• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

Hi everybody,
Having my BPD interview this week.
Have a quick question: Reading this forum, I'm getting the impression that they almost never contact the "references" people provide on their applications. Is that correct?
I just figured I'd ask; because if I'm actually signing my friends up for getting seriously interviewed by the police and getting all sorts of questions asked about me, I should rather warn them upfront.
For the record, I'm not asking for an unrestricted LTC. But wish me luck anyway.
Cheers,
And thanks for any tips.

Welcome and good luck.

I'd ask for and apply for unrestricted anyway. Don't give them more reasons to give out restrictions.

As a courtesy, always ask your friends if you can use them as a reference BEFORE putting them down on any form. I had someone I know (and would have had no problem being a reference) only tell me after the fact that he put me down as a reference for his Son (who I have NEVER met)! It still irritates me years later and he's lucky that the PD didn't contact me as I would have honestly answered "who?" and it wouldn't have ended well.

As a courtesy, always ask your friends if you can use them as a reference BEFORE putting them down on any form. I had someone I know (and would have had no problem being a reference) only tell me after the fact that he put me down as a reference for his Son (who I have NEVER met)! It still irritates me years later and he's lucky that the PD didn't contact me as I would have honestly answered "who?" and it wouldn't have ended well.

I completely understand. I would never use anybody as a reference, for anything - employment, rental, whatever - without asking first. I have already asked, but I also told them "from what I've heard, they are most likely not even going to bother you." If I hear otherwise, that the BPD are actually going to subject them to a 2 hour interview, I'd rather alert them right away.

Welcome and good luck.

I'd ask for and apply for unrestricted anyway. Don't give them more reasons to give out restrictions.

Makes sense. But, put it this way, I wasn't going to make up any fanciful reasons why I need to be able to carry a concealed gun. If they tell me, "in this city, you gotta have a good reason for us to let you carry unrestricted...", I'm not going to argue with them and insist.

Makes sense. But, put it this way, I wasn't going to make up any fanciful reasons why I need to be able to carry a concealed gun. If they tell me, "in this city, you gotta have a good reason for us to let you carry unrestricted...", I'm not going to argue with them and insist.
Always ask for unrestricted; reason: "All lawful purposes". Why would you willingly downgrade yourself instead of at least trying to get the best?

You don't have to argue, just explain. There's little ramifications for them to restrict so you still may be, but don't be afraid they'll outright deny you. If they do, you have a strong chance of winning an appeal.

I completely understand. I would never use anybody as a reference, for anything - employment, rental, whatever - without asking first. I have already asked, but I also told them "from what I've heard, they are most likely not even going to bother you." If I hear otherwise, that the BPD are actually going to subject them to a 2 hour interview, I'd rather alert them right away.

So wait- did BPD require 2 references? That is news to me... I go in february.

This could turn into a college application essay situation in which many of the essays are either authored by, or rewritten by, paid consultants.

In fact, I wonder why colleges even bother with the essays, since the ones for the top notch schools are probably almost always professionally prepared by an ivy consultant.

BPD employees fill out the application while asking questions. You don't get to request unrestricted.

You can "request unrestricted" but it requires more creativity than that. You better roll up with the horse+dog trailer... [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I requested unrestricted for ALP but during the interview I was told that everyone's app gets downgraded. Basically there was no way to submit the app for unrestricted. Having gone through this process, my suggestions are as follows:

-If you're a doctor or a layer, you should be good to go for unrestricted.
-If you're politically connected then this is all a joke anyways.
-If none of the above applies, move out of Boston.
-If moving out of Boston is not an option, become a certified instructor and have your restrictions lifted (bonus: you can teach classes and get paid; you learn a ton; antis will wet their panties).
-If none of the above is acceptable, suck it up buttercup. From my experience, no amount of extra training and classes makes any difference to Boston.

Honestly, in the last six months I moved to the suburbs, found a job in the suburbs, and life is great. 20min commute in my own car instead of 1h15m by bus (faster, cheaper, less smelly, more time flex), cheaper rent, no worries about LTC restrictions, shorter drive to ranges, friendly cops, etc but can still get into the city quickly for plays, shows, etc. I hated suburbs my whole life but I'll be damned if I haven't been proven wrong. F*ck Boston.

So wait- did BPD require 2 references? That is news to me... I go in february.

Hi, sorry for the confusion - NO, they did not!
I assumed they would need the references, because the MA state application form mentioned it.
But the city of Boston does everything by their own book; they have their own form, and their own rules.
So yes, I brought the names/addresses of 2 people I was going to use as my references with me. But no, they weren't needed.

Unrelated, but if anyone's curious: I had the Moon Island test scheduled in 13 days after my BPD interview; so, "within two weeks" - as promised. I took the first available early morning (7AM) test though. In case you can only take the test administered in the PM, the wait appears to be longer.

Question for anyone who has received their LTC *recently* - how long did it take, how many weeks between the Moon Island test and actually receiving the license in the mail?
I'm talking specifically about going through the Boston PD process...
Thank you for any info!

Question for anyone who has received their LTC *recently* - how long did it take, how many weeks between the Moon Island test and actually receiving the license in the mail?
Thank you for any info!
My gf shot at moon island in december. She received her LTC about a month later.

I called for an appointment today, and the date I was given for my interview is 9 weeks away. I hope the Moon Island backlog isn't too long!

Thank you for any info!

This is for a renewal in Boston, not new applicant. Previously held unrestricted LTC from Andover

I called HQ sometime at the beginning of October 2016 to schedule my appointment, the woman told me to come in a few weeks later with the application, fee, & w/e the hell they require (it's on the website I believe). I paid the fee & received my Moon Island test date (6am the Friday after Thanksgiving) & Moon Island gate pass. Scored a 290 out of 300 on the test...Received my LTC Unrestricted on December 22nd. So a little over 2 months start to finish.

East Boston resident so I had to go to BPD headquarters. Applied 4/28, didn't need any references. Moon island shooting test on 5/3. Passed shooting test now waiting for license in the mail, assuming I passed all background checks. At shooting test they said 8-10 weeks we should expect something in the mail. (Hoping to get it before 6/30 to get rebate on a new shield)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

East Boston resident so I had to go to BPD headquarters. Applied 4/28, didn't need any references. Moon island shooting test on 5/3. Passed shooting test now waiting for license in the mail, assuming I passed all background checks. At shooting test they said 8-10 weeks we should expect something in the mail. (Hoping to get it before 6/30 to get rebate on a new shield)

Depending on the dealer, you may be able to put the money down now. I paid for my M&P at a nice discount before my ltc came in.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Thank you for any info!

5 days. Applied 4/28(Friday) shooting test was 5/3(Wednesday).

Also, my safety certificate was almost 3 years old and it was a non-issue when applying.

Depending on the dealer, you may be able to put the money down now. I paid for my M&P at a nice discount before my ltc came in.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I found the used gun section on here so I'm most likely going to get one that way. Thanks for the heads up though.

Applied 4/28.
Shooting test 5/3.
Recieved in mail 6/12.

Back
Top Bottom