diminished.

- - - Updated - - -

I sent my duece's GB Quentin Def lower to this FFL because it was a new shop in the area. Wanted to throw them some business and give myself an excuse to check it out. Hate to tell you, but its at the shop's discretion. I had another FFL call him and grill the policy. He said "no proceed, no firearm. Thats my policy."

He offered to send it to whatever FFL I wanted but at this point I was invested and waited it out. Right before app expiration, I got a call to get it. FFL was only proactive when he realized 30 days was fast approaching and he was getting called by me twice a week.

EDIT: I wont be going back there either. Live n learn but lets be clear that I was giving a young shop owner a little business and exploring the shop. This isnt my primary FFL.

With his attitude, he's going to be a former FFL real soon. Even bigger BS in MA since you gave him a valid MA LTC card.

Any dealer that won't release a firearm after 72 hours should be named and outed. That is disgusting.

It was one of Wal-Marts corporate polices to not proceed with any transfers until they got the green light to proceed... regardless of how many days had passed. I'm uncertain if that's still in effect.

As for LGS's, they're probably not as nearly concerned about the ATF putting the screws to them, and being more concerned how Martha's troops might respond.

To those who don't know. Per ATF rules, if a delay is not cleared within 72 hours (or it might be 3 business days, I can't recall the specifics), the FFL can transfer the gun WITHOUT an approval. Some FFL's are afraid to act within the law this way. They should be outed and not frequented by any of us.

Don

It's 3 business days...

If the FFL has not received a final determination from the NICS after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must check “no resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/a-nics-delay

Sorry to bump just wanted to say I got the call from FFL around noon today saying it was now good to go. Appreciate the advice offered by many of you. Glad to learn something new.. This was a mistake I won't make again. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom