• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I really need a barrel block? AR-15

Hey everyone, I'm going to build my first upper from parts. I've got an upper vise block, but I read that it's dangerous to use the upper block to put on a muzzle device and that I need to use a separate set of barrel blocks.

Is that true? I see a lot of youtube videos of people just using a normal upper block.

I've never used one. The muzzle device doesn't need that much torque.

I've never used one. The muzzle device doesn't need that much torque.

Especially here in MA where it must be welded, pinned or silver soldered, anyway. You could do it just finger tight if you wanted, wont make any diff once it's permanently attached.

If your using a new crush washer I dont think you'd need it, I just changed mine out you dont have to go crazy on torque

I think 20ftlbs should be enough....maybe a touch more to get the device in proper orientation.
You could simple cut a few blocks of wood with a V cut in them to hold and protect the barrel in a vice.

Yea, I have done this many times but I have a DPMS Upper Receiver Action Block. I can't see a muzzle device needing that much torque.

Back
Top Bottom