• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DHL shipping this time. I wonder if this is a result of UPS being dicks to the industry.

Ordered something from Optics Planet, an Atlas bipod... I know some hate OP, I don't - so many really good deals delivered just as anticipated (slow but otherwise intact :) ).

It's been awhile but in recent history their free shipping came UPS. Well this time, DHL - that's new to me, found it odd from IL to NH.

I wonder if DHL is becoming preferred, ie because they aren't openly threatening the industry. Has anyone else noted this?

DHL should change it's name to POS. I've never had a good experience with them. They seem to be a prep-for-USPS type outfit now. They gather 8 billion packages from the West Coast and bundle them and get them to a USPS hub on the East Coast and then USPS delivers.

What bugs me is shit stays in their warehouse for a week or more. For no reason. I've had several vendors use them. Every single time, the item is a WEEK late. So every single time, I tell the vendor. I'd pay $5 more to not deal with DHL. They suck. I'd take a series of people with trebuchet's launching my fragile product across the country vs. DHL.

DHL should change it's name to POS. I've never had a good experience with them. They seem to be a prep-for-USPS type outfit now. They gather 8 billion packages from the West Coast and bundle them and get them to a USPS hub on the East Coast and then USPS delivers.

What bugs me is shit stays in their warehouse for a week or more. For no reason. I've had several vendors use them. Every single time, the item is a WEEK late. So every single time, I tell the vendor. I'd pay $5 more to not deal with DHL. They suck. I'd take a series of people with trebuchet's launching my fragile product across the country vs. DHL.

I'm not too familiar, but often with other vendors I will +pay for UPS versus USPS as it's such a pain when stuff gets lost. Ebay for me is notorious with lost packages due to economy USPS shipping without easy options to upgrade.

So I will see how this goes :). Although honestly slow I can put up with. It's lost shit that drives me crazy.

DHL hasn't been good since thier failed domestic expansion
They were outstanding for global shipping to some of the most remote areas of the world. I used them almost exclusively for 5 years. Internal customs clearing helped a great deal.

I needed to buy a highly detailed world atlas to find out where the hell I was shipping yacht parts. It was insane.

I wonder if DHL is becoming preferred, ie because they aren't openly threatening the industry. Has anyone else noted this?

Prohibited items include: "Complete firearms, ammunition, explosives, explosive devices, including inert explosives or test pieces, air guns, replica or imitation firearms or ammunition"

They were outstanding for global shipping to some of the most remote areas of the world. I used them almost exclusively for 5 years. Internal customs clearing helped a great deal.

I needed to buy a highly detailed world atlas to find out where the hell I was shipping yacht parts. It was insane.

Back when they were Asian Tiger or Squatting Tiger or Something Tiger.

They suck at customs clearing these days as well. All of their advantages went out the window. It's like the name of the company was bought by someone else that just does a crappy job of first-mile shipping and all of their infrastructure collapsed.

Ordered something from Optics Planet, an Atlas bipod... I know some hate OP, I don't - so many really good deals delivered just as anticipated (slow but otherwise intact :) ).

It's been awhile but in recent history their free shipping came UPS. Well this time, DHL - that's new to me, found it odd from IL to NH.

Other than one really slow delivery, I've never had an issue with them. That slow delivery was on Sig Romeo 1 Pro back when they were almost impossible to get (and it was a great price - $320) and I knew it was on backorder.

Back when they were Asian Tiger or Squatting Tiger or Something Tiger.

They suck at customs clearing these days as well. All of their advantages went out the window. It's like the name of the company was bought by someone else that just does a crappy job of first-mile shipping and all of their infrastructure collapsed.
That’s too bad. I could not have gotten the needed parts to the boat without them. Some places had FedX only in the port area and they were much more restricted but it worked.
The heaviest shipment was a pallet of 1/2” Lexan window covers I made to protect the windows from ice chunks down in Antartica. Boat was ice class rated but a breached window sure would have sucked.

Other than one really slow delivery, I've never had an issue with them. That slow delivery was on Sig Romeo 1 Pro back when they were almost impossible to get (and it was a great price - $320) and I knew it was on backorder.

Oh I'm a big OP fan. Even the backorder side of the coin - so many times I've wanted some barrel, reciever, etc and nobody had it but OP let's me order it cheap and they come through as promised (patience required though).

One thing about OP that is much different from other vendors too, typically their coupon codes, sale codes, apply to anything. That price fixed item - OP will usually let you use a % off code, give you cash back, etc etc. It really adds up.

DHL was great for international shipping to anywhere.

For domestic, it seems like things that are drop shipped are in DHL's wheelhouse. As long as their are major hubs/ports then they seem to do fine.

It depended on where it was going, when I was doing international

To Europe, small stuff was FedEx. If it was going to Saudi Arabia, or thereabouts, DHL was the go-to (though pricey). Some of what passed for street addresses were like the way a backwoods Swamp Yankee would give someone From Away directions. [laugh]

Per NES, they should all change their name to POS.

Form the POS monopoly.

Someone should start a shipping company that is pro-2A, or simply apolitical, and hire a bunch of veterans. What an extreme idea.

They have been using them for sometime. Last few orders were shipped DHL. The only thing I don’t like is they do t give a delivery date. But it always shows up about 6 days after order.

Back
Top Bottom