• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do holsters wear out & need replacement?

StevieP

NES Member
Slow work day. Mind got to wandering...

As the subject says - do holsters wear out??

e.g. a Crossbreed SuperTuck kydex/leather IWB.

The leather is quite worn in. Hardly worn out.

The Kydex still holds my M&P9c tightly. If it got 'stretchy' could you just take a hair dryer / heat gun to it and snug it back up?

The belt clips seem OK. No visible cracks or other wear. Was thinking if anything was gonna break, it might be these snapping (?).

Do you guys replace them just as a matter of course? Or just wear them till they wear out? Or never replace them because they haven't worn out or broken?

Do holsters wear out & need replacement?

Never had leather or kydex wear out. But no you can't use a hairdryer to reshape kydex cuz unless your dryer can get it from 340-400 degrees it ain't happening. If my clips snapped I'd just order replacement clips.

I have had two holsters wear (stretch) out. One was IWB that did it in about a year. mfg replaced it. Replacement going strong over a decade later. Other was shoulder holster that went about 10 years of winter wear. That one I just tossed. Both I found when testing retention.

I also had belt snap go on double mag carrier. Fixed that myself.

All with leather.

It would be really wise to replace any Holster you don't trust anymore.

You don't want to pad yourself and discover something is lacking.

(Pad: This is what I call my habit of touching my pockets, etc, to ensure my Wallet is there, my Keys are there, my Phone is there, my Gun is there.)

I figure the thing to wear out on my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck will be the threads for the belt clips. I have to tighten them once every two weeks and eventually they might start to strip; the rest of the holster still looks brand new after a full year.

Slow work day. Mind got to wandering...

As the subject says - do holsters wear out??

e.g. a Crossbreed SuperTuck kydex/leather IWB.

The leather is quite worn in. Hardly worn out.

The Kydex still holds my M&P9c tightly. If it got 'stretchy' could you just take a hair dryer / heat gun to it and snug it back up?

The belt clips seem OK. No visible cracks or other wear. Was thinking if anything was gonna break, it might be these snapping (?).

Do you guys replace them just as a matter of course? Or just wear them till they wear out? Or never replace them because they haven't worn out or broken?

Only when they are worn out and need replacement. ;)

I figure the thing to wear out on my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck will be the threads for the belt clips. I have to tighten them once every two weeks and eventually they might start to strip; the rest of the holster still looks brand new after a full year.

Have you tried locktite on the threads? Med strength (blue) did the trick for me when I had the same problem with the clip screws on my hybrid holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ankle holsters get stinky after awhile. The Velcro breaks down with washing, too. But I like the DeSantis Apache, so buying a replacement is no biggie.

Yes, absolutely. Leather will wear over time and loose it's stiffness and molding. Just like everything else in the world, it will wear. A little care will slow this process down. The applies for belts, bags, car seats and other leather items.

Regards,

Andy
Holster maker....

Back
Top Bottom