• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need reload data books?

MXD

I know its nice to have hard copies but it seems all the info is available on the web and can be printed out. Is there vital stuff in the books that not on the web or is it the same info? I am an "E" guy and I hate paper so since I'm new at this I figured some of you with more experience could give me some good advice.

As far as load data on the web, we should have a sticky with links on top of this page for quick reference. Just a thought.

For all hodgdon powders go here.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Every book i have looked at has the same data.

Edit: i still believe its a good idea to have the books on hand. not just for the load data but If you need a quick referance its right on the bench. plus every time i read one of my books I tend to find some small item i skipped the last time (example: i skiped the ewhole rifle section cause i never thought i would load rifle cartridge's).

Last edited:
Where's Duke to tell you that you will die if you don't buy a reloading manual? [laugh]

I recommend Speer's #14. It's less absurd than most. Getting data from the powder manuf's website is useful also. Sometimes the published loads in -some- manuals are too wimpy, so you have to do some research/leg work to see where the real maximum is for your application.

-Mike

When the internet is down and you hit the reloading bench your screwed!
I know its nice to have hard copies but it seems all the info is available on the web and can be printed out. Is there vital stuff in the books that not on the web or is it the same info? I am an "E" guy and I hate paper so since I'm new at this I figured some of you with more experience could give me some good advice.

As far as load data on the web, we should have a sticky with links on top of this page for quick reference. Just a thought.

I have the Sierra 4th & 5th edition. Mostly for the exterior ballistics section but also for loads. Beyond that I have electronic copies (.pdf) of the free handout manuals. I only reload for a couple of calibers though.

B

It's easier and faster for me to find something in a manual than online. I load for about 2 dozen calibers so I keep several manuals on hand. Online info is always suspect. I think you're less likely to get a typo from a manual because someone proof reads it.Once you gain experience,you'll probably recognize a typo. When you're just starting out, you may not.

The websites for the powder and/or bullet companies are a good starting place, but you're going to quickly find that their info is limited, and that there's much more data in the manuals. It's also a good idea to check several sources for data before loading.

I wouldn't trust a lot of the load info that 'some guy' posts on the web. It's worth what you pay for it.

Keep in mind that if you start asking for load data here because you can't find it on the web, anybody that answers will have looked it up in a paper manual. If you do it a lot, I''l remember this thread and tell you to buy some manuals. [wink]

Reloading manuals are important, but only to peg a ballpark. More importantly you need to keep your own records. Write everything down so that if you ever have a eureka moment you can go back and look at the raw data again in a different light. For your own loads it's important to reload in ladders of increasing powder so that you can not only pick out a personal favorite but you can check for over pressuring before designating it as your official load. Normally with our reloads when we build a ladder we feel for comfort as far as recoil, but also chrono the loads to give us an idea of where they are compared to factory loads.

[smile]

You need a few.

The trouble with the freebees is that you only get the maximum loads and they say to reduce by 10%.

Get the Lyman 49th Reloading Handbook if nothing else.[smile]

Keep in mind that if you start asking for load data here because you can't find it on the web, anybody that answers will have looked it up in a paper manual. If you do it a lot, I''l remember this thread and tell you to buy some manuals. [wink]

A subtle message received loud and clear [smile] I wish some others would follow your lead with their delivery [wink] (no one in this thread by the way)

I am not opposed to buying manuals and I wasn't trying to opt out of the $20 per but like I said, I hate paper anything but I'm glad I asked. Looks like I will have to overcome my disdain for anything "hardcopy"

No, you won't necessarily die if you wing it. The reloading data books put you in the ballpark immediately, however. And, the testing that is done (for the reloading data books) is scientific testing, done with calibrated test equipment. So, you can rely on it to be safe. If you're an advanced reloader (not a new reloader!), then you might want to stretch the limits of the data, and find where things fit best for you. Quite typically, max pressure isn't always where your gun/load performs the best. Sometimes, it's between starting loads and max loads. Part of the answer to that rests with, "What will you be doing with the load?"

You will most likely HURT yourself an your gun if you don't rely on some scientifically developed published source of reload data. All it takes is a typo (which we have seen many times here at NES.... well intentioned but accidental typos) to mess up your day.

BTW, I also LIKE the Speer #14 book. I have been a fan of the Speer books since the 1970's, when I started reloading. For me, they are clear and concise, easy to read and understand, and are laid out well. But, I also have other books that I also refer to, only up-to-date-ones. Never rely on an older (out of date) book..... The chemistry for the powder changes, even the exact same powder, for one thing.

Where's Duke to tell you that you will die if you don't buy a reloading manual? [laugh]

I recommend Speer's #14. It's less absurd than most. Getting data from the powder manuf's website is useful also. Sometimes the published loads in -some- manuals are too wimpy, so you have to do some research/leg work to see where the real maximum is for your application.

-Mike

I agree with Jim on this one.

The websites for the powder and/or bullet companies are a good starting place, but you're going to quickly find that their info is limited, and that there's much more data in the manuals. It's also a good idea to check several sources for data before loading.

I wouldn't trust a lot of the load info that 'some guy' posts on the web. It's worth what you pay for it.

I like a lot about the Hodgdon powders, and suggest that reference a LOT here. I trust that they have done their homework (scientifically)

For all hodgdon powders go here.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Every book i have looked at has the same data.

Edit: i still believe its a good idea to have the books on hand. not just for the load data but If you need a quick referance its right on the bench. plus every time i read one of my books I tend to find some small item i skipped the last time (example: i skiped the ewhole rifle section cause i never thought i would load rifle cartridge's).

I've got the Speer #14, Lyman #48, and Hornady #7. I tend to reference all three, as well as any other data I can get my hands on, when selecting a starting load. You really can't have too much information to work with, and there are differences between the loads in the various manuals. Plus they look good on a shelf and make you look like you actually know what you're doing [wink].

I would urge acquiring one or two books (one of which should be Lyman) for reasons beyond simply grabbing a load recommendation or two: sitting down on a day when you have some time and just reading through the books, particularly the "how to" sections in the front, will serve well to acclimate you to both the specifics and the general mindset that makes reloading a safe and fun way to spend time.

Hornday, Lyman, Speer, Sierra. Get more if you can, then you can go with the electron version of everything else.

If you are loading 180 gr FMJ in 40 cal. for example should you only look for the bullet type you are using (montana gold, rainer, etc.) in these books and if there not there do you go with the data for the 180 gr FMJ of another type bullet ?

I like Modern Reloading Second Edition, as the load data is very complete. It has average velocity for starting and max loads, as well as pressure for both as well. It also has sections on casting and shooting cast bullets. Of all the books I have, (ABC's, Lyman, Hodgedon, Alliant, Speer, and Modern reloading) I like Modern Reloading about the best. Though it is good to have a selection. I just added several, and am glad I did. You can never have too much knowledge and information on hand.

The web based stuff is good as well, but it will never be as good as a shelf full of books. And as someone pointed out, it makes you look like you know what your doing.

If you are loading 180 gr FMJ in 40 cal. for example should you only look for the bullet type you are using (montana gold, rainer, etc.) in these books and if there not there do you go with the data for the 180 gr FMJ of another type bullet ?

Yes, I switch between Montana Gold, Zero, and some old Star FMJ 180s and get the same result. The OAL is going to change a little if they are JHPs though.

Is the OAL enough to be a problem or is it not significate when using these different types of bullets ..zero, star, montana gold ? strictly speaking 180gr FMJ RN no JHP

I have a few books, but I haven't really used them for data. I've only loaded 9mm for IDPA/USPSA so far, and the popular loads for that are rarely in the books. I've found the forums at brianenos.com a great resource. When you read for a while, it becomes pretty clear whose load data you can trust and whose is iffy.

When reloading you need all the reliable information you can get. Published data from reliable sources is your first source. A chronograph is the second (and invaluable) source, IMHO.

I suppose you can get away with not having books and use just "e" info. I like having the books on hand too, being in IT I can only stare at my laptop screen for so long.

If you you don't want to spend too much on reloading manuals Loadbooks USA puts out their "One Book / One Caliber" books. They are nothing more than photocopied pages from manufacturers load books.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003193210759a.shtml

I came across one week last week for just a couple bucks. It's handy but, I suspect the load data in may not be the most current or complete. The copyright date is 2004. Then again, maybe not much has changed in six years. I did compare the Alliant info to Alliant's manual the recipe is correct but half the info is missing.

There is a good list of manufacturers websites that publish free reloading data online here: http://ammosmith.com/forum/general-reloading/published-reloading-data-links/

Back
Top Bottom