• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do braces count for awb?

TDG

NES Member
Since all post ban ARs have to have less than 2 features usually resulting a pinned or fixed “stock”, can you have a “brace” instead that’s collapsible or foldable? Been wondering this for awhile.

Since all post ban ARs have to have less than 2 features usually resulting a pinned or fixed “stock”, can you have a “brace” instead that’s collapsible or foldable? Been wondering this for awhile.
A brace is on a pistol. Pistols have a different list of evil features.

Can’t you put a brace on a rifle? Doesn’t it just make it a rifle with a brace?
no, you cannot.

edit to clarify: federally, a rifle is defined in part by its being designed to be fired from the shoulder. braces are designed to support the firearm away from the shoulder. installing a brace makes it definitionally not a rifle.

thus they are called pistol braces.

no, you cannot.

edit to clarify: federally, a rifle is defined in part by its being designed to be fired from the shoulder. braces are designed to support the firearm away from the shoulder. installing a brace makes it definitionally not a rifle.

thus they are called pistol braces.
Gotcha

It’s easier to make an AR pattern weapon in MA comply with the rifle provisions of the AWB than a pistol. Don’t bother with the pistol route unless you want to make it manually operated or fixed mag.

It's not the metal, what if those rubber bands let go?

But yeah, sure, sign me up, what could go wrong.
Aren't the ruber bands there to keep the mouth from opening too much?

So, it wouldn't be a problem if they let go.

Print this. Memorize it.

View attachment 574981
Is there a less memey version of this?

Would love a cut and dry version of this without the attempts at humor. If I was to share this with someone whose already on the fence about guns the more direct and serious it is, the better.

For pro 2A people the markup is funny, maybe? I guess? But to people 100% out of the loop on how retarded the ATF the red markup is just noise at best.

Would love a cut and dry version of this without the attempts at humor. If I was to share this with someone whose already on the fence about guns the more direct and serious it is, the better.

For pro 2A people the markup is funny, maybe? I guess? But to people 100% out of the loop on how retarded the ATF the red markup is just noise at best.
I shared this with a brand new gun owner, it actually helped him understand it better.

I haven't seen a clean version.

The ghetto way of fixing it, but it works, is to cut rectangles and paste them over the parts you don't want. Then save it and take a screemshot.

even that doesn't get into the nuances of the "other"

A brace is not a stock. If you start with a bare receiver, and you don’t make it into a rifle, I don’t see why not. Look at the “others” that are legal in CT, NY, and NJ. Nobody has realized it yet (because we have better options in MA), but an Other is also MA legal, for the same reasons :)

And you can also have an Other with a 16” barrel if you prefer.

Last edited:
A brace is not a stock. If you start with a bare receiver, and you don’t make it into a rifle, I don’t see why not. Look at the “others” that are legal in CT, NY, and NJ. Nobody has realized it yet (because we have better options in MA), but an Other is also MA legal, for the same reasons :)

And you can also have an Other with a 16” barrel if you prefer.
Be cautious in MA. The MA definition is different. If it has a 16" barrel, it's a rifle and subject to those rules. If the barrel is less than 16", it's a firearm, and subject to those rules.

Be cautious in MA. The MA definition is different. If it has a 16" barrel, it's a rifle and subject to those rules. If the barrel is less than 16", it's a firearm, and subject to those rules.
Of course. I’m talking about federally.

The rules around transportation, carry etc are different of course, but under state law people with LTCs can own both MA rifles and MA firearms so it’s less of a “is this illegal to possess” question.

Last edited:
Of course. I’m talking about federally.

The rules around transportation are different of course, but under state law people with LTCs can own both rifles and firearms so it’s less of a “is this illegal” question.
My understanding of the question is "how does this interact with the AWB?"

My understanding of the answer is "regardless of brace or stock, a 16" barrel is a rifle and a sub-16" barrel is a firearm. Both are subject to the AWB"

My understanding of the question is "how does this interact with the AWB?"

My understanding of the answer is "regardless of brace or stock, a 16" barrel is a rifle and a sub-16" barrel is a firearm. Both are subject to the AWB"
Why are you using the state definitions when talking about the AWB? The AWB is a pointer to federal law. I know there is some disagreement on this point, but it’s very likely that the AWB uses federal definitions for its terms.

Federal rifles might be assault rifles. Federal pistols might be assault pistols. Federal firearms/others…well, there’s no definition of an assault other.

Why are you using the state definitions when talking about the AWB? The AWB is a pointer to federal law. I know there is some disagreement on this point, but it’s very likely that the AWB uses federal definitions for its terms.

Federal rifles might be assault rifles. Federal pistols might be assault pistols. Federal firearms/others…well, there’s no definition of an assault other.
Because you're getting arrested and tried based on MA law, by a MA DA, under guidance from the MA AG, not federal. That thewording of the MA AWB mirrors federal law does not mean that the test will be based on federal definitions of pistol/rifle.

At least, I have yet to hear an attorney admitted to the MA bar argue otherwise.

It's the simplest way though

Trying to sanitize it for nons would require twice as many words

Youd have to make an instructional video out of it.

Back
Top Bottom