• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do cruisers get snow tires?

kalash

NES Member
Random question that popped into my head... Do local and state LE cruisers get snow or studded tires in the winter? I'm guessing it varies by jurisdiction, right?

Depends a lot on the town. All of the PD's around me have at least one suv and a pickup truck, many of them are all suv's, some have the awd chargers.

Depends a lot on the town. All of the PD's around me have at least one suv and a pickup truck, many of them are all suv's, some have the awd chargers.
Sure, but do they get snow tires or chains? I'm not looking to get into another snow tire debate, I'm just curious what LEOs have regardless of drivetrain type.

Random question that popped into my head... Do local and state LE cruisers get snow or studded tires in the winter? I'm guessing it varies by jurisdiction, right?

My cousin Joe asked me that question, when he was doing research for a bank robbery a few years ago. He wanted to know the performance of the vehicles that would likely be chasing him.

I'll tell you the same as I told him - buy a used cruiser (or as similar a vehicle as he can) and put it through its paces. If you NEED to know, MEASURE, don't ask.

If he'd listened to me he might not have been caught.

My town was two Tahoe's, both with Wrangler AT tires all year. About a quarter of the town roads are dirt, so switching back and forth wouldn't gain much.

Goodyear and Firestone (now owned by Bridgestone) both make “Pursuit Rated” winter tires.

Some MSP Explorers I’ve seen have Goodyear Ultra-Grips. The Firestone Firehawk PVS exists but haven’t seen them personally.

They look like the Nokian WR-G2 (which came out about 10 years ago).

Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2 Tires | Goodyear Tires

Last edited:
Sure, but do they get snow tires or chains? I'm not looking to get into another snow tire debate, I'm just curious what LEOs have regardless of drivetrain type.
The short answer is no, not enough room in their budgets and cops know how to drive, they get by fine without them. I drove a cvpi for a couple years in college (needed a cheap ride) and never used snows. Some of the hill towns might issue chains or put all terrains on their suv's/trucks, but only where they really get a shit ton of snow.

Do MSP Explorers on the Mass Pike have them? It was either there or up on 89 in NH where I saw them, the winter tire siping is quite distinctive.

The short answer is no, not enough room in their budgets and cops know how to drive, they get by fine without them. I drove a cvpi for a couple years in college (needed a cheap ride) and never used snows. Some of the hill towns might issue chains or put all terrains on their suv's/trucks, but only where they really get a shit ton of snow.
Very funny you mention that! I was out driving around during a storm with a buddy in an Outback with VTD and Nokian winter tires. We came up upon a local [Hampton, NH] PD cruiser, stuck. So we stopped and asked if he wanted some help? Had a tow hitch and a pull strap. Easy.

And he started yelling at us that we shouldn’t be out driving around in this storm!

My first thought was, “No, you are the one who shouldn’t be out driving in this storm! We are all set!

But instead we just drove away, and I made it a point to edge over into the soft snow where he got stuck and cruise off just to show him how shitty his equipment was.

####
Have another cop/winter storm story that’s really old. I’d been restoring a 1969 SAAB 96. Had gotten it back on the road, but hadn’t gotten it inspected. Big storm came and we were invited up to Jackson NH to ski. A FWD car with four snows (155/75x15!) was the best available transport from Portsmouth (where I lived).

Get up to Jackson and there’s a big tie up on a steep hill and a NH state trooper. He stops us and says “You don’t have an inspection sticker.” Tell him restoration/storm/best choice and he said, “I’d have done the same thing.”

Most departments I worked for (City, State and Federal agencies) used chains if snow was bad or if ICE was called for. 2019 AWD Explorer will still slid in the snow ( night shift and was bored ) even at 10 mph, with Goodyear tires. You drive and respond slower. ( ARRIVE ALIVE ).

Back
Top Bottom