DEVOTION, The Movie

Just watched it. I haven't read the book. I intend to.

As a film, pretty good. Not great, but I'm not disappointed I paid to rent it.

There were a few scenes (e.g., most of France) that stretched credulity. I am unsurprised to find, after the least research, that's not real.

Overall, I'd give it a B.

Man, incredible story, but really poor movie.

The first half was pretty good.... then it just stagnated, with no real peak or climax. A lot of being told the characters have struggles, but not really feeling any struggle... until the very end when it all ends

Great story, meh execution. I give the movie a C+, which for Hollywood standards today is pretty solid. The HBO original movie The Tuskegee Airmen was better and that came out in the 90s. It was OK but I’ll probably never see it again.

Last edited:
I was randomly just reading a book on the history of the Corsair (they were flying late-model corsairs in Korea) and it had a blurb about this story. I will have to go see the movie.

It starts when a radial engined fighter looks to be flying faster and manuevering more nimbly than an F-16. One does not defy physics except in Hollywood.

It is probably embellished, but the F4U-5 was one of the highest performance piston fighters ever made. Almost 2500 hp with water/methanol injection, 4000+ lb bomb load (same as a B-25), etc. Very well known as an excellent air superiority fighter. They were pretty nimble and quick (IIRC 450+ mph in level flight).

I was randomly just reading a book on the history of the Corsair (they were flying late-model corsairs in Korea) and it had a blurb about this story. I will have to go see the movie.

It is probably embellished, but the F4U-5 was one of the highest performance piston fighters ever made. Almost 2500 hp with water/methanol injection, 4000+ lb bomb load (same as a B-25), etc. Very well known as an excellent air superiority fighter. They were pretty nimble and quick (IIRC 450+ mph in level flight).

The F4U was famous for its performance. The only thing that stopped it from being a dominant Pacific War fighter was that it was difficult to land on carriers.

The things were super-fast and extremely maneuverable.

The F4U was famous for its performance. The only thing that stopped it from being a dominant Pacific War fighter was that it was difficult to land on carriers.

The things were super-fast and extremely maneuverable.
That was a plot point in the movie.

I wouldn’t bother unless you’re stuck on a flight and have nothing else to watch.

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on it.

This is the kind of situation where YouTube is good. I can check out little bits and pieces of the movie I'm interested in seeing if I want to.

Back
Top Bottom