• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Diesel Generators

Anyone know of a company that makes smaller-size diesel generators that are of a brand that I've actually heard of/has a good reputation?

I only need a 5kw or so (peak) generator...but I'd prefer diesel due to ease of storage & durability. But the only diesel gensets I can find are from some off-brand like "crazy bob's diesel generators" or huge Kubota or Cat units.

There are tons of cheap chinese diesel gensets out there, but good luck getting parts for the things when
they break. The bottom line is that the good small diesel gensets are going to be expensive. Frankly I'd
just stick with gasoline, for a smaller genset... you could easily rotate fuel if you want by pumping it into
your car(s) or something.

If you really want fuel storage permanence, get a huge propane tank and get a propane capable genset. Propane never goes "bad" as long as your tank doesn't leak.

-Mike

Yeah...no desire to get a cheap chinese diesel genset.

Looks like I'm sticking with gas.

Any advice between Inverter or not (I'm looking to run my well or my furnace or my refrigerator)?

I was looking at Honda or Cummins/Onan.

Why would you need an inverter? Do you have a bank of batteries?

I've run my furnace and fridge off my gas 4KW Honda.

You will need a transfer switch and to have it properly installed by a licensed electrician.

Here is a Lister low RPM design generator.

http://psychicworldusa.com/Lister_Gen/Lister1.html
Loading.jpg

Why would you want to have it installed by a Licensed electrician ?

Or maybe your nanny state mandates it ?

I've run my furnace and fridge off my gas 4KW Honda.

You will need a transfer switch and to have it properly installed by a licensed electrician.

If I recall an inverter generator creates power which is then run through an inverter to "clean it up"... Honda offers several inverter generators. They are better for sensative electronics.

My question is- is a furnace & well-pump considered "sensitive electronics" or will they run on dirtier power.

I don't live in a Nanny state...

If I recall an inverter generator creates power which is then run through an inverter to "clean it up"... Honda offers several inverter generators. They are better for sensative electronics.

My question is- is a furnace & well-pump considered "sensitive electronics" or will they run on dirtier power.

Keep in mind not every non-inverter genset puts out trash for power.

The biggest advantage of inverter sets is that they can vary RPM for load, saving lots of fuel in the process, and running quieter overall. A good AVR unit is basically running at full throttle unless the load is zero.

-Mike

IMO DrGrant most likely thought you meant a inverter that turns AC power into DC mainly to charge batteries.

Also IMO A well pump motor would not necessarily need a real clean power source.

I run a Franklyn electric well pump motor on inverter power from battery banks and it works fine but It has also worked good in the past off a generator when our backup inverter was dead.

OK ill have to take your word for that.....BTW what state do you live in ?

ETA: BTW wasn't referring to you with the nanny state statement I was replying to the member that suggested having a licensed Electrician install a gen set.

If I recall an inverter generator creates power which is then run through an inverter to "clean it up"... Honda offers several inverter generators. They are better for sensitive electronics.

I don't live in a Nanny state...

Last edited:
Why would you want to have it installed by a Licensed electrician ?

Or maybe your nanny state mandates it ?

If you are tying your generator into your breaker box and do it incorrectly, you could fry the generator and/or fry a lineman.

I've put several new electrical circuits into my home, but I let an electrician put in the transfer switch.

You are correct, and in the case that your not familiar with electric circuits and or not comfortable then your right a electrician would be a good choice.

But on the other hand if you can read a simple schematic and understand wiring code I see no problem in doing it yourself.

A transfer switch is just like a valve but for electricity if you know how to use a simple VOM you can test your "Plumbing" and know how it will work in the circuit and hence know its safe.

If you are tying your generator into your breaker box and do it incorrectly, you could fry the generator and/or fry a lineman.

I've put several new electrical circuits into my home, but I let an electrician put in the transfer switch.

Mr Twigg is working on a NES group buy for Honda inverters.

I was quoted 899 for the 2000i, which is good for a running 13 amps, 20 peak for a few seconds like a motor starting.

Search for the thread

I found a good DIESEL 7k watt port.YANMAR generator (used), this still cost me over 2k. I located the unit at a site utility contractor business liquidation auction in CT. (although it what was not what I had intended on buying)I think the Co. is called capital recovery group,these goin' out of business sales seem pretty frequent lateley. I use it often for work, & most of my equiptment is diesel,for me it made sense.

some benifts of DIESEL Generators
1/2 Fuel Consumption of Gas
Many Times More Engine Life
Unparalleled Reliability - No Ignition
Better Size & Weight Than Similar Gas Engines
No Evaporating Fuel or Carburetor Gumming
Effortless Starting ( Electric or Hand Recoil on smaller units)
Long Term Fuel Storage O.K. ( 5 + years or More)
Non Explosive Fuel = Better Insurance Rates
Inclined Operation O.K. ( No carburetor Floats )
Counter Balanced Engines-Diesels are Smoothest
Re buildable Engine Format ( Inexpensive )
Latest in New Engine Technology ( No Tune ups )
Much Simpler Maintenance

Yanmar makes a whole line of portable diesel generators
http://www.yanmar.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=63

The yanmar engines are pretty well built. Low cost to own, air cooled, pull start not a whole lot to worry about.

The only issue with them just like the Honda's is that they are a brush type generator, meaning they have brushes so you will periodically want to run them for a minute or two every month to prevent corrosion between the brushes and the rotor. Your furnace and pump is not a supersensitive electronic device and will work fine without an inverter I just would be hesitant to run a highend plasma tv or something of that sort.

If you have oil heat in your home another benefit of having a diesel generator is that it can run on home heating oil. So in SHTF situations you only need to locate 1 type of fuel. The small diesels are pretty much exempt from much of the newer epa TIER regulations so most can still be run on straight vegetable oil.

After the big ice storm here in the NE and having a POS Chinese Harbor Freight and Garbage seize up on the second day I started looking for a good replacement that I would run my whole house on without breaking the bank.

After comparing every US maker out there I and several friends ended up buying the Briggs&Stratton 30210. It is an 8K watt/13.5k Surge. Retail price was $1750 I believe and many places on line had them for $1500 delivered. Just when we about to order them I happened to look in a newly delivered Tractor Supply catalog and there was the same generator for $1299.00 delivered to the local store.

We are now looking at propane conversions that will allow the generator to switch between using propane and gasoline. That way we can store several propane bottles for long term storage but if we run out of propane we can then use fresh gas rather than trying to rotate/store quickly degrading gasahol.

Bob

I was looking at the Briggs generator too. My parents have the 5.5k/8k surge (I think that's the rating) and it's run great the few times they have used it. I may just go with that since Briggs parts are everywhere...

Anyone know of a company that makes smaller-size diesel generators that are of a brand that I've actually heard of/has a good reputation?

I only need a 5kw or so (peak) generator...but I'd prefer diesel due to ease of storage & durability. But the only diesel gensets I can find are from some off-brand like "crazy bob's diesel generators" or huge Kubota or Cat units.

I've found that propane is better than Gas or Diesel.

http://www.poweredgenerators.com/propane-generators.html
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/propane.php
http://firemountainsolar.com/generators.html

It could be difficult to aquire or take delivery of propane in large volumes in MAJOR SHTF.A diesel unit can run on home heating fuel,marine diesel,kerosine,cookin oil,fuel syphoned from big rigs const equipt etc.Most of the masses will be competing for gasoline,As a whole diesel consumtion is relitively low for transportation,your biggest competion for fuel will be the military as most of their equiptment is diesel & for good reason.It is NON-EXPLOSIVE unlike gasoline or propane.It is as easy to transport as any liquid.There are some extreme cold weather concerns but aditives can ward off water & gelling issues.I suppose you could install big expensive propane tanks & get home delivery via delivery truck.Insurance Co.s tend to frown on volume propane storage,and all that is gas related.
( I have heard alot about this as a local police officers home had a LP gas related explosion last month it leveled the house & damaged a dozen others)
I always have some full tanks on hand,nothin' worse than running out at the big BBQ w/ a yard full of quests, but i'm leaving the big propane issues to Hank Hill.
Diesels my choice,but to each his own.[wink]

I plan to install a marine one as they are small and reliable. They are also readily available in New England serviced & used. I have heard enough horror stories on the Chinese ones to stay well away. Mainly in their short service life measured in 10's of hours vs. 100's in the case of marine ones. You can also run home heating oil in a diesel. At any given time there is at least 150 gallons on hand in my home. In an extended blackout it would go right into the generator tank.

I was at Chappel tractor over the weekend - and they had Kubota diesel generator brochures - I should have grabbed one, but I am pretty sure the front of the brochure said they started at 7Kw. That's close to your 5Kw requirement.

I bet they are still expensive.

I would try Ebay - I know I have seen them show up there every once in a while.

Here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Generators-Kubo...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

$4900.00

Try Northern tool

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Northern Tool yet, I just got the master catalog from them and it appears to have a bunch of diesel AND propane units, as well as tri-fuel and standard gasoline powered units. Lots of Honda generators, Yanmar, Onan Cummins, and others. Even a unit that incoporates a compressor. Check it out and use it as a guide, at least.

Hope this helps.

Make sure you guys with gas generators are using Stabil in the fuel all the time, even when using it. The gas today is not very good and the ethenol breaks down in little time resulting in a gen that doesn't start when you need it.

Generators

I purchased a tri-fuel generator from Northern Tool 16 years ago. Mine is plumbed to run on Natural Gas for uninterrupted fuel supply when gas stations were out of power. Also can run on gasoline or LP. No storage issues with Natural Gas. This unit has a Briggs & Stratton 16 HP V-Twin w/electric start. Output is 10K on gasoline and 8K on Natural. Very reliable - never had a problem.

Just remember that while you have no storage issues with Natural Gas, that is an organizational service dependancy. Expect that in a true SHTF emergency event, the Natural Gas distribution service will be discontinued. While Natural Gas is an ideal fuel for power outages and limited natural disasters, it's not something to count on for SHTF response.

Back
Top Bottom