Do original posts....

...still exist once they are edited?

Let me explain:

If someone posts something and then goes back and edits the post, does the original post, in its original form, still exist? I know that if a search engine were to come across the post in its original form it would be cached, but does the original post exist anywhere on the forum?

For example, if someone had posted the name of an out of state dealer that will ship into Mass and then edited the post to remove the name of the dealer, as the moderators do, does the original information remain anywhere?

No, I haven't done this. I'm just curious if an aggressive Attorney General could use a warrant to uncover the name of the dealer. Of course, it would be "for the children..." [rolleyes]

If someone quotes your original post or any post and then you edit your original, unless an admin/mod/quoter change their post, it could remain...but in the scenario you mentioned, an admin/mod would likely correct the quoted post.

If someone posts something and then goes back and edits the post, does the original post, in its original form, still exist?

Somebody could always have saved the original post locally when they happened to see information that probably shouldn't have been posted and is likely to get pulled. Hypothetically, of course. I've never done anything like that. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom