Dillon Mat vs Appleseed.

rogersmithiii

NES Member
I'm going to spring for a shooting mat for doing Appleseed. I like the Dillon very much, but one of the seed instructors told me that one benefit from the Appleseed mat is that you can throw it into the washing machine, whereas other mats are too bulky for that. He advised going with the seed mat, and adding a chunk of shag carpet on top.
Curious to what others experiences are? My take on carpet is that it would get embedded with sand and dirt, making it pretty gross to lie on top of.

Thanks

I'm going to spring for a shooting mat for doing Appleseed. I like the Dillon very much, but one of the seed instructors told me that one benefit from the Appleseed mat is that you can throw it into the washing machine, whereas other mats are too bulky for that. He advised going with the seed mat, and adding a chunk of shag carpet on top.
Curious to what others experiences are? My take on carpet is that it would get embedded with sand and dirt, making it pretty gross to lie on top of.

Thanks

I have an old Cabela's matt that's padded and waterproof. Just rinse it off with the hose, let it sun dry, no need to sanitize it.

I went with shooting mat from midway. Brush it off and it’s good.

id suggest getting a lighter color. it MIGHT show the dirt more, but on a sunny day you don’t want a dark mat. Trust me.

mine is black on bottom but light tan on top. Rain will puddle on top but I sweep it away during preparation period

Last edited:
It’s a shooting mat. I’m not going to wash it. Brush it off or spray it with a hose if necessary.

But also, along the same lines of “it’s just a shooting mat”, I’m sure the Appleseed will work just as well as many others.

Like northny, I just got one from Midway USA. It has served me well for a few years of service rifle competition and doesn’t seem to be worn at all. Keeps me dry on wet grass and relatively clean on dirt.

Creedmoor Sports makes nice ones. I’ve washed mine in the machine a few times and it’s held up. Air dry on a line though.

Thanks for posting this, just bought one. Need a mat for one of the ranges down here.
I've used it in the snow and rain. Kept me warm and dry as long as I folded it in half when going down range. Enjoy.

I picked up a Creedmoor mat. It's real nice but a little on the pricey side.

If you're looking for a shooting jacket the Creedmoors are super nice. Made to order. Only problem could be the price. A decent Creedoor will set you $400 or more. Mine was over $500.

Extra padded Creedmoore mat for me. They are top quality . Only downside is the black textured rubber pads on a hot 90f sunny day in July and touching bare skin ! BURN baby BURN. Learned my lesson and i place a white beach towel over the mat

Yup, that's the one I bought 5 years ago, and used it for the first time at last year's Appleseed event.

Equally important if you're doing Appleseed is a pair of comfortable elbow pads. I had no idea how much time I'd spent in the prone shooting position. Even on a padded mat, your elbows take a beating.

Yup, that's the one I bought 5 years ago, and used it for the first time at last year's Appleseed event.

Equally important if you're doing Appleseed is a pair of comfortable elbow pads. I had no idea how much time I'd spent in the prone shooting position. Even on a padded mat, your elbows take a beating.
Agreed. I’ve been to a few. First I ended up duct taping my raw elbows. Not good.

Back
Top Bottom