• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Distrust of police is major driver of US gun violence, report warns

mikeyp

NES Member
From a Gifford's report :rolleyes:

Police brutality, over-enforcement of small infractions and high numbers of unsolved homicides have eroded trust in law enforcement

The lack of trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve is a major driver of gun violence in cities across the United States, a new report by the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence warns.
In many American communities, acts of police brutality, over-enforcement targeting small infractions and high numbers of unsolved shootings and homicides have eroded trust, making residents less likely to place their trust in law enforcement and more likely to seek vigilante justice, the researchers note.

“Everybody has largely missed the fact that if people can’t count on help from the state and its agents, they’re going to take care of themselves,” says David Kennedy, the director of the National Network for Safe Communities, a violence reduction research center, whose work is referenced throughout the report. “Sometimes taking care of yourself looks like day-to-day gun violence.”

The report also spotlights examples of trends in cities like Camden, New Jersey, and Oakland, California, where community-led efforts have led to a significant decrease in gun violence rates.

“Communities have the answers and can address and treat gun violence. But law enforcement gets the lion’s share of any city budget in the country,” says Fernando Rejón, the director of the Urban Peace Institute, a not-for-profit organization that trains violence interventionists. “For a [violence reduction] strategy to work, law enforcement needs to be able to do their work, intervene and provide alternatives, but there also has to be community investment.”

‘A racial injustice’
Gun violence in America is still highly geographically concentrated and disproportionately affects black and Latino communities in city neighborhoods. African Americans make up more than half of all homicide victims in America, according to the report. Black men comprise less than 7% of the US population, but 51% of gun homicide victims. In 2016, homicide was responsible for more deaths among black men between the ages of 15 and 24 than every other cause of death combined.

More than half of homicides of black Americans don’t lead to an arrest, the report notes, and nearly three-quarters of all unsolved murders in these cities have involved a victim who was black.

“We hear about disproportionate impact and it’s important to speak clearly about how that’s a racial injustice,” says Ari Freilich, a lead author of the report and policy director at Giffords. “That number would be unheard of in every high-income country in the world.”

Most homicides are perpetrated by a very small percentage of the population, often known to law enforcement. Street groups involved in violence constitute on average less than 0.6% of a city’s population, with an even smaller percentage of that group actually perpetrating violent crimes.

And yet in communities across the country, including some of those hardest hit by gun violence, researchers documented a concerning combination of distrust in law enforcement, underreporting of crimes, declines in witness cooperation and engagement with officers, less informed policing, unsolved murders and spikes in violence.

Instead of acknowledging this complicated phenomenon, many departments uphold myths of cities described as “murder capitals”, where residents are accused of being complacent about gun violence and unwilling to help police hold shooters accountable.

“So much of what isn’t working about traditional policing is built on myths and leads to policies that treat whole communities as part of the problem rather than victims, witnesses and the solution to violence,” says Freilich.

“Law enforcement are inheritors of a history of racism and violence,” Freilich adds. “And police are frequently tasked with implementing and enforcing racist laws.”

“When you are thinking of an entire community as violent you flood neighborhoods with all kinds of enforcement,” says Jesse Jannetta, a senior policy fellow at the Urban Institute.

“Rather, if you can identify a small number who are at an elevated risk of shooting and being shot it opens up a number of intervention possibilities.”

Violence prevention
The report also puts local knowledge and experiences on a national stage, highlighting examples of cities with successful collaborations between communities and law enforcement, as well as police departments that have made progress in confronting the history of racial violence that looms over departments.

“We know a bunch of issues are real, it’s our kids that are dying,” says Reygan Cunningham, a senior partner with the California Partnership for Safe Communities, a not-for-profit that seeks to build collaborations between law enforcement and violence reduction groups. “But people don’t hold official power. Putting this on a national platform forces officials to wrestle with this.”

In Oakland, California, gun homicides dropped 44% between 2007 and 2018, a Guardian analysis found. The drop coincided with a rise in clearance rates for homicides, and with the growth of collaborations between local faith leaders and grassroots organizers who have pushed the police departments to adopt progressive policing practices.

“Law enforcement became more effective,” the Giffords report says of Oakland. “Homicide solve rates rose from 29% in 2011 to over 70% six years later, suggesting that community trust and partnership were improving, too.”

Even though Oakland has made massive strides, gun violence remains a stubborn issue throughout the city. In 2019 Oakland saw 74 murders in 2019, significantly fewer than years before but a small uptick from the 67 homicides in 2018.

While the role of law enforcement officials in violence prevention remains polarizing in some communities, many say that law enforcement participation is essential if the downward trend will be sustained.

“Police action and inaction are a really big part of the problem. Still I don’t think we’ll make the progress we want if police aren’t a part of our agenda,” says Vaughn Crandall, the co-director of the California Partnership for Safe Communities.

“I think depending solely on community efforts to solve your violence problems is unfair and unrealistic.”

Stockton, California, a small city located in the state’s Central Valley, is one of the few Bay Area towns that saw an uptick in gun homicides between 2007 and 2017.

Since then, the total number of homicides in the city has declined from 55 in 2017, to 33 in 2018. The city closed 2019 with 34 homicides.

The Stockton police chief, Eric Jones, has gained praise for implementing and being an early adopter of racial reconciliation practices between police officers and the communities they serve.

Jones and his staff hold monthly trust-building sessions in the city, where together officers and residents confront the historical pain that policing has caused in communities of color, which he describes as a sometimes uncomfortable but necessary task.

“It’s painful for everyone but they’re undeniable facts,” says Jones.

“We tell officers, “It wasn’t you, but there’s a burden on the badge you wear: from slave patrols to enforcing Jim Crow laws, and the suppression of civil rights.”

• This article was amended on 21 January 2020 to correct the total number of homicides in Stockton between 2015 and 2017, and for the year 2018.

The Gifford's nonsense

1579659658772.png
In the past decade, the criminal justice reform movement has occasioned a national reckoning around the ways police departments operate in underserved communities across the country. Americans across the country are asking the question: Who receives protection—and at what cost?

In Pursuit of Peace: Building Police-Community Trust to Break the Cycle of Violence explores how community trust, policing, and gun violence intersect in 21st century America. As the report explores, extensive research indicates that when communities experience over-enforcement of minor infractions and under-protection from violence, trust in law enforcement plummets. Without a foundation of trust, community members become less likely to report crimes and participate as active witnesses with law enforcement.

This lack of trust and participation makes it much more difficult for law enforcement to hold people accountable for violence, and in the absence of a trusted or effective justice system, encourages a desperate few to resort to vigilante, retaliatory violence instead. Instances of police violence are often the most visible manifestations of this breakdown in trust, and make it much more difficult for communities and law enforcement to work together to ensure that all residents are healthy, safe, and free.

In recent years, a number of communities, including Camden, New Jersey, and Stockton, California, have taken important steps to build community trust, reform ineffective policing practices, and reduce violence. In Pursuit of Peace explores the trust-building efforts in progress in cities around the country and highlights the lifesaving potential of these critical reforms.

The gun violence prevention movement owes a debt of gratitude to the activists and organizations that have long been fighting to make policing and the criminal justice system at large fairer and more equitable for all (for an incomplete list of these organizations, see our Acknowledgements on p. 3 of the report).

It is our hope that In Pursuit of Peace both elevates difficult truths about the way our system frequently fails our most underserved communities, and serves as a collective call to action to build earned and durable trust between American communities and the law enforcement agencies that serve them.

I stopped reading when it saw the Giffords name. F them. I really can’t stand those two.

Yep, a lot like Alex Jones. That being said, I would believe Alex before I would give the Giffords the time of day.

Alex Jones can at least make me laugh.

Are they talking about the trust building process, kind of like when I give the government my tax money and hope they do something constructive with it instead of blowing it on crappy ideas like this?

Are they talking about the trust building process, kind of like when I give the government my tax money and hope they do something constructive with it instead of blowing it on crappy ideas like this?

schiff-trump-impeach-managers.jpg

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I stopped reading when it saw the Giffords name. F them. I really can’t stand those two.

Same. Not worth reading that nonsense. My brain hurts enough already.

The headline is sort of true, though. We don't trust police to show up instantly or actually protect us when we call, so most of us carry guns when we go out, and have them available for home defense. Common sense tells you that there's going to be a number of times those guns are going to get used for their intended purposes, which almost always gets the incident labeled "gun violence."

This article is just more antis being anti.

Gifford and her husband are or were gun owners. She gets shot and now all guns are bad. She should quit wasting time and lobby for something worthwhile.

There's no money from Bloomberg, Soros & co in any of that stuff, though. When she didn't die the antis swooped in basically did their swan song thing on them, just like they did with Jim Brady. Antis love exploiting people for their own ends...

-Mike

Well, I gotta say: If places like Ferguson, MO didn't use tickets to significantly help fund the city budget, there wouldn't be as big of a police-populace problem. You can't go into an poor inner-city-type neighborhood, tax the F out of them via BS fines and expect respect in return.

Add in the Interwebs and almighty uniter Obama and you get a recipe for disaster.

Not a lick of it is about guns, tho. Guns. Bottles. Rocks. Knives. Baseball bats. Whatever is handy. And it's not a MAJOR driver. But it's a driver in some areas. Fergy being one of them.

(And look it up - Fergy cops were TOLD to write X$ of tickets so they could fund the city budget. What sort of F'd up nonsense is that?? And to think that the people HATED the police there??? If I were the po-po, I'd be high-tailing it out of that town. Damn!)

POC don't trust the police because the police are always shooting them.

Police are always shooting POC because by and large they commit more crimes than any other constituency, and the officers are probably scared out of their minds.

It's a vicious cycle. There's more than just a bit of irony there, as the POC are generalizing that all police are bad, yet don't want be lumped in with the bad element within their communities, either.

All generalizations are false.

When a guy with 38 prior arrests murders some collage girl in cold blood , I don't think its the cops that's the problem.
They didn't put that scumbag back out on the streets.

Back
Top Bottom