• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no numbers either - but I carry a striker fired weapon as well (M&P) and have had no qualms carrying one in the pipe because I use a good holster. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they started talking about who is buying Glocks aside from responsible gun owners. I don't know a lot of people who carry 1911's tucked in their waistbands - and there is not a lot of rap songs written about them.

I also think, that among NDs that I've heard of - a lot of them have to do with field stripping the gun not carrying. Just my two cents.

Glock pistols were originally designed as modern combat weapons.(yes i know, so were 1911's) No-Nonsense pull the trigger and fire, every time. I carry 2 glocks every single day in condition one and feel 100% comfortable in doing so. I am also 100% confident in the gun's safety. If you are careless with a glock (or sig or M&P), you run a higher risk of something bad happening vs a gun with a "safety". I will not put my faith in a mechanical safety and I will not CCW a firearm with a mechanical safety if i can help it.

Some people cut themselves with knives, some shoot themselves with their firearms, some people find creative ways to amputate their body parts with fireworks.... operator beware!!! Those little bullets move fast!

Last edited:
How did this not get locked out yet? Oh yeah.....I didn't start it!

I love Glocks, but they are in no way as safe from ND's as a 1911. ND's are no doubt caused by human error, bad holster choice, or just plain idiocity.

And yes, I do have a Glock with a siderlock[smile]

I personally think that having a gun without a traditional manual safety ingrains better gun handling - since you don't get used to relying on manual safeties. Obviously not true for everyone, but some people feel the need to go - hey watch this. I know that if I carried a 1911, I'd use the safety, that's how it's designed to be carried. But if I had a M&P or sig with an optional safety (I wouldn't buy one) that it would NOT be engaged.

Aren't most glock ND's caused by the user re-holstering while their finger is still on the trigger? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

not necessarily finger on the trigger, but yes, bad holster. Simple as the mouth of the holster curling in just enough to engage the trigger safety.

What I'm saying is that my 1911 wouldn't go off like that, nor would any of my 3rd gen S&W's nor any of my revolvers, nor my Browning, nor any of the other handguns I own...I own no Glocks.

That indicates to me that the Glock is not as safe as most any other gun.

You can be stupid with a Glock and get shot. You can be stupid with anything other than a Glock and probably not get shot.

I'll never convince a Glockaholic of this though. Just stating my opinion.

i'll stand corrected and or if something has changed, the sherrifs in

cannot carry in condition 1 with glocks.

I bet most ND are reported as something other than what actually happened. That's why we have all these " It just went off in my pocket". I had a stepson who had to fidget or mess with anything in his reach. I'm sure as an adult he does the same thing. Same with guns in the pocket, some people just mess with them without even realizing it.

On your own terms, consider this: Take a 1911 and a Glock. Load both by inserting a full mag and racking the slide. Right then and there, which is the "safer" gun? To get that 1911 to even come close to the safety of the Glock you have to do something -- engage the safety. See how the user gets into the problem so quickly? You can't ignore that, even to make a simple point. The safety is in the shooter, always.

the 1911 is the safer, you have to squeeze the grip safety first,

the glock is ready to go just pull the trigger.

Having an unholstered gun in your pocket is a bad idea IMO. Especially if you have keys or other things in there as well. Comes down to a good holster that covers the trigger and keeping your finger off the trigger.

I don't have numbers to back it up but I'd bet that the ratio of ND's of Glocks related to the number of Glocks is considerably higher than the same ratio of 1911's, and goes off the chart when comparing it to revolvers.

Also restrict the counting of the percentage of ND's in Glocks to non LEO as you would with a 1911 and you'll see more ND's with Glocks.

Again I repeat I don't have the numbers but I think it's a pretty safe bet.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

sir, you've posted the equivalent of a double negative. it's well known that you personally don't like Glocks... which is fine. but your asking others NOT to post factual information and even admitted to NOT having data to back up your statement.

as with any other Glock thread / ND-AD thread, i'm the first one to post that i bet it was a Glock... so please cut me some slack. [laugh]

n00bs are drawn to Glocks... Glocks do NOT have "active" external safeties. i get that... maybe Glock should incorporate the NY Triggers for all Glocks like they did for NYPD when they switched. only then, can we prevent NDs.

File under: Operator Malfunction.

HOOAH.

I don't have numbers to back it up but I'd bet that the ratio of ND's of Glocks related to the number of Glocks is considerably higher than the same ratio of 1911's, and goes off the chart when comparing it to revolvers.

Also restrict the counting of the percentage of ND's in Glocks to non LEO as you would with a 1911 and you'll see more ND's with Glocks.

Again I repeat I don't have the numbers but I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Do some research on the Glock "Safe Action System".

The Trigger Safety, Firing Pin Safety, and Drop Safety all work together.

If you saw a cut away model or animation - you would realize that the Glock is the safest gun in the world. It is impossible to fire it without pulling the trigger.

simple as missing the holster! I just took this picture. And I am a Glockaholic.

682b6ac5.jpg

Last edited:
Dawrin will weed out the ones who need weeding out. Regardless of which gun they choose to own.

MY head hurts. You guys are arguing a false premise.

Some claim a gun is "unsafe" because it goes off when the trigger is pulled and others claim their gun is safe because it doesn't.

This is stupid.

the 1911 is the safer, you have to squeeze the grip safety first,

the glock is ready to go just pull the trigger.

If you've loaded a full mag into a 1911 and released the slide, chances are you're holding it by the grip. Don't count on that grip safety.

What makes an M&P safer than a Glock? How do other striker fired firearms not ever fall under the same scrutiny as Glocks?
?

What makes an M&P safer than a Glock? How do other striker fired firearms not ever fall under the same scrutiny as Glocks?
?

Stupid, isn't it?

Two things. First, nobody ever wrote a rap song that mentions an M&P. Second, your more "traditional" shooters love S&W. Glock is an Austrian company that makes brutally efficient fighting pistols, and that just doesn't give some guys warm and fuzzy feelings. If I could only own one pistol it would be a Glock 19. And I hate revolvers and safeties. To each his own.

I have only shot myslef with my Glock once, and never with the 1911 I owned. I hereby decree that 1911s are way safer than glocks.

I have only shot myslef with my Glock once, and never with the 1911 I owned. I hereby decree that 1911s are way safer than glocks.

It was the Glock 22, right? (Gotta flog on the .40... ) Did you announce "I am the only one professional enough..." right before it happened, right? [rofl]

-Mike

Do some research on the Glock "Safe Action System".

The Trigger Safety, Firing Pin Safety, and Drop Safety all work together.

If you saw a cut away model or animation - you would realize that the Glock is the safest gun in the world. It is impossible to fire it without pulling the trigger.

Not to derail this, but Ive been looking online at cut away's and diagrams of Glock internals, but I don't understand how the drop safety works on one of them. (Maybe its because I'm not holding one looking at it). Anyone here have a simple explanation? Out of curiosity, does the M&P have some equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom