Do I ‘need’ a 45/70 trapdoor Springfield?

mousegunguy

NES Member
I don’t think I need one but I really, really want one.
I just don’t know what I could realistically use it for.
Then there’s the whole new project of tracking down everything that I’d need to make the ammo. Brass, primers and more black powder or trailboss.
I’d like to cast my own bullets so that’s a new mold, or 2.
It’d turn into a big project for a gun that I’d love to own but I’m not sure what to do with other than hunt Buffalo & I doubt MA will ever have Buffalo season.
Thoughts?

Yes you do and get a can of Unique. Its great for trapdoor loads. You can make powder puff loads on up with it. Works great with a wide range of bullet weights too, I like ~350gr bullets for mine.

Then there’s the whole new project of tracking down everything that I’d need to make the ammo. Brass, primers and more black powder or trailboss.
It’d turn into a big project for a gun that I’d love to own but I’m not sure what to do with other than hunt Buffalo & I doubt MA will ever have Buffalo season.
Thoughts?
This is the weirdest question I've ever heard.
The answer is a simple “why don’t you have one already”

The trapdoor is awesome for so many reasons.

It’s a chunk of amazing American history.

It shoots the amazing 45-70 which can be loaded with shot, multiple balls, light projectiles to super heavy bullets which even within trapdoor smokeless loads or black powder can handle anything in the US hunting wise.

They’re super fun to shoot and super cheap especially with you own cast boolits and a pinch of unique.

Grab one ASAP. Get a Lee mould and a Lee Loader and don’t look back.

Last edited:
Thoughts?
Yes, you actually need one.

For BP cartridge rifles, I’ve maybe only have seen one that would group worth a darn … easily my least favorite of the BP rifles. In our Schuetzen matches we used observe the pattern of “who would be in last place” (the TDs), just based on the variety of other arms present, e.g., Ballards, Maynards, Stevens 44-1/2s, Sharps, Winchester High Walls, etc.

To me, like Colonel Townsend Whelen, one of our old time most-quoted gun writers, opines: “Only accurate rifles are interesting.”

If your’s groups … well good for you!

There are two 45-70 at M&B Sports:

Springfield Model 1873 45-70 Gov't Trapdoor 32-5/8" bbl 264038 3 stage hammer. Excellent Bore, All Parts proper w/bayonet and "RIM" Frog $1500.

Browning 1885 Hi Wall .45-70Gov’t 28” 08738PY247 $820.

Thoughts?
yes, get it

This is the weirdest question I've ever heard.
The answer is a simple “why don’t you have one already”

The trapdoor is awesome for so many reasons.

It’s a chunk of amazing American history.

It shoots the amazing 45-70 which can be loaded with shot, multiple balls, light projectiles to super heavy bullets which even within trapdoor smokeless loads or black powder can handle anything in the US hunting wise.

They’re super fun to shoot and super cheap especially with you own cast boolits and a pinch of unique.

Grab one ASAP. Get a Lee mould and a Lee Loader and don’t look back.
You ask all the old guys at my club what they're running for a load and the answer is somehow always "Oh you know" about 10gr of unique.
I say go for it though as somebody who endlessly collects across all spectrums of military surplus firearms.

I'd think the Browning is new production and can handle higher pressure loads. It's got a beautiful brass receiver and all of that glitter.
You'll have to call to verify this, or search the serial number data.
I think I prefer the old guns with the ‘been there & done that’ kinda feel to them.

There are two 45-70 at M&B Sports:

Springfield Model 1873 45-70 Gov't Trapdoor 32-5/8" bbl 264038 3 stage hammer. Excellent Bore, All Parts proper w/bayonet and "RIM" Frog $1500.

Browning 1885 Hi Wall .45-70Gov’t 28” 08738PY247 $820.

$1500 seems like a lot.
$820 - no idea.

ADDING:
The 45/70 cartridge is 148 years old and still kicking a**. The 45/70 will reach 200 years and still be a great round.

It is so much fun to reload, there are so many options, so many bullet weights, you can pack that thing with black powder and be safe or reload with smokeless (with caution).

You can compete out to 1,000 yards with it or kill any animal alive today.

Back
Top Bottom