Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

I keep warning people to stop trying to protect your home from noises in the middle of the night. Call the cops and let them deal with it, we're all too stupid to take care of ourselves anyway. My friend Obama told me so!

More info here: http://reason.com/blog/2012/07/16/florida-cops-knock-on-wrong-door-at-130

Seems like cops knocked at 1:30 and the guy opened the door with gun drawn? Seems pretty dumb. Look out the window first at that hour. Or yell out the door "who's there?" I'm not opening the door until I can confirm who's out there and why.

Also I think body armor is an important thing to own. I bet he'd still be alive if he was wearing it. How many of you own a safe full of guns but nothing to deal with fire coming the other way?

Last edited:
Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for"

Um... I think the word subject should reed victim.

peashooter, so you peak out the window and get plugged in the head. Also, one can buy t-shirts with the term “POLICE” on the front and back in bold lettering. Or you ask, “Who is there?” Now we all know that the police will yell, “Police! Search warrant! Open the door!” But guess what the crooks will yell… “Police! Search warrant. Open the door!” They are not going to say, “It’s Teddy the Home Invader. Please let me in so I can rob you and rape your wife.”

Lately the police have been sticking to killing family pets, like dogs. Now it appears that they have upped the ante a little bit. I wonder how many innocent citizens must die before this practice is stopped.

peashooter, so you peak out the window and get plugged in the head. Also, one can buy t-shirts with the term “POLICE” on the front and back in bold lettering. Or you ask, “Who is there?” Now we all know that the police will yell, “Police! Search warrant! Open the door!” But guess what the crooks will yell… “Police! Search warrant. Open the door!” They are not going to say, “It’s Teddy the Home Invader. Please let me in so I can rob you and rape your wife.”

Very unlikely that whoever is outside has the reflexes, aim and intent to shoot you in the head if you peek out the window. I can look out discreetly without anyone knowing I'm there. We also have a peep hole in the front door - if they cover it up, well, I'm not gonna open the door.

If you look out and see two guys in POLICE t-shirts, call 911 and ask them if the cops are outside your house... Added benefit of doing this is that there is also now a record of the incident so you can tell your side of the story when this sort of thing happens.

Opening the door without trying to figure out who's there just doesn't seem like the brightest idea, but ignoring it and going back to bed doesn't seem like a great idea either. I think if I can't determine who's outside I call 911 and go from there. They either confirm that it's the police outside, or that it's a bad guy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom