• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you log your contacts, and if so how?

Sometimes I write down the call, name, and repeater if I've talked to the person a couple times. Sometimes I add quick notes, like what the topic of discussion was (usually only when the topic was guns).

HRD is what I use. Yes it will work with out a radio connection. It will automatically connect to lotw and eqsl if you use them. It is a very nice logging program.

Back in the day I used to keep paper logs and in my opinion that is the best way because it leaves you with something you can hold in your hand and look through from time to time. Nowadays with most of the contacts being QTH, RST, NAME and hello, goodbye I use the log program in Fldigi.

will that work if you are not connected to the radio?

I haven't tried that but it looks like the other posters have. There are still lots of features I haven't learned to use yet but so far I really like it.

Damn -- that's one thing I forgot about when you asked for advice on the IC-745 -- the lack of a CAT interface! It's really not that big of a deal -- in fact, when I had my IC-735 at that same time those rigs were new, I really couldn't see what all the hoopla was about the CAT interface. Now I couldn't do without for fixed environment -- go figure! For portable and backpack operation, I use a little Arrl Mini Log, and recommend the ARRL Logbook for home use -- it's the standard most of us remember back over many decades. I'm sure there's lots of folks on here that remember the days when we were required by Part 97 to maintain a log. That being said, Ham Radio Deluxe, or any of the other logging programs, will work fine without being connected to a rig via the CAT, but you're losing out on one of the biggest boons to hit ham radio over the last 20 years.

Damn -- that's one thing I forgot about when you asked for advice on the IC-745 -- the lack of a CAT interface! It's really not that big of a deal -- in fact, when I had my IC-735 at that same time those rigs were new, I really couldn't see what all the hoopla was about the CAT interface. Now I couldn't do without for fixed environment -- go figure! For portable and backpack operation, I use a little Arrl Mini Log, and recommend the ARRL Logbook for home use -- it's the standard most of us remember back over many decades. I'm sure there's lots of folks on here that remember the days when we were required by Part 97 to maintain a log. That being said, Ham Radio Deluxe, or any of the other logging programs, will work fine without being connected to a rig via the CAT, but you're losing out on one of the biggest boons to hit ham radio over the last 20 years.

Yeah, I knew that when I bought the radio. But for the price how could I go wrong? I'm still loving this radio - and actually being able to hear and talk to people! The frustration factor is way down! I fought with that damn 706 for so long trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. When I was finally convinced it was dead I put it up on QRZ as a parts radio and got $200 for it, so really the 745 cost me $50 depending how you look at it! So nice to be able to actually use the radio!

I'll upgrade in time, but for now I'll live with it happily.

I wasn't going to put HRD on since I couldn't really use it, but I've got in on now and will use if for logging if nothing else.

hmmm... I keep getting an error: "Enter no more than 0 characters" when I try to enter something or pull data from qrz... Is there a setting somewhere I need to fix? really annoying...

COMPATABILITY WITH LoTW

Waking up this thread for some fresh answers. For what little Dx I do I use LoTW. I have Ham Radio Deluxe but haven't spent much time with it and haven't tried uploading files to LoTW. I've heard HRD's integration with LoTW is "workable" but not great. Anyone use different logging SW that "just works"?

Waking up this thread for some fresh answers. For what little Dx I do I use LoTW. I have Ham Radio Deluxe but haven't spent much time with it and haven't tried uploading files to LoTW. I've heard HRD's integration with LoTW is "workable" but not great. Anyone use different logging SW that "just works"?
If you use the HRD log you can simply upload your entries to LOTW. It's very simple.

Guys, thanks for the answers. I have HRD but haven't spent much time with it. It's good to know I won't be wasting my time. I'm going to inflict my newly developed 5wpm CW skills on this weekend's CW contest and use HRD for logging and uploading.

Back
Top Bottom