Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

UBER from N.Quincy MBTA station to and from Moon Island is the right way to go

So to update in case anyone is reading this, yes. the UBER from N.Quincy to Moon island is super easy. Just show the pass to the guard at the gate and he will let you up to be dropped off. Get someone to drop you off at the guard station (it's a mileish walk to the range) on the way out and UBER back. Super easy.

First I want to thank everyone for the help in this thread. I just moved to Boston and it was incredibly helpful I just received my LTC-A, restricted but not surprised at that. I wanted to give a quick rundown of the process for those who will be going through it soon.

Thanks to this thread and other research I knew there was long wait time for the appointment. I knew as far back as December that I would be moving to Boston in March.
  • Mid January - called for my appointment, received March 16th date. They asked if I had completed the safety course. They do not ask for verification of completion or address FYI
  • March 2nd - moved to Boston
  • March 4th - completed safety course with live fire
  • March 16th - completed interview at station, very professional and straight forward, paid $100 cash, no credit card or check accepted (I think money order works as well). Selected the upcoming Tuesday morning at 7:00 am for the moon island shoot.
  • March 20th - Moon Island shoot. It was around 19 degrees and windy, but the staff were very friendly, but they do like to give everyone a hard time in a good natured way. I am an ok handgun shooter, but almost all semi-auto with very little revolver experience. The test is not very difficult for anyone with a modicum of experience. If you get all your hits on what is about a 12x16 inch oval you will pass with flying colors. The 7 yard shots are DA only, 15 yard is your choice of DA/SA. Everyone passed and one person was definitely a newer shooter.
  • April 20th - LTC-A received in the mail, 4/10 issue date, Target and Hunting restricted

I did ask about unrestricted and the officer conducting the interview has no say over it, its up to her boss a lieutenant I believe. I am annoyed that she said they give unrestricted to doctors and lawyers as they are no more qualified than anyone else, but didn't press the point. Basically if your not LEO, doctor or lawyer she said you are out of luck.

Just a heads up for folks applying/renewing in Boston. Called BPD yesterday for a renewal appointment (October expiration) and next available was the first week in September.

Renewal in Boston from a green town on the redline south of Boston.

• 1st week in Feb, called for a renewal appt.
  • Week of 20 March- Interview
    • Licensing officer was very professional and personable.
    • I wrote down something on the lines of: I wish to continue to carry unrestricted within the commonwealth as I have for the past x years.
  • Refresher live fire the weekend before at Boston Firearms
    • Recommend it if you haven't shot a revolver in a whole. Was good to do a practice shoot to get the cobwebs out.
  • Week of 27th of March - Moon Island (COLD that morning)
    • Range officer was professional and a little funny. After the qual, he noted that after the first shot, he was mainly looking for safety on the line. Yes, he needs to count the scores but looking at safely handling of firearms during the exercise.
  • Week of 18 May - LTC-A mailed to the condo
    • Restrictions: None. I am not a Dr, Atty, or other "special" person. I am a veteran but I think the fact that I have a squeaky clean background and safe carrying history within the Commonwealth may have something to do with not getting downgraded?

Renewal in Boston from a green town on the redline south of Boston.

• 1st week in Feb, called for a renewal appt.
  • Week of 20 March- Interview
    • Licensing officer was very professional and personable.
    • I wrote down something on the lines of: I wish to continue to carry unrestricted within the commonwealth as I have for the past x years.
  • Refresher live fire the weekend before at Boston Firearms
    • Recommend it if you haven't shot a revolver in a whole. Was good to do a practice shoot to get the cobwebs out.
  • Week of 27th of March - Moon Island (COLD that morning)
    • Range officer was professional and a little funny. After the qual, he noted that after the first shot, he was mainly looking for safety on the line. Yes, he needs to count the scores but looking at safely handling of firearms during the exercise.
  • Week of 18 May - LTC-A mailed to the condo
    • Restrictions: None. I am not a Dr, Atty, or other "special" person. I am a veteran but I think the fact that I have a squeaky clean background and safe carrying history within the Commonwealth may have something to do with not getting downgraded?
Many Veterans with clean backgrounds,and safe carry history have a restricted LTC in Boston.What I have seen is that Boston has let the people with an unrestricted LTC stay that way,but Boston can be a toss of the dice as they run by their own rules.I renew in November,and have my appointment for October.This year makes 38 years that I have my LTC from Boston.

Last edited:
Went down and picked up my green form last week at bpd hq. Just moved to the people's republic of Boston a few months back. When I picked up app and made my appointment, they were booking out till end of April. My lass driver's license also doesn't have a Boston address and the guy who made the appointment told me it was a non issue and that as long as when they look it up at the dmv, it says Boston. I also have my Boston voter registration if needed.
I know getting an ALP is probably not going to happen but I'm going to at least try.

Last edited:
Im going to book some range time in the following months. Also taking the cc1 class next month. Also planning to take the Utah 39 state. But a lot of range time in my future

Here is what I experienced on getting unrestricted LTC in Boston:

I own a business so the PO who interviewed me automatically put me down as unrestricted. She advised me that I needed to include a copy of my most recent State LLC Filing and also the most recent bank statements from the business. I included both in the file, but she also advised me to send it to Lt. John McDonough as well as he makes the final call.

Took the shooting qual and didn't shoot well, but still passed (258/300)... was told it would take 6-16 weeks to get the license via mail. However, the PO interviewing me said it would be around 45 days, and that seems to be ore accurate Here is what is concerning to me... as a business owner in Boston area, with significant cash deposits and going into peoples homes that we may not know, I was advised by the shooting instructors that although this may increase my chance of getting unrestricted, I still should not pin my hopes on it as the Licensing Lt. is supposed not a 2A friendly guy and wouldn't even grant unrestricted LTC to fellow LEOs.... don't understand why have someone like that process LTCs

The Moon Island test is taken with a Boston PD gun (I think an old revolver).
They use a Ruger .38
GP100 when I went.

Here is what I experienced on getting unrestricted LTC in Boston:

I own a business so the PO who interviewed me automatically put me down as unrestricted. She advised me that I needed to include a copy of my most recent State LLC Filing and also the most recent bank statements from the business. I included both in the file, but she also advised me to send it to Lt. John McDonough as well as he makes the final call.

Took the shooting qual and didn't shoot well, but still passed (258/300)... was told it would take 6-16 weeks to get the license via mail. However, the PO interviewing me said it would be around 45 days, and that seems to be ore accurate Here is what is concerning to me... as a business owner in Boston area, with significant cash deposits and going into peoples homes that we may not know, I was advised by the shooting instructors that although this may increase my chance of getting unrestricted, I still should not pin my hopes on it as the Licensing Lt. is supposed not a 2A friendly guy and wouldn't even grant unrestricted LTC to fellow LEOs.... don't understand why have someone like that process LTCs
McDonough has told me that auxillary police don't get unrestricted, I doubt that's the case for BPD officers though.

was told it would take 6-16 weeks to get the license via mail. However, the PO interviewing me said it would be around 45 days, and that seems to be ore accurate
Good luck, I just hit the 3 month mark today. Our instructors told us 12-16 weeks and it's looking like it'll be closer to the latter.

Back
Top Bottom