[Deleted thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand where you're coming from, but if someone is downrange, there should be no hands on a firearms. I'm sure you're very proficient with firearms and gun safety, but there can be no room for error. Plus, the person downrange, really wouldn't appreciate it if there was a hand on a gun while he's the target.

That said, I think the RO could've approached better. I rarely correct, but when I do, I make sure there's a mutual understanding. I was corrected the other day for something minor. I don't mind. Gun safety is a skill. You have to constantly develop it.
oh absolutely. Had he spoken to me man to man rather than a superior to a subordinate, I definitely would have had a much more pleasurable interaction
There should never be handling of any firearm whatsoever if anyone is beyond the firing line!
There was no handling of any firearm. the firearm was secured in its case.

Kinda like Pelham, when shooting a 7" Marauder AR pistol. Pissed off the Fudds. Had the RO (Hall Monitor) tap me on the shoulder and say "slow down your rate of fire" even though I was taking shots about 3 seconds apart. Pussies at Pelham need to get better hearing protection.

Refused to hear me argue back.

Somewhat S/

There's your problem. Why argue with the RO? You aren't going to win, are you? You young'un's have no respect for positions of authority, do you? No one should be touching firearms when anyone is down range, should you?

Don't say a word, those were not questions. They were accusations. [slap]

As I said, somewhat S/ [cheers]

Somewhat S/

There's your problem. Why argue with the RO? You aren't going to win, are you? You young'un's have no respect for positions of authority, do you? No one should be touching firearms when anyone is down range, should you?

Don't say a word, those were not questions. They were accusations. [slap]

As I said, somewhat S/ [cheers]
"Respect muh athoritah"

Kinda like Pelham, when shooting a 7" Marauder AR pistol. Pissed off the Fudds. Had the RO (Hall Monitor) tap me on the shoulder and say "slow down your rate of fire" even though I was taking shots about 3 seconds apart. Pussies at Pelham need to get better hearing protection.
Tell him Monday night is full auto night there

Um....unsure as to the authority of said Range Officer?

Can they get you tossed from the club?

Also, what are the range rules, meaning how are they worded?

I'm not a range officer; our Club does not have them, as such...we consider it to be the responsibility of all. I've spoken (politely) to a couple of people on the outdoor range for physical contact with rifles, when the red light was on, but those were on the bench, pointed downrange, where there were people. I'd not consider a cased rifle or handgun an issue. After all, if you carry, and are shooting another gun, aren't you touching a gun while people are down range?

It's like "Roadhouse"....be nice, until it's time to NOT be nice. Seems that the gun was jumped (yes, I did just do that).

Um....unsure as to the authority of said Range Officer?

Can they get you tossed from the club?

Also, what are the range rules, meaning how are they worded?

I'm not a range officer; our Club does not have them, as such...we consider it to be the responsibility of all. I've spoken (politely) to a couple of people on the outdoor range for physical contact with rifles, when the red light was on, but those were on the bench, pointed downrange, where there were people. I'd not consider a cased rifle or handgun an issue. After all, if you carry, and are shooting another gun, aren't you touching a gun while people are down range?

It's like "Roadhouse"....be nice, until it's time to NOT be nice. Seems that the gun was jumped (yes, I did just do that).
They can get you kicked and range rules change at Westfield all the time. They do have a lot of instances where people show up and buy a membership to shoot for the day and do stupid things that screw it up for other members and I understand the frustration these guys (the RO's) probably go through, however as a regular member, being spoken to like a person is better than being spoken at. Gun was secured in its case and there was not a finger on it.

I have been a member of westfield sportsmans club for 20 years. Never had a problem with RO's. in fact they are very helpful. Review the range rules.....

At Pelham??…Really….

Shooting at an indoor range of a club that I’m a member. I was zeroing in an optic on my MP5 clone. It was in a SBR configuration (8” barrel). I get 5 rounds off and another member beelines over and tells me I can’t shoot that in here, rifles aren’t allowed on the indoor range (they’ll damage the backstop). I remove the rear pin, remove the stock, reach into the case, install a pistol end cap and reinsert the pin. I held it up and asked if he was OK with it now? Please tell me you’re OK with this, so I can call you an F-ing idiot.

Shooting at an indoor range of a club that I’m a member. I was zeroing in an optic on my MP5 clone. It was in a SBR configuration (8” barrel). I get 5 rounds off and another member beelines over and tells me I can’t shoot that in here, rifles aren’t allowed on the indoor range (they’ll damage the backstop). I remove the rear pin, remove the stock, reach into the case, install a pistol end cap and reinsert the pin. I held it up and asked if he was OK with it now? Please tell me you’re OK with this, so I can call you an F-ing idiot.
This always cracks me up. My 10 inch 9 mm SBR with bunny farts is not ok but a 8 inch .357 shooting full bore loads is ok.

YES! Was considering joining, but that sealed the deal...to go elsewhere.
Was it at the action ranges by any chance? I have been going there awhile now and never had or saw any issues. It’s NH and I’ve seen some serious hardware up there.

YES! Was considering joining, but that sealed the deal...to go elsewhere.
Yep, a Marauder throws a pretty good muzzle blast flame, and is pretty loud, even if you're a half deaf Fudd. Probably pissed that they had to pick up a bunch of soiled Depends in the restroom that day.

Sorry Op, there are always 2 sides to the story. I would never handle a firearm if someone was downrange, and expect the same from everyone else. You don't want to be downrange, 100/200 yards away, and see some dude fiddling with a case.

That being said, I have had my share of range officers who take the job a little too seriously. Thankfully, I no longer belong to a club where "Range Officer" is a thing, beyond the mindset that "everyone is an RO".

Was it at the action ranges by any chance? I have been going there awhile now and never had or saw any issues. It’s NH and I’ve seen some serious hardware up there.
No, not at the action ranges, but I was not doing mag dumps or anything else, just timed firing, but the pistol is loud.

Last edited:
Sorry Op, there are always 2 sides to the story. I would never handle a firearm if someone was downrange, and expect the same from everyone else. You don't want to be downrange, 100/200 yards away, and see some dude fiddling with a case.

That being said, I have had my share of range officers who take the job a little too seriously. Thankfully, I no longer belong to a club where "Range Officer" is a thing, beyond the mindset that "everyone is an RO".
No, you are right there are two sides to every story. Supposedly there was an incident there the week before and they were more on edge because of that. Like I said earlier, if he had spoken to me like a person rather than came at me, the interaction certainly would have gone differently.

Yeah you shouldn’t be touching your guns with someone down range.

I remember a guy shot off his AR with 2 guys down range at my club a number of years ago. It was just me and 2 other guys behind the firing line and this older guy had been having issues with his AR. We had our backs turned to him and didn’t realize he was fiddling with his AR and next thing BOOM!! And my ears are ringing.

Needless to say the guys down range were scared shit and extremely pissed off. That guy is no longer a member after I reported him.

I’ve had RO‘s give me shit for “rapid fire” meanwhile him and his wife muzzle sweep me and other members while handling their rifles…🙄

This is why I avoid going on Sundays when my club is open to the public and has RO’s

3 year member of the Westfield range. Had a range officer talk at me rather than to me last week for zipping my already secured firearm in its case while another member was checking his target down range. Safety on, already locked, no hand on the gun whatsoever. Spoke to me like I was his subordinate. Refused to hear me argue back. Yet I've seen these RO's turn the other way for the shaky old man loading strippers into his mosin with it pointed at the damn sky. Lets hear your stories when an RO got in your face because they needed to feel big that day.

Pick a better example, you’re the one in the wrong here, on both the initial infraction and subsequent arguing about being corrected

After running ranges from .45 to tank cannons in the Army, volunteered as an RO one summer at BRP, before they made the changes to the outdoor range.

Made me cynical toward many members, and the guy running the RO program at the time.

To each their own. My hand was not on my firearm.
I belonged to Westfield for about a year. There was this one RO that would approach me every time I went asking to see my pass. I know this guy recognized me after awhile because he acknowledged it. He knew my membership was up to date but EVERY time I went he would ask to see my pass.

They had an open house to promote memberships and they were really nice guys, so I joined up. But then because of this one RO it was getting creepy.

I finally said screw it and just use the range at my house were nobody gives me any crap. It’s not 300 yards but I still have a lot of hassle free fun with no membership fees.

I remember a guy shot off his AR with 2 guys down range at my club a number of years ago. It was just me and 2 other guys behind the firing line and this older guy had been having issues with his AR. We had our backs turned to him and didn’t realize he was fiddling with his AR and next thing BOOM!! And my ears are ringing.

Needless to say the guys down range were scared shit and extremely pissed off. That guy is no longer a member after I reported him.

I’ve had RO‘s give me shit for “rapid fire” meanwhile him and his wife muzzle sweep me and other members while handling their rifles…🙄

This is why I avoid going on Sundays when my club is open to the public and has RO’s
That's scary...

I've told a few people about the time I started walking back to the firing line after setting up a target to find a MA state trooper handling his pistol on the firing line. I guess the flashing lights and sirens weren't enough of a clue to him that the range was cold...

Maybe not as deleted as the title would suggest...

This.

Whatever the previous thread title was, nothing draws as many clicks as a title that says something like PLEASE DELETE or [Deleted thread].

OP, if you want people to stop clicking on this, might want to rename it something like "Bought a new wallet today!" Ain't nobody clicking on those stupid threads anymore.

I'm a member there too and also avoid Sunday mornings because the range officers can be a bit over the top LOL. Let them harass the public. In their defense I think they see so much crazy sh..t when open to the public that they start barking at everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom