Do SBR laws apply to preban firearms?

I am considering buying a pre-ban 1988 AR15. I understand that I am allowed to have all the "evil" features because of its pre-ban status. I am, however, still confused about the limitations regarding the barrel length and overall length of the gun. From what I know, the laws on a minimum rifle length of 26" do not apply to pre-ban guns.

My question is: do these same exemptions apply to Short Barrel Rifles (SBRs)? By going preban, Is it possible to get a barrel shorter than 16" without having to submit paperwork to the ATF?

Federal laws are distinct from Massachusetts laws -- you need to fully comply with both sets of laws to be legal.

My question is: do these same exemptions apply to Short Barrel Rifles (SBRs)? By going preban, Is it possible to get a barrel shorter than 16" without having to submit paperwork to the ATF?
There is no concept of "preban" in federal law, the NFA is fully applicable to a 1988 AR15.

I am considering buying a pre-ban 1988 AR15. I understand that I am allowed to have all the "evil" features because of its pre-ban status. I am, however, still confused about the limitations regarding the barrel length and overall length of the gun. From what I know, the laws on a minimum rifle length of 26" do not apply to pre-ban guns.

Yes to your title question.
SBR is NFA which is fedbois
AWB bullshit is state level.
Follow both or don’t, I’m not your father. Be an adult and make adult decisions. YMMV.
Go green.

In my state (CT), since we have an 'assault weapon ban' we can only SBR a pre-ban or one that was 'certified' as an assault weapon before 2014.

Detailed here:

Back
Top Bottom